PDA

View Full Version : 77-99 in loose passive games

PokerDork
04-25-2005, 01:57 AM
One thing that has always troubled me is when to limp and when to raise with the middle pocket pairs 77-99, specifically. Lower pairs seem easier to play as your primary goal is to either flop a set or steal the blinds- although not so common in loose low limit games. Anyway, in what position do 77-99 go from open-limp to open-raise? Typically for me the line is usually MP1 for 88 and 99 and MP2 for 77, although not always, and I try to make the play based on the game conditions. Am I open-raising these too early? Also I typically raise one or two weak limpers with these hands if I'm in the Hijack, CO, or button, and the blinds are reasonably tight. Does this seem right. I don't have PT (because I have a mac) so I don't have any real statistical analysis, but is this about where it should be?

mannika
04-25-2005, 03:39 AM
I'm pretty well raising 99 from any position, with any number of limpers ahead of me. You flop a set 12% of the time and all undercards another 17% of the time, giving you enough of a preflop equity advantage to make it two bets IMO.

I'm raising 88 about half of the time, usually depending on table dynamics and number of limpers ahead of me (I'm more likely to raise with many or no limpers).

I'm usually limping with 77 unless I'm first in with them in LP.

Keep in mind that this is just what I'm currently doing, I don't know if this is standard or not (I'm actually showing losses for 99-77 in my last ~9k hands)

ThePenguin
04-25-2005, 05:18 AM
I tend to raise them all if I'm first in, but I might be hesitant if I could expect four or five callers when I'm UTG with 77. About the only time I limp with 77 or 88 is in MP with lots of other limpers. 99 is an auto-raise. Also, I like three-betting with 99 in LP if it will cut the field to one or two opponents. Hope this helps