PDA

View Full Version : Made low and a four straight...

mscags
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Anyone play this differently? I figured I was beat on sixth but I raised because I still had the four straight and figured I could get a free showdown if I wanted it.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.5 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___completes
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___calls

4th Street

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds

5th Street

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls

6th Street

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls

River

Hero: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___checks
Seat 4: xx xx T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___checks

djr
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't have completed 3rd, but otherwise I like the line.

WHen seat 3 bet on 5th, he currently has no low, I'd guess he just made aces or he bluffed. Therefore, on 6th your low is still probably good and raising seems like a good idea. Even though I think your low is good on 6th, seat 3 could pick up anything on the river and beat you there, so checking through is a good move.

Andy B
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't think your hand is quite worth raising with on third, but it's certainly not a terrible play. The bet on fourth and the raise on fifth are mandatory. If you had failed to make either, I would be forced to make fun of you.

Seat 3 bet a board of 3KA on fifth street. This should represent a high hand. Maybe he's got a wheel draw and feels invincible, but he should know that it's very likely that you have a made low, and you could have a wheel draw yourself. Since he should have a high hand, I'm guessing a pair of Aces or <shudder> Kings, I think that you can assume that you have the best low on sixth and raise. If it turns out you're wrong, it's not the end of the world because, as you point out, you're open-ended.

I would be sorely tempted to bet for value on the end. Give them a chance to fold their single pairs.

mscags
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Anytime that I have a hand worth playing and I'm showing an Ace I usually raise that way when I have actually have AA it adds some deception. Unless there is another A showing. Is this a decent play or something I shouldnt be wasting my money with at levels like 1-2 and 3-6

Andy B
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, you do want to raise some with three-card lows, especially with an Ace in the door, so that you're not too predictable. That said, as you pointed out, you don't need to engage in a whole lot of deception against oblivious opponents. I wouldn't make it my default play.

Anyone who's been watching me on Stars the last few days has probably noticed that I raise somewhat more than would seem reasonable.

vulturesrow
04-25-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, you do want to raise some with three-card lows, especially with an Ace in the door, so that you're not too predictable. That said, as you pointed out, you don't need to engage in a whole lot of deception against oblivious opponents. I wouldn't make it my default play.

Anyone who's been watching me on Stars the last few days has probably noticed that I raise somewhat more than would seem reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think I may have to sweat you on stars just because. /images/graemlins/smile.gif When are you usually on???? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy B
04-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Depends. I think I'd better take tomorrow off. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll probably be on a lot on Wednesday if I'm not working.

mscags
04-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Main Pot: $31.5 | Rake: $1
mikescags balance $8.75, lost $10.25 [ 7c 6h As 5s 8d Qd 7d ] [ LO: 8,7,6,5,A | HI: a pair of sevens -- As,Qd,8d,7c,7d ]
jstar7220 balance $83.17, sits out
protube balance $39.88, bet $10.25, collected $15.75, net +$5.5 [ 4s 6s 3c Kd Ac 7h 6c ] [ LO: 7,6,4,3,A | HI: a pair of sixes -- Ac,Kd,7h,6s,6c ]
flopmaster53 balance $34, bet $10.25, collected $15.75, net +$5.5 [ 2d Tc Ts Qs 8c Kh 9c ] [ a pair of tens -- Kh,Qs,Tc,Ts,9c ]

bigredlemon
04-27-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your hand is quite worth raising with on third, but it's certainly not a terrible play. The bet on fourth and the raise on fifth are mandatory. If you had failed to make either, I would be forced to make fun of you.

Seat 3 bet a board of 3KA on fifth street. This should represent a high hand. Maybe he's got a wheel draw and feels invincible, but he should know that it's very likely that you have a made low, and you could have a wheel draw yourself. Since he should have a high hand, I'm guessing a pair of Aces or <shudder> Kings, I think that you can assume that you have the best low on sixth and raise. If it turns out you're wrong, it's not the end of the world because, as you point out, you're open-ended.

I would be sorely tempted to bet for value on the end. Give them a chance to fold their single pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seat 3's bet on 5th represent more of a low hand than a high hand. More often than not, people with 2 babies betting into someone showing 3 babies for 8-low usually has a draw to lower low and good high chances. At least at lower levels I play at.

with the low + high draws, he wants get TQ in for 2 big bets to build a bigger pot, as well as get some info from you as a perk. If you started with a big pair other than aces, you'd probably call his bet when the ace hits. If you have low and hence no pair, it's an easy raise for you.

If he just has aces on 5th, he'll probably either check/raise to get it heads up if he doesn't think you have high, or he'll check/call and try to hit two pair if he thinks you have low.

(i actually yelled don't raise 6th! when i read the HH /images/graemlins/blush.gif )

ps. ironically, i think you may likely have gotten half if seat 3 bet 7th

btw Andy, I'd 3bet 6th in seat 3. What do you think?
could scoop if TQ folds. Bigger pot if not.

Andy B
04-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Seat 3's failure to three-bet on sixth is pretty dreadful. He has a board lock for low, and is probably drawing live for high, especially if he can get it heads-up with mscags.