PDA

View Full Version : Maximising Quads

Chris_P
04-25-2005, 02:16 PM
When i flop monsters i never seem to get the most and never really take down monster pots with them, i understand these are but .1% of my overall earnings but some advice on how to maximise them would be useful....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="red"> Hero..... </font>

Plan?

27offsooot
04-25-2005, 02:17 PM
fold

Chris_P
04-25-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fold

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree....you just never know when someone will hit runner runner str8 flush on you.

Nick C
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Mostly, you just have to hope BB has a good hand, such as AA or (better yet) 55.

Anyway, though, raising the flop represents less strength than waiting until the turn. Also, if BB just has 77 or something, a lot of cards could come on the turn that will scare him. If he just has AT, well, he might catch on the turn, but it's quite possible he won't fold that to the flop raise anyway.

It looks like you raised the flop (I see that the action is in red), and I think that's fine.

philnewall
04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
wait till turn to raise, get those big bets in, also string him along for a bit longer in case he's just gonna fold to your raise. Waiting for the river is bad imo, cos in the case where he's willing to play, you restrict yourself to 5 1/2 BBs postflop max.

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
raises. if three-bet, smooth call and raise the turn. otherwise, keep raising if bet into, betting if checked to. i'd probably go ahead and cap the turn if 3-bet there, but a smooth call, raise the river isn't terrible... the only issue is villain may learn from his mistake on the turn and check the river to you.

the point here, really, is to play fast, only slow down if it will immediately increase your chance of getting more money in on a later street. don't get fancy, just play fast

chief444
04-25-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raises. if three-bet, smooth call and raise the turn. otherwise, keep raising if bet into, betting if checked to. i'd probably go ahead and cap the turn if 3-bet there

[/ QUOTE ]

GrunchCan
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some advice on how to maximise them would be useful....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

But raise and hope you get played back at.

jason_t
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
You're in position here, which is fantastic as you can make sure at least one bet goes in on every street and get two bets in on the streets that he bets in to you.

Raise the flop and prey that he plays back. Calling the flop and raising the turn screams "I flopped a monster." If he 3-bets the flop, call and pop the turn again betting whenever he checks to you.

meep_42
04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raises. if three-bet, smooth call and raise the turn. otherwise, keep raising if bet into, betting if checked to. i'd probably go ahead and cap the turn if 3-bet there, but a smooth call, raise the river isn't terrible... the only issue is villain may learn from his mistake on the turn and check the river to you.

the point here, really, is to play fast, only slow down if it will immediately increase your chance of getting more money in on a later street. don't get fancy, just play fast

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother smooth calling a 3-bet on the turn? Capping and betting the river gets the same, and villain just might lead the river for you again, netting 1 extra BB. I think it's very unlikely that villain will fold before showdown if he 3-bets the turn.

-d

QTip
04-25-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why bother smooth calling a 3-bet on the turn? Capping and betting the river gets the same, and villain just might lead the river for you again, netting 1 extra BB. I think it's very unlikely that villain will fold before showdown if he 3-bets the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hand this weekend where I hit Quad Queens to my pocket Queens and got fancy on the turn like that. I smooth called a raise with 2 opponents in order to get bet into on the river. The river did get capped 3 ways; however, I got to thinking "How do I know that woudn't have happened on the turn as well?" I got to thinking about it later that night...it was pretty stupid. Get their bets now. Like you said, you're not making any more bets...chances may be, you're getting less. They may be looking to go to war as well.

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I recommended just capping on the turn. I merely suggested that smooth calling and raising again is an option. I think the benefits of just capping far outweigh any merits for waiting.

QTip
04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Well Derek....where were you yesterday when I hit quads on the turn?! GOSH!

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
being semi-responsible /images/graemlins/smile.gif today? not at all, baby!

27offsooot
04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell do u know everybody's first name?

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm a people person my man (I call you that because I don't know your name and it's better than buckaroo) and had fun in this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1932039&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=) ..in which you did not participate...you wanker! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

...and oh yeah...Derek's is in his profile.

meep_42
04-25-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I wanna know! I can't get anyone but Owen to even reply to my posts. :P

-d

jason_t
04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I wanna know! I can't get anyone but Owen to even reply to my posts. :P

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Owen?

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
LOL! I'm always here for you! (although you'd probably want a better poster on your side /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

I've always assumed your name was Nick. But why is your signature "-d"?

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Owen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this!! You don't know who Big Daddy Q is!

DANG! YOU NIT!!

meep_42
04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Because i'm not Nick, i'm Dan. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(old habit with the: )

-d

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Glad I finally have that straight. I was thinking it was either Nick or Dave (the most common D name). This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1932052&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) was what confused me. Is that the name of the puppet then or something?

27offsooot
04-25-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a people person my man (I call you that because I don't know your name and it's better than buckaroo) and had fun in this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1932039&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=) ..in which you did not participate...you wanker! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

...and oh yeah...Derek's is in his profile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't participate in that thread b/c i think my name is gay. Not there's anything wrong with being gay and all. I have a knack for the cheesiest aol sn and party handles, and this is no different. So if you see a party handle with decent stats and the cheesiest possible name, it's probably me. My real first name is Lance though.

3 posts in this thread and none about the actual hand. I win.

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:51 PM
yeah....we hijacked this guy's thread. Which, apparently he won't care about since he's off masturbating somewhere....I didn't say it....he did.

Anyway, Lance is an awesome name. I'll keep my eye out for a TAG with a cheesy name and then 3 bet PF with 22! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jason_t
04-25-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who is Owen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe this!! You don't know who Big Daddy Q is!

DANG! YOU NIT!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'M NOT A NIT, I'm Jason. Are you Owen/Big Daddy Q? Did I miss a thread?

meep_42
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad I finally have that straight. I was thinking it was either Nick or Dave (the most common D name). This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1932052&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) was what confused me. Is that the name of the puppet then or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'Nick' in that post was just me shortening nickname. :P

That's Beaker, from the muppets... all he says is, "meep."

-d

QTip
04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
I love to call myself big daddy...so, here I'm Big Daddy Q, and Josh respects that (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2237909&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) .

When I play, I like to say, "What did you have, a set of sevens? Don't like to big daddy now." That, and I'm probably one of the few posters here who actually has some kids. My first name is Owen.

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
i'm gonna work to forget "owen" and remember "big daddy q" fer sure

QTip
04-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Awesome!! You could just do BDQ for short like CDC. And then a newbie could be like "What's BDQ?". And then we could be like....wtf! Where are you from that you don't know BIG DADDY Q!!! YEAH BABY!! I LOVE IT!

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
you're gonna hafta raise your quotient of laggy play, or QUOLP.

QTip
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Does this one get me started?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (21.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 2h 2d (full house, twos full of sixes).
MP2 has 7s 6s (full house, sixes full of sevens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 23.75 BB. </font>

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
looks like you made a new friend!

bweiser8311962
04-25-2005, 06:53 PM
I flopped quad 3s today.

I checked the flop in early position, got a bettor and a raiser. I smooth-called. There were two spades on the board.

I checked the turn. Got bet into. Smooth called.

I checked the river. It was a spade, giving a guy the flush. He bet, I raised, he reraised, I capped.

I think I got as much money out of it as possible.

I've adjusted my game to slowplaying the flop, because the bets are only half the size of the turn and river.

ErrantNight
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped quad 3s today.

I checked the flop in early position, got a bettor and a raiser. I smooth-called. There were two spades on the board.

I checked the river. It was a spade, giving a guy the flush. He bet, I raised, he reraised, I capped.

I've adjusted my game to slowplaying the flop, because the bets are only half the size of the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow this is some bad, bad, bad [censored].

and by "bad" i mean "[censored] terrible"

jason_t
04-25-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped quad 3s today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrible, results oriented thinking leading to the wrong conclusion. You missed bets on the flop. Since he was on a flush draw, you missed more bets on the turn. He was putting no more money in the pot if his draw didn't hit.

shant
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped quad 3s today.

I checked the river. It was a diamond, it got checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

ThisThreads2Long
04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Whenever a thread reaches beyond its worth, I'll be there to remind you:

THIS THREAD IS TOO LONG!!!

jason_t
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I flopped quad 3s today.

I checked the river. It was a diamond, it got checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very effective.