PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 players casual or pro?

krishanleong
04-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Just wondering what % of the players whose main game is the 10/20 shorthand on party are professional. Professional is defined as living mostly on poker income, not haveing a 40 hr job in addition to poker and not being a student. The reason I'm excluding students is students tend to have less expenses than non-students.

I'm a high school teacher and I think I really love my job. But there is probably a point at which I'd give it up for money. (to return to later on) I don't know if this poll will help me or not. Thanks,

Krishan

krishanleong
04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
One bump. I was going to post a joke but all the ones I found suck. So instead of a joke you got to read this. <font color="white"> I'm sorry </font>

Krishan

Silverback
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Do you think there are many players who are pros at $10/$20?

More than a handful?

___1___
04-25-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you can count the number of 10/20 pros on two hands. Some might be pros for a week or two, but then they go broke and get real jobs...

___1___

krishanleong
04-25-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

More than a handful?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there might be 30+. The number of games at that level would support quite a few. I thought I'd get 10 or so responses.

Krishan

Silverback
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Most people good at Poker are fairly intelligent so are good at other things including there job,

Plus the Poker would becoming boring if you had to do it to make money so for those 2 reasons Id would estimate very few pros, even if more could make good money from it full time.

Its a great way of adding a bit of income on the side though.

krishanleong
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people good at Poker are fairly intelligent so are good at other things including there job,

Plus the Poker would becoming boring if you had to do it to make money so for those 2 reasons Id would estimate very few pros, even if more could make good money from it full time.

Its a great way of adding a bit of income on the side though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. But I think at a certain point, the ability to make money outweighs the enojyment of a job you like. At least for me there has to be a $ per hour turning point. I think a good 10/20 player meets that point for me. I'm kinda curious whether anyone else had these thoughts.

For example I made 65K as a consultant before becoming a teacher. If I had been making 200K I don't think I ever could have left. Now that I am teaching, it would take a lot to get me to leave. But poker has the potential of offering a lot.

Krishan

NLSoldier
04-25-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

More than a handful?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there might be 30+. The number of games at that level would support quite a few. I thought I'd get 10 or so responses.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a very good chunk that are "pros" at that level are also students and therefore dont meet your definition. Thats the case for me anyways.

krishanleong
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

More than a handful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a very good chunk that are "pros" at that level are also students and therefore dont meet your definition. Thats the case for me anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. There are lots of turning pro threads from people that are students. Relatively fewer from people in established careers. I'm just trying to get a feel since the money at 10/20 seems to outperform most jobs. I appreciate those of you that responded.

Krishan

arkady
04-25-2005, 03:30 PM
I aint a pro, but I am in between jobs. In terms of money...lol, even 5/10 SH outperforms most jobs.

Nikla
04-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I would be in the student-pro category when I played those games. I know 4-5 players who play close to fulltime (no work or school) at that level.

J.R.
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, even 5/10 SH crushes most jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know how few people make at least $30/hour including benefits...not to say those people and the class than can beat 5-10 6-max overlap, but you can make hella loot at 2-4 and 3-6 that outperforms most jobs

qsdaddy
04-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I play party $10-20 as a pro. I play 2 or 3 handed only. I see many of the same players all the time. I've chatted with many who claim to be pros. I've been playing as a pro for 35 weeks and have avg. $3250 per week. That includes rakeback and bonuses. I avg. 28 hours per week.

Elecman
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm getting towards the student/pro. I've made about 16k on the party network, but the majority of that has been in the last 2-3 months. My sample size isn't big enough to tell for sure, but i estimate i beat 10/20 SH for ~1.5BB/100. $28/Table-hour is pretty hard to beat for a student. I could possibly see myself playing full time after i graduate - gotta got the degree to make the 'rents happy first. Congratulations for reading my contentless first post.

arkady
04-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Median salary in this country I believe is 40,000/year or $20/hour. So i suppose you are right /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TStoneMBD
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
dude its easy to make 100k-200k/yr playing poker online. rb alone will net you like $50/hr if you play enough tables.

mperich
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I think people in this thread are underestimating the number of pros in the party 10/20. I would put the number at 15+ for sure, but there could be many more, since I play a fairly regular set of hours each week which gives me less exposure different players.

-Mike

Danenania
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I am currently a 10/20 6-max pro and will continue at least through next year (though I may move to 15/30 at some point). I have completed ~2 years of college and though I do plan to go back and finish up I'm in no hurry. I am very happy with the amount of freedom I have right now and the money is obviously great too. Also I never planned to have some hotshot job so things like resumes and contacts aren't an issue (my major in college was philosophy). My desire has always been to find an unoppressive way to make enough money to support living expenses and travel, then focus the rest of my time on "higher" pursuits, friends, and family. Poker fits the bill pretty well and offers an opportunity to save enough for the future that I would never need a job, though that doesn't mean I might not try to find an interesting one somewhere down the line.

qsdaddy
04-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I think the number of pros playing 10-20 at party is in the hundreds. A side note, my post above I should have included that I don't multi table.

sublime
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
im a pro. who plays some 10/20, mostly 30/60 and even some 5/10. do i qualify?

sublime
04-25-2005, 10:02 PM
but I am in between jobs

wow, in between is a long time. bum.

arkady
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
lol, low blow mike.

goodguy_1
04-28-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude its easy to make 100k-200k/yr playing poker online. rb alone will net you like $50/hr if you play enough tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
easy no I dont think so for the general poker playing populace.For the exceptional or especially driven yes.I think the number of players who play 8+tables daily to play poker for a living is a good amount but nowhere near as prevalent as this forum makes it out to be.TStone you obvioulsy are on the fasttrack -you got some natural skills obviously.It's fairly easy to 8-table but to do it for hours on end,5 days a week and not burn out is not as easy as everyone says it is.Many of the current crop of 8-tablers are not great players-many of them will burnout or bustout.

kiddo
04-28-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For how many years have u done this?

chezlaw
04-28-2005, 05:25 AM
Except for the 40hr a week job bit I'm a pro by your definition.

My last day at work is tomorrow so count me in.

chez

stigmata
04-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Good luck!

Gazza
04-28-2005, 06:27 AM
I suppose I count as a pro about half the time. I have been a professional chess player since I was 18 (a long time ago) and also wrote a lot of chess books so that I could stay at home with my family sometimes.
I am currently replacing the writing bit of my work, which I was pretty sick of, with playing poker. It is a hell of a lot easier and a hell of a lot more profitable. However, I think I would go crazy if I had to spend the whole time playing poker, much as I love the game (sort of!)

chezlaw
04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!