PDA

View Full Version : No reads or are you lazy? (low content)

brettbrettr
04-25-2005, 12:45 AM
The ratio of read to no read posts on this forum gives one the impression that few of us last more than an orbit, ever, AND none of us datamine.

Have a read. Use it at the table. Include it in your posts.

Buccaneer
04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The ratio of read to no read posts on this forum gives one the impression that few of us last more than an orbit, ever, AND none of us datamine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that having reads on a posted hand is a great idea but I can see times where it might not be practical or possible. What if someone is doing the multi table thing? I have hard enough time with singles I never would invision even two tables. But can you get accurate reads doing the multi tables.

My trouble with reads is that I am not that accurate. I would not want to post a hand with bad reads. This would be as bad as posting erronous cards or suits.

Justin A
04-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Some of us don't believe in datamining.

The online game is such that it's very common to have two or three players at your table who've sat down within the last couple orbits, so any stats you have on them are meaningless.

Pokey
04-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Buy it. (http://www.pokertracker.com) You'll never regret the decision.

DMBFan23
04-25-2005, 01:11 AM
I like both, no reads posts are good places to learn nice default lines, which IMO is an important thing when so many players turn over from table to table, even if we stay at the same table for a while.

I think we can all work on developing reads on the players that have been at the table though.

MoreWineII
04-29-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of us don't believe in datamining.

The online game is such that it's very common to have two or three players at your table who've sat down within the last couple orbits, so any stats you have on them are meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never datamine, but I don't care if others do. I do, however, wish people would put more time and effort into taking actual notes and making observations on players rather than seeing them as a number. Too often, I think those numbers can be misleading, especially when they're based on 30 hands or whatever.

flair1239
04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
The thing is that many of the interesting hands are interesting because of the lack of reads. Many times a read would make it a no-brainer.

It is a fact of life in on-line poker with multi-tabling and high table turnover, that many times you will be faced with a decision at the table where you have little to no information on your opponent.

That said I think people tend to disregard valuable information due to sample size. For instance if I have 20 hands on a player and he has played 40% of them. Even though this information is not even close to rock solid, I am going to lean towards assuming he is a little loose. If I had seen him show down a Axo hand from EP, I am also going to lean towards thinking he does not understand position and has poor hand selection.

Now I am not going to get married to this opinion, as obviously at this point I cannot have a very high amount of confidence in the validity of this info. But for the purpose of that decision I must make at that time, I am going to take it into account as it is better than nothing.

Sometimes I will be horribly wrong, and then I will alter my opinion accordingly.

brettbrettr
04-29-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that many of the interesting hands are interesting because of the lack of reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine if the player is new to the table or have never played with/have no numbers on the opponent. I suspect this isn't always the case though.

[ QUOTE ]
Many times a read would make it a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take no brainer every day of the week.

flair1239
04-29-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many times a read would make it a no-brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take no brainer every day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would too, but then there would be no reason to post the hand

thejameser
04-29-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY much agree. reads can be what define the greatness of many plays. making an otherwise insane-looking call or raise because you "know" your opponent is crucial in trying to relay your philosophy behind why a hand was played the way it was. good post. true post.