PDA

View Full Version : I'm so behind the IM curve...

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I just found out there are such things as Trillian, gaim and DeadAIM. Which do you use? Why?

tbach24
04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
I have no clue about what DeadAIM is. Trillian combo's them all (I think, that's what others have said at least) and I'm pretty sure Gaim could do the same. Go for Gaim or Trillian.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
I just found out there are such things as Trillian, gaim and DeadAIM. Which do you use? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

trillian. connect to multiple mediums, multiple screenames, and view your contact history. useful for work when people tell you to do [censored] and you close the window, or forget.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
Go for Gaim or Trillian.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really the decision I'm hoping this poll will help me make.

Edge34
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
DeadAIM allows you to "clone" AIM and be signed on with multiple SNs at once. Used to be free, but now the bastards charge for the program...

Tron
04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
I have a Mac so I use a program called Adium... From what I'm hearing, it seems to be the same thing as Trillian. I can access AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN, and a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time, but I pretty much only use it because it logs conversations and it has tabbed windows.

Long story short, I chose "Other"

GuyOnTilt
04-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I use DeadAIM 'cause I don't talk to people thru MSN really anymore so I don't care about the multiple account thingie. Gaim is better than Trillian, but I switched to DeadAIM a while back because of the tabbed IM'ing thing before they others had that. Also, I'm not sure if direct connect and file transferring works on the others when the other party isn't using Gaim/Trillian. If not, that would suck.

Things I like about DeadAIM:

Tabbed IM'ing
Message Logs
Sign on notifications (a la MSN)
Ability to talk while away
Ability to clone

I haven't used the others in a long time, but I would assume they both have all but the last two of those.

Also, why would anyone want to use another application for MSN messenger? Their current beta kicks ass. Oh, and is AOL still constantly trying to block Trillian users?

GoT

asofel
04-25-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use DeadAIM 'cause I don't talk to people thru MSN really anymore so I don't care about the multiple account thingie. Gaim is better than Trillian, but I switched to DeadAIM a while back because of the tabbed IM'ing thing before they others had that. Also, I'm not sure if direct connect and file transferring works on the others when the other party isn't using Gaim/Trillian. If not, that would suck.

Things I like about DeadAIM:

Tabbed IM'ing
Message Logs
Sign on notifications (a la MSN)
Ability to talk while away
Ability to clone

I haven't used the others in a long time, but I would assume they both have all but the last two of those.

Also, why would anyone want to use another application for MSN messenger? Their current beta kicks ass. Oh, and is AOL still constantly trying to block Trillian users?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they're trying to block us...if they are, they're not being very successful...
Talking while away and cloning are both possible with trillian...

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 12:48 PM
One problem I have with Y!M is that i'm just as big a jerk there as I am here so people are always using boot codes on me. Do gail or Trillian help block those? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Take this for what you will:

I liked trillian so much I paid for their pro version.

$25.00.

Well worth it. I've also used gaim, and to me, it's lame.

B00T
04-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I use DeadAIM as well. When I first got it, it did stuff the others cant. Now it seems they can all do whatever DeadAIM does. Just never had a reason to switch.

YourFoxyGrandma
04-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I use gaim cause it's free and it lets you chat while you have an away message up. I also don't really know anyone that uses MSN or Yahoo.

Jack of Arcades
04-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Gaim does everything DeadAIM does, except direct connection which is only a slight pain since I can quickly sign onto DeadAIM or Trillian when I need to d/c (which isn't often).

It also allows connection to Y!/MSN, etc, but I don't really use those.

I prefer the Gaim interface to everything else.

manpower
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
I used to use Deadaim, but then they started charging. I downloaded gaim this morning on advice in the other thread. I really like it so far.

Jack of Arcades
04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
For me, the opposite is true. I have the pro version of Trillian 3.1 cracked and and it just seems... I don't know.

I think it's because I'm so used to using and AIM-like interface and Trillian's interface seems pretty foreign to me.

Maybe I just really like the fact that all the major programs I use are open-source.

EDIT for jake.

Basically, Trillian is a more souped-up gaim. It's slicker-looking and has a few more features. Performance differences are more or less minimal. The only big downside of gaim is the lack of direct connect.

If you prefer something slicker, go with trillian. I'm sure you can find a crack somewhere or you can throw a few BB cerulean's way. If you like something a bit more plain, small, and stable, go with gaim. It's got the firefox-like system of plugins so you can choose what you want and what you don't.

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gaim does everything DeadAIM does, except direct connection

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by direct connection?

Jack of Arcades
04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
"direct connect" is an AIM feature in which you connect to the person and it removes the limits on message transfer (which is usually one meg). Basically, it lets you send pictures.

Trillian supports this, but Gaim is still working it out.

TimM
04-25-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take this for what you will:

I liked trillian so much I paid for their pro version.

$25.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I also like that I have every chat logged for the last few years. Lose that phone number someone IMed you 8 months ago? Easy to find. (also good for blackmail /images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Shajen
04-25-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also like that I have every chat logged for the last few years. Lose that phone number someone IMed you 8 months ago? Easy to find. (also good for blackmail /images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

[/ QUOTE ]

You too? Thought I was the only one. (Well, minus the blackmail. I'm too much of a wuss to do that) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif