PDA

View Full Version : Playing Flushes SH

wackjob
04-25-2005, 02:29 AM
Excuse the ignorance if this is talked about elsewhere, or if this should be in general poker theory.

When you hit a four-flush on the flop, with no other outs, and no pairs, how many players do you want calling for you to draw to your flush? This assumes:

Scenario A - You are drawing to the nut flush
Scenario B - You are not drawing to the nut flush
1 - You didn't raise preflop
2 - Your flush draw does not also make 2 overcards
3 - You assume that you are behind at this point to top pair or better
4 - The board is not paired on the flop

With a flush draw being basically 2 draws of 4.2:1, you should really have 3 callers? Or should you be able to draw to the flush with 2 callers assuming both might* call to the river.

I understand that position plays a lot in playing a drawing hand. However in SH play position is not always ideal for drawing hands in many cases, but that does not mean that you don't often find yourself in such cases.

zephed56
04-26-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excuse the ignorance if this is talked about elsewhere, or if this should be in general poker theory.

When you hit a four-flush on the flop, with no other outs, and no pairs, how many players do you want calling for you to draw to your flush? This assumes:

Scenario A - You are drawing to the nut flush
Scenario B - You are not drawing to the nut flush
1 - You didn't raise preflop
2 - Your flush draw does not also make 2 overcards
3 - You assume that you are behind at this point to top pair or better
4 - The board is not paired on the flop

With a flush draw being basically 2 draws of 4.2:1, you should really have 3 callers? Or should you be able to draw to the flush with 2 callers assuming both might* call to the river.

I understand that position plays a lot in playing a drawing hand. However in SH play position is not always ideal for drawing hands in many cases, but that does not mean that you don't often find yourself in such cases.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand your questions. My answer is that you want as many opponents as possible, because your chance of winning will not change much with more opponents. With more opponents, your EV goes waaayyy up. You can pump your flush draw on an unpaired FLOP with as little as 2 opponents, although that is really close, and you should have other reasons for pumping your draw in a SH game.

Anyways, as long as it is profitable for you to call, you should be calling. If it's not profitable to call, don't call. It's that simple.

stigmata
04-26-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's not profitable to call, don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although you might want to bet sometimes, as a semi-bluff when you think your opponent has a good chance of folding.

However, this is a simple outs Vs implied odds question, you might want to re-read relevant sections of SSH and then think about it. Then read HEPFAP (for semi-bluffing etc).