PDA

View Full Version : Baby ace push

DMACM
04-25-2005, 04:10 AM
I wasnt sure about this hand. Also I was curious if all things being equal it was better to push with a4 a3 a2 or Kj Kq kt?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t580)
Button (t2285)
SB (t1950)
BB (t930)
UTG (t2255)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Final Pot: t150

elonkra
04-25-2005, 04:16 AM
It doesn't matter unless you've made a pact with the dealer under which he's promised to give you KJ/KQ/K10 the very next hand. I don't know whether the big connectors/one-gappers are better than a baby ace (I think the babyace is probably better, intuitively), but you're sitting here two hands away from having zero folding equity with a pushable hand and you have at least eliminated one potential caller, which won't be the case in any of the upcoming hands, during which you might have a MUCH more horrible hand. This is no time to be picky.

DMACM
04-25-2005, 04:19 AM
alright thanks, I wasnt expecting Kj next hand or anything I guess that was more of a seperate theoreraretical question.

elonkra
04-25-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
alright thanks, I wasnt expecting Kj next hand or anything I guess that was more of a seperate theoreraretical question.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a question I sadly don't know the answer to. Might do a search on hand rankings?

vinyard
04-25-2005, 05:02 AM
I think its a pretty clear push as unappealing as that is.

I'll crunch some numbers for you. Putting the remaining threeplayers on pretty loose calling sstandards (44+, A7s, A9o+, KJs+) its still a +EV play to push. On a tighter range, even more so.

Re: Your second question: I immediately assumed that the Ace was a better push. I was suprised to find I was wrong and its owing to the four's chances of being taken out by overcards on the board. It turns out that in this situation with the range of calling hands I used in the first paragraph A4o is exactly equal to K9o. Strange

syphlix
04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think its a pretty clear push as unappealing as that is.

I'll crunch some numbers for you. Putting the remaining threeplayers on pretty loose calling sstandards (44+, A7s, A9o+, KJs+) its still a +EV play to push. On a tighter range, even more so.

Re: Your second question: I immediately assumed that the Ace was a better push. I was suprised to find I was wrong and its owing to the four's chances of being taken out by overcards on the board. It turns out that in this situation with the range of calling hands I used in the first paragraph A4o is exactly equal to K9o. Strange

[/ QUOTE ]

hands like that are typically coinflips... the one where 2 cards are in btwn the other 2 cards...