PDA

View Full Version : Went pro, but now I'm bored

CostaRicaBill
04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
About 2 months ago, I quit my job in Costa Rica and went pro. Everything is going well financially (cost of living is very low here), but now I find myself with a ton of free time, feeling unproductive and bored during the day. During the hours that I have free, my friends are either working or studying, and the hours that I play, they all want to hang out.

I have considered taking some classes at one of the universities here to get my Spanish back up to par, or doing some web design on the side. I was also thinking about traveling and living in another Central/South American country for a month or two while playing. Any suggestions?

lucas9000
04-25-2005, 05:58 PM
are there a lot of hot women in costa rica?

i know that doesn't answer your question (or does it?), but i'm genuinely curious. i have convinced myself that every south/central american country is filled with hot women.

Apathy
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
If you can't choose your own hours and go out with your friends at night, you probably aren't good enough to go pro.

CostaRicaBill
04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't choose your own hours and go out with your friends at night, you probably aren't good enough to go pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your productive response.

[ QUOTE ]
are there a lot of hot women in costa rica?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, more than I ever imagined before coming here.

Beerfund
04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I was a "pro" for 9 months before I got so bored I joined the Army and got to go to Iraq for 9 months and fight for democracy. Problem solved.

TimM
04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Beats me, I have the same problem.

A typical day is, I wake up, after noon, eat breakfast, shower, then play a 3 hour session. Then I eat dinner and watch a movie on cable, play another 3 hours and then read 2+2 until 6AM. I get some chess and weights in a couple times a week each. I have a lot of free time, but like you said its at times that are usually not a good time for anyone else.

SinCityGuy
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
You can always get a real job like I used to have, with unrealistic deadlines, incompetent co-workers and corrupt management. You definitely won't have to worry about having too much free time.

sublime
04-25-2005, 06:23 PM
and fight for democracy

you mean protect the bush familys investment in oil?

Beerfund
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and fight for democracy

[/ QUOTE ]

Go fukc yourself a sshole. How many mass graves have you seen in your life?

sublime
04-25-2005, 06:27 PM

none. and no reason to get mad with me. i admire anybody who would/will fight for this country. i just think the people running it are greedey scumbags, who dont give a [censored] about you or anybody else you served with.

CostaRicaBill
04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
and fight for democracy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, no hijacking!

[ QUOTE ]
A typical day is, I wake up, after noon, eat breakfast, shower, then play a 3 hour session. Then I eat dinner and watch a movie on cable, play another 3 hours and then read 2+2 until 6AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically what I do to, Is this pretty much typical for other pros?

sublime
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
This is basically what I do to, Is this pretty much typical for other pros?

yes. i need to start working out again.

Dex
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but now I find myself with a ton of free time

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that must suck really bad.

Beerfund
04-25-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

none. and no reason to get mad with me. i admire anybody who would/will fight for this country. i just think the people running it are greedey scumbags, who dont give a [censored] about you or anybody else you served with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, maybe that's true maybe not. The people fighting over there sure as hell aren't fighting for oil, and every single one chose to be there.

drewjustdrew
04-25-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And his girlfriend keeps asking him to judge a sorority house d*** sucking contest, but it is always held during the Super Monday tournament. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

LotsOfOuts69
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About 2 months ago, I quit my job in Costa Rica and went pro. Everything is going well financially (cost of living is very low here), but now I find myself with a ton of free time, feeling unproductive and bored during the day. During the hours that I have free, my friends are either working or studying, and the hours that I play, they all want to hang out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to working for the man 9am-5pm, 5 days a week for the next 40 years of your life, for less money than you are making now.

Or get another hobby.

Dex
04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And his girlfriend keeps asking him to judge a sorority house d*** sucking contest, but it is always held during the Super Monday tournament. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

After all, one must have one's priorities straight.

sublime
04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Alright, maybe that's true maybe not. The people fighting over there sure as hell aren't fighting for oil, and every single one chose to be there.

believe me i have nothign against the men and women who choose to be in the armed forces. its what the leaders of this country decide to do with those forces that makes me want to vomit.

CostaRicaBill
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Hey I wasn't complaining that much, I just feel like I could be doing something more productive.

And no, the dick sucking contest isn't until friday night, which cuts into peak playing time. You see the dillema?! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Uglyowl
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
If we are fighting for oil why are gas prices so f'n high.. besdies this is not the time nor place for this conversation. That was my main point. Sublime despite the Red Sox logo, I think of you like a Yankees fan now.

TimTimSalabim
04-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Iraq oil production is way down from pre-war levels, which is one reason oil prices are higher. But yeah, this isn't the time or place.

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
This is the wrong forum so I'll just make this one post and won't respond again. But I think oil is a pretty [censored] important thing to fight for. I fought for it in the first Gulf War. I won't make any pretense about fighting for the Kuwaitis. Sure we helped them out, but if you think oil isn't worth fighting for you have no idea how important it is.

Alobar
04-25-2005, 07:17 PM
I only skimmed the resonses, and I see it kinda got mentioned before.

But uhm, why cant you just play during the day and go out at night?? Problem solved. People who refuse to play in the day because they think it is harder, bug me.

Alobar
04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but if you think oil isn't worth fighting for you have no idea how important it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes dying and killing so fat lazy americans can drive their inneficient gas cuzzling SUVs to work, and so the bush family and friends can stay wealthy, is ineed very import.

Im gunna tke the same stance that "this is my only reply on this subject in this thread" too. But man, in the grand scheme of life and what really matters, oil is worth about as much as the crap floating in my toilet bowl I forgot to flush this morning.

wacki
04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

believe me i have nothign against the men and women who choose to be in the armed forces. its what the leaders of this country decide to do with those forces that makes me want to vomit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, do you think afghanistan is about oil?

CostaRicaBill
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
It's not that I refuse to play in the day and I never see my friends. I still go out a lot but I prefer to play at night and just have lot of free time during the day, that's all.

Dead
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and fight for democracy

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew there was a reason I liked you, sublime. You're okay in my book.

Alobar
04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, do you think afghanistan is about oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire reason we are in afghanistan (terrorism) is because of our presence in the middle east. And we are in the middle east for one reason, and one reason only...black gold.

[censored], I promised I wasnt going to respond anymore.....ok, off to the booksttore, and im never opening this thread again (only way I can keep my mouth shut, heh)

sublime
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
i am glad we can agree on this issue 100%

Blarg
04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
We're barely even in Afghanistan at all any more, and haven't been much of a presence there for quite a while now. Our troops were diverted from the war on terror to go fight elsewhere.

Anders_G
04-25-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we are fighting for oil why are gas prices so f'n high..

[/ QUOTE ]

In Sweden gas cost ~10sek/litre. That's about $1.5/litre. One US Gallon = 3.785 litres. That's $5.68/gallon. Quit your moaning

tdarko
04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and so the bush family

[/ QUOTE ]
you may not like him or believe in him but please capitalize.

J_V
04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Lots of prostitution. But if you want to hook up with the hottest women on the planet - Costa Rica is it. Love Americans and are very hot.

TStoneMBD
04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
do you have to watch out for stds down there?

sublime
04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
what does 'fighting' for oil have to do with prices?

the bush family BLEEDS oil. i mean they are so entrenched in the oil industry its impossible not to see the correlation between that and the constant military presence in iraq.

Blarg
04-25-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and so the bush family

[/ QUOTE ]
you may not like him or believe in him but please capitalize.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Believe in"? Someone is getting waaaaaay carried away here.

cnfuzzd
04-25-2005, 10:08 PM
the great thing about the OOT forum is that its not the politics forum. Seriously dudes.

http://img164.exs.cx/img164/7827/offtopic8mg.gif

peace

john nickle

ilya
04-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Play more, so you don't have any free time to be bored.

TrishaT
04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
only boring people can be bored

STLantny
04-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Ive taken up golf, pool, taking lessons in both. I still go out, just meet up with friends at like 11, rather than 9. I also am brushing up my unused computer security skills, that ive laid to waste for a couple years in preperation for my true vocation. Between that, 2 nights of class, working out, im fairly busy.

sublime
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
you tell him trisha

tdarko
04-26-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Believe in"? Someone is getting waaaaaay carried away here.

[/ QUOTE ]
carried away? i have no idea what you are talking about, i was just saying that our president's name should be capitalized.

and yes you don't have to believe in what our president's policies are or even like him, that is your choice...i have no idea how that is "getting carried away," sounds very diplomatic to me.

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:41 AM
bushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbu shbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbush bushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbu shbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbush bushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbu shbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbush bushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbu shbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbush bushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbushbush

tdarko
04-26-2005, 01:43 AM
haha, you must be 16.

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:44 AM
naw, 26. i just get silly some times.

Bush!

KaneKungFu123
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and fight for democracy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who died in iraq war got totally pwned by bush and company....

wacki
04-26-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush!

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh out loud. I must be really bored if a capital letter can make me laugh out loud.

sublime
04-26-2005, 01:49 AM

oh boy. this one will rile up the locals.

Beerfund
04-26-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

oh boy. this one will rile up the locals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, for one, won't justify his ignorance with a response.

tdarko
04-26-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This made me laugh out loud. I must be really bored if a capital letter can make me laugh out loud.

[/ QUOTE ]
me too! but his lower case post of Bush's name over and over made me lol too though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kurosh
04-26-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is serious, wtf is wrong with you? DICK SUCKING FROM A HOUSE FULL OF HOT GIRLS or playing a tournament with little chance of making a big score?

CostaRicaBill
04-26-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is serious, wtf is wrong with you? DICK SUCKING FROM A HOUSE FULL OF HOT GIRLS or playing a tournament with little chance of making a big score?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, it is not. There are no sororities in Costa Rica and I have yet to be the judge of any dick sucking contests.

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
"If we are fighting for oil why are gas prices so f'n high"

Because prices have been kept "artificially" low in the past because of our relationship with the Saudi's, and then suddennly one day they couldn't turn the tap on any higher.

tolbiny
04-26-2005, 02:29 AM
"i was just saying that our president's name should be capitalized."

Why?

Phat Mack
04-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Poker is a great thing to do when you are doing something else, but it's nothing to base a life on. Want to write a novel? Develop unified field theory? Learn to tap dance? Train for the Tour de France?...support yourself playing poker. Think of what you want to be and start working on it. Sounds like a platitude, but it's the best advice I can offer.

CostaRicaBill
04-26-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a great thing to do when you are doing something else, but it's nothing to base a life on. Want to write a novel? Develop unified field theory? Learn to tap dance? Train for the Tour de France?...support yourself playing poker. Think of what you want to be and start working on it. Sounds like a platitude, but it's the best advice I can offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, someone actually answered! Thanks Phat Mack.

blatz
04-26-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A typical day is, I wake up, after noon, eat breakfast, shower, then play a 3 hour session. Then I eat dinner and watch a movie on cable, play another 3 hours and then read 2+2 until 6AM. I get some chess and weights in a couple times a week each.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was always my goal in life, and like everything it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I've picked up some hobbies I never dreamed of...weightlifting (an hour between sessions, and I'm a wuss)...I'm setting up a garden and bake desserts. If it wasn't for the weightlifting, I'd wonder if poker was turning me gay.

My recommendation, move to New Orleans. At 2 AM, when I'm done playing, I can still go out untill 5. (or 6) (or...well, you get the idea)