PDA

View Full Version : A Good Month

The Dude
04-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I think this month's issue has some good articles, definately worth reading. My early frontrunner for favorite article is Scott Anderson's Way Ahead or Way Behind, or whatever he called it.

TheShootah
04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I have to vote for the Razz article, but I am bias, so I count really count.

nolanfan34
04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this month's issue has some good articles, definately worth reading. My early frontrunner for favorite article is Scott Anderson's Way Ahead or Way Behind, or whatever he called it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure who this Anderson character is, but that ARMSTRONG guy sure knows something. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Dude
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Why is your quote off? My screen says "Armsrtong," and all evidence points toward the undeniable fact that you're the only person who thinks I wrote "Anderson." Gosh, you're stupid.

The Dude
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't play Razz, so obviously that can't be the best article. In fact, had Mason had the courtesy to ask me before he selected the articles, I would have told him to put another Scott Anderson article in there instead. Oh well, I guess that's why 2+2 will never be a success.

TheShootah
04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Armstrongs article was good, but you obviously never experienced Razzy goodness. And to insult the writer in the most rude manner possible.... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

The Dude
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that's like, your opinion man.

TheShootah
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I agree. I think Razz is a very educational game in general, and think everyone is missing out by not playing it at least a little bit. But to everyone their one.

MEbenhoe
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I think Razz is a very educational game in general, and think everyone is missing out by not playing it at least a little bit. But to everyone their one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally love Razz, and used to do well at the $5 and $10 tourneys on planet poker. I'll have to read your article when I get the chance.

MEbenhoe
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this month's issue has some good articles, definately worth reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I really like one of the articles /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TheShootah
04-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Haha, I wonder which. I thought your article was great. A really good idea in fact. Whenever I take a break from poker I take up backgammon or chess.

Danenania
04-27-2005, 12:39 AM
I just read Ed's article and thought it was great. Perfect for those trying to move on from the SSHE stage.

Justin A
05-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Dude,
You own the internet magazine forum.

blackaces13
05-06-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My early frontrunner for favorite article is Scott Anderson's Way Ahead or Way Behind, or whatever he called it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a bit of a problem with the following line from that article:

[ QUOTE ]
Something like queen-jack suited was a small possibility, but he's tight enough that, playing against me, I felt he probably would have let it go on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how anyone folds an OESD to the nuts on a rainbow flop to a $150 bet into a $275 pot. He's getting almost 3:1 immediate odds and very good implied odds as they both have over $1200 in chips left. How can this be dismissed so readily as a possibilty?

nolanfan34
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a bit of a problem with the following line from that article:

[ QUOTE ]
Something like queen-jack suited was a small possibility, but he's tight enough that, playing against me, I felt he probably would have let it go on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how anyone folds an OESD to the nuts on a rainbow flop to a $150 bet into a $275 pot. He's getting almost 3:1 immediate odds and very good implied odds as they both have over $1200 in chips left. How can this be dismissed so readily as a possibilty?

[/ QUOTE ]

As the author of the article, I'll respond to this.

You're correct that most players wouldn't fold that. And I didn't discount it altogether, but I did give it only a slight chance for a couple of reasons:

- It's not quite a strong enough hand for this particular player to have called PF with. This guy played pretty tight, and with players left to act behind him, I figured a weaker broadway hand like that he might toss away.

- More importantly though, is that fact that many non 2+2 players don't really consider the odds. Think about it, we think about that stuff instinctively at this point. Most of the time in a hand, I don't really have to even do the math on stuff like this, because it's apparent either way usually what the action is.

But for many beginning players, and this particular player had been playing Hold Em for less than a year at this point, things like outs, odds, stack size, bet size, etc, don't even come into consideration. Many of the regular guys in my tournaments would only look at the bet of 150, and look at it as just a bet in a vacuum. They don't think that they're getting 3-1 to call with 8 possible outs, etc.

So in the end, seeing that this guy was not a calling station type or chaser, I felt that there was a pretty good chance he'd fold a hand like that on the flop.

Online I would generally not make the same assumption.

And FWIW, this particular player has continued to improve very rapidly since this tournament, and I'd probably have to put him on a wider range of hands now.

The Dude
05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't try and defend your article. It's nowhere near as good as Scott Anderson's.

nolanfan34
05-06-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't try and defend your article. It's nowhere near as good as Scott Anderson's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been living my whole life under the shadow of Scott Anderson, why would this be any different. /images/graemlins/frown.gif