PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Hands Out of Position - Flop Play

AUTEX
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I play Party 2/4, so most of you are familiar w/ the types of games/opponents that are prominent.

Lately I've been having trouble playing mediocre hands out of position.

Usually the situation I'm referring to comes up in unraised pots when i limp w/ small cards from the SB, or when I get a free play in the BB.

An example would be flopping middle pair w/ something like 4 7 on a 2 7 8 flop. I think there's a good chance I have the best hand a lot of the time against a small number of opponents who are probably on overcards.

The line I've been taking most of the time has me leading out on the flop and usually getting a caller, but then being unsure of the correct play on the turn when a face card or ace falls.

If I check the turn when a scare card falls most opponents will see it as a sign of weakness and autobet, leaving me w/ a difficult decision how to play the hand from there on out.

If I bet out again on the turn, and an opponent once again calls, I'm unsure whether I'm ahead at this point or not. I'm then left w/ the same difficult river decision of checking/betting since my opponent could easily have been drawing, calling down w/ bottom pair/ace high or have hit his face card on the turn.

Another line I've sometimes took is going for a check-raise on the flop, but that leaves me in the same sort of predicament of having to probably bet out the turn if a face card or ace falls, and only having second or third pair.

I suppose I could check-call the flop and see what comes up on the turn, but I hate playing passively, as it usually leads to tough decisions later on in the hand.

I realize its usually a pretty situational/opponent-dependent decision, but if anyone can help me get an insight into a strategy you've found to be the most successful I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tim H
04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
well if you check raise the flop you are committing yourself to leading the turn.

personally, in early position with middle pair I have been betting the flop. Check/raising the turn and hoping it gets checked through on the river.

If I face any resistance I will usually give it up unless I put him on overs.

AUTEX
04-25-2005, 07:10 PM
The problem I see w/ that line is that you're giving up two big bets and still may not be able to get to a showdown.

At least you get to a showdown against a typical calling station for those same two big bets if you continue to lead the turn/river.

The thing I like about your line though is it SHOULD force an opponent out on the turn who didn't hit and isn't drawing.