PDA

View Full Version : Should all blasphemy laws be repealed?

mackthefork
04-25-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure of how things are in the US but over here in the UK we have centuries old blasphemy laws, these have not been used much recently, however the government has intimated their intention to begin using these laws again as part of the new discrimination laws. Does anyone agree there is no place in a modern 21st century society for such silliness.

Freedom of expression should be an automatic right. This is not the same as hatred, peoples rights to not believe and say so are just as important as religious folks right to worship.

The right to offend is much more important than the right to not be offended, discuss.

Regards Mack

MMMMMM
04-25-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...however the government has intimated their intention to begin using these laws again as part of the new discrimination laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds ridiculous to me. Of course it should not be law. Have you any more information on just how they intend to do the above, and specifically what the laws forbid?

mackthefork
04-25-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds ridiculous to me. Of course it should not be law. Have you any more information on just how they intend to do the above, and specifically what the laws forbid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well basically the current laws which are not really enforced but could be used, prevent the criticism or mocking of Christianity. The maximum sentence is life imprisonment, though it is unlikely to be used.

The ammendments proposed, are to update the law to prevent criticism of any religions, Buddism, Islam, Judaism, etc. The Commission for Racial Equality are saying these new laws would prevent hate crimes, but I don't see how, hate crimes are already illegal under existing laws.

Scary stuff.

Mack

Gin 'n Tonic
04-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Do you have a source for this? Whilst I would be outraged if this were the case, I can’t find any evidence that this is the Party’s intention.

During Blunkett’s tenure as Home Sec. there was an intention expressed that the existing blasphemy laws be repealed, and replaced with a new legislation to outlaw the incitment of religious hatred. As far as I am aware, this was dropped (along with DB).

The existing UK law on blasphemy apparently only protects certain Christian sects – specifically Church of England Christians, I can’t conceive that a successful prosecution would be possible, or even sought, under such obviously flawed and outdated legislation.