PDA

View Full Version : Suited Connectors early in tourney

jzpiano14
04-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Do you guys played suited connctors early in a tourney, I have begun to fold them mainly because if you do hit your draw I don't want to risk my stack early with only a 35% chance to hit. Is this the right thinking?

Bigwig
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I'll play them from the SB or in late position, with limpers in front. Otherwise, hit the muck.

1C5
04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
35% chance to hit what?

Maulik
04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
there are many ways to take down small pots early. You could hit 2 pair, a pair and win it by re-raising a small bet with nothing, etc. it becomes a question of analyzing the texture of the flop and if you beleive you can outplay your opponents on the flop.

that said, the more you play, the more you'll gain confidence in your play.

raptor517
04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
the more you play the more you will realize how useless suited connectors are in sngs. you flop too many draws that you can lose your stack with. its not worth it. holla

jzpiano14
04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
If you have your flush draw or straight draw, average

lastchance
04-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Limping after limpers is always good, but other than that, I toss a lot of them into the muck. I like playing small PP's better.

Nick M
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with raptor once again. Coming from Cash NL games I started to play SNGs with the same strategy, trying to break someone off. This is the right strategy, it just shouldn't be done with SCs. They drain the chips. 1st round and 2nd in late position, I call with them, hoping to god I get a free card or flop the nuts. But I don't call a raise with them and I always calculate the odds. They are a waste.

valenzuela
04-25-2005, 08:26 PM
The only suited connector I play is AKs.

Tilt
04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the more you play the more you will realize how useless suited connectors are in sngs. you flop too many draws that you can lose your stack with. its not worth it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

holla to that

Cry Me A River
04-25-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

there are many ways to take down small pots early. You could hit 2 pair, a pair and win it by re-raising a small bet with nothing, etc. it becomes a question of analyzing the texture of the flop and if you beleive you can outplay your opponents on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also justification for playing "any two"...

In a cash game, sure, in a MTT with deep stacks and slower blinds, sure, but in an SNG the only times I'm playing suited connectors are:

- In the BB/SB

- On the Button/CO with a whole table full of limpers for a very small percentage of my stack (ie: lvl 1 or if I've aquired a huge stack) particularly against loose/bad opponents where implied odds are huge if you hit your hand

- A steal

Suited connectors (except the obvious like AKs and KQs) are only slightly better than "any two". I'd rather play A6 than 78s and I almost never play A6 except bubble/itm/head's up....