PDA

View Full Version : My First Crack At 6 Max (3 Hands)

-Skeme-
04-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Stars just added 6 Max for NL and I decided to take a shot at it. I only played about two orbits. $.5/$1 NL 6 Max.

-----
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed)

MP ($95.80)
CO ($237.85)
Button ($29)
Hero ($100)
BB ($86.90)
UTG ($80.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, BB calls $9, UTG folds, MP calls $9, Button folds.

Flop: ($32) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20, MP calls $20.

Turn: ($92) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $70 (All-In)</font>, BB folds, MP calls $65.80 (All-In).

River: ($227.80) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $227.80
-----
This is maybe my 4th or so hand. This table appears to be pretty fishy and loose, but that's as far as it goes for reads at this point. I'd noted that they'll call big raises preflop. With them all limping I figured I'd raise big.. figured I'd get calls. I'm not sure why I didn't bet close to $25-$30 on flop. It probably would've been better. They both call. Hmf. I absolutely hate my turn bet. I just basically refuse to go into wuss-mode and check-call anything. Should also be noted that the "only get called by something better" concept isn't always true in these low limit 6 Max tables. I've found from frequently watching these games that players assume since it's 6 Max, it's correct to call with mediocre holdings.
-----

-----

CO ($38.50)
Button ($221.85)
SB ($42.80)
Hero ($320.80)
UTG ($27.10)
MP ($109.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, CO calls $3, Button calls $3, SB calls $2.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $17.

Flop: ($52) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $300.8 (All-In)</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $352.80
-----
With my large preflop raise earlier, it seemed like I was kind of a maniac, although I did show down Kings. Anyways, this hand comes up shortly after. UTG makes it $3 and everybody calls. Knowing that people at this table like to call large raises, I figure I'd make a big raise that might look like a steal and get a caller. Pretty big raise, but with everybody in the hand I had to narrow it down. Flop is pretty standard, right? SB calls off half of his stack and folds. Nh.
-----

-----

MP ($35.50)
CO ($218.85)
Button ($22.80)
Hero ($450.20)
BB ($24.10)
UTG ($106.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, MP folds, CO calls $3, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $7, CO calls $7.

Turn: ($35) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG calls $20, CO calls $20.

River: ($95) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $13</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $106</font>, Hero folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $214
-----
And this gem came shortly after my last KK all in hand. I decided to check-raise on this draw-heavy board as it comes off as a stronger hand as opposed to leading hand. I figured I'd narrow the field, and if not eliminate it, I'd pick up their bets. In hindsight, that check-raise is pretty small. They call. I hate playing two pair hands. Blah. Anyways, I think I mighta coulda bet stronger into the turn. Or maybe check? I don't really know, but I was sure somebody was drawing. They call. Aaaaand the draw gets there. I go into check-fold mode and sure enough someone goes nuts.
-----

All comments appreciated. Results later. Thanks.

swolfe
04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
3rd hand: with a better and a caller you need to CR for more. $17 would be a pot raise, but with the flush and broadway draw out there, i'd make it $20.

-Skeme-
04-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah, edited earlier and acknowledged that. Surely you can find other problems.

swolfe
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
ah, i missed your edit then...

hand 1: can't really say much about it. it looks reasonable although i'd hate to push a single pair into a flop caller with no read.

hand 2: good raise pre-flop. the overbet is fine to foster a maniacal image

hand 3: i'd have probably lead the flop and played cautiously from the turn on. both straight and flush draws are there by the river...good fold.

shrug, take that for what it's worth...i haven't played much 6-max...

-Skeme-
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Gracias.

buddha
04-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Would you raise any other hands to $10 in hand one (AKs for example)? Do you want them to think you have big pair or are you disguising as a steal? Wierd thing about SSNL is it seems the harder you bet the more people think its a bluff. I am not sure this is so true at higher stakes.

On hand one I think I might checkriase or check call if the guy right next to me bet and the other guy folded. My reasoning is...the board is drawless so I want to look weak, any one who flopped a set has you screwed but some idiot with AT, or worse, might think he is golden (trying to gain more when ahead lose less when behind). Basically betting into a multiple opponents and getting called twice is scary.

On the turn *if* I was commited to showdown I would check to let the opponents bluff as they may think I bet out a missed AK...as the hand played I have no idea what the callers have.

Feel free to correct any faulty thinking here as I suck.

-Skeme-
04-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Yes. I would raise a few other hands in that position. I don't like the check-call at all. If one of them had a Deuce I'd be totally screwed as I would be thinking I'm trapping them. It's too weak and passive for my taste.

I should also point out that on hand two I didn't overbet the pot. Villain called half of his stack preflop. The flop had $52 in the pot and I put him all in. He only had $20 or so left.

More replies please.

pzhon
04-26-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should also point out that on hand two I didn't overbet the pot. Villain called half of his stack preflop. The flop had $52 in the pot and I put him all in. He only had $20 or so left.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find I get more calls if I bet almost exactly what my opponent has left. I get more folds if I make a larger but equivalent bet.

-Skeme-
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks.

Rastapopoulos
04-27-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find I get more calls if I bet almost exactly what my opponent has left. I get more folds if I make a larger but equivalent bet.

[/ QUOTE ] I concur as well, but in this particular hand, I would probably push all my $300 or so like -Skeme- did, just to increase the feel of bullying against the small stack.

However, I'm not sure I would actually make this play against tiny weeny villain to get his last $20. Since villain did not rebuy as soon as he dropped below 80 or so BB, I assume villain don't play as serious as our Hero. Perhaps villain is just out to have some fun for a while or so. Or perhaps villain just wants to play longer.
Out of my own experience, these kind of players tend to be weak against strong aggression, since they are short-stacked, they would like to be the one "pushing it", like if it would mean something more than what it actually is: a small bet in a big pot. Not sure if you get me on this one, but I would tend to play this one betting ~$10 or so. If villain wants to push, heck he can push. If he just wants to call, let him call. even if an A (or a q assuming he got a queen) falls, then yes, you're screwed. You still call the $10 bucks he pushes in, and the only difference is that you are more likely to get all villain's money when you hold up.

I would not do this under many circumstances, but since you wan't the villain to call, you still will see the remaining two cards, so a suckout is still possible. Although it hurts to make a rather "bad" turn call, the cards wouldn't change. If you want villain to fold, (or alternatively, if villain had a deeper stack), then of course this does not hold.

Any thoughts on this? It just felt like you scared the poor thing out of this one.

On a side-note:

1. Are the 6-max tables on Stars calling these kind of pre-flop raises often at .5/1?? DAMN! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Nice flow, picking up KK twice on two orbits for your first shot at 6-max! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TheWorstPlayer
04-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 is fine, although you could try the installment plan since he is drawing very slim if he is behind and he doesn't have much left. You could bet half on flop, half on turn. But your bet is fine, too.

Hand 3: Lead out on the flop, I rarely like a check/raise on the flop. It just bloats the pot when you are behind and tips your hand when you are ahead. And you need to bet way more on the turn. At least the pot.

-Skeme-
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on this? It just felt like you scared the poor thing out of this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I scared anything. Either he's playing or he's not. He called half of his stack preflop, which is horrible, and then folded for the other half. I'm not betting $10 into a $52 pot when he has only $10 more. He doesn't need 6:1 odds on ANYTHING. It's going all in for me. I will agree that maybe the less scary bet of just $30 or so for putting him in might get a caller more often than jamming, but if he's calling half his stack preflop and will call the $10 when he has $20 left.. he should be calling the whole $20. I really didn't expect him to fold. Also, given the current action I was giving, I came off as a maniac. Betting all in is a very aggressive move and I wanted him to try and pick off my maniacal bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3: Lead out on the flop, I rarely like a check/raise on the flop. It just bloats the pot when you are behind and tips your hand when you are ahead. And you need to bet way more on the turn. At least the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

As we both can see, this flop is very dangerous and my hand is vulnerable. This is why I prefer a check-raise to leading out. This table is very loose and fishy and I do want to make it clear my hand is strong. I don't care about tipping it off to this table as it isn't THAT strong. Not strong enough to where I need to semi disguise it. The reason I prefer check-raising to leading out is that I find it more likely narrow the field and define my hand. There is a much broader range of hands that will call my initial straight out bet than will stay in for my check-raise. I will have no clue where I stand when they both call. I agree about the turn, though.