PDA

View Full Version : Hootie Digs A Deeper Hole

Bill Murphy
11-11-2002, 10:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1459296

Someone needs to explain to this clown the facts of 21st century PR. Sure he's 'right' but so what? He's harmed the Masters terribly with his bungling.

I wish one of my friends could elevate MY status the way Hootie has elevated that of HIS enemies. Martha Burk knows absolutely nothing about golf, yet she is now asked for comments every day and is prolly more well known than any golf figure now than Tiger; certainly more known than any LPGA'er, other than mebbe Nancy Lopez.

Hootie's like Clinton: The more he opens his mouth the worse his 'numbers' get.

HDPM
11-11-2002, 11:03 PM
This interview could force some people's hands. Some members will quit or be booted. Things are going to get uglier.

B-Man
11-12-2002, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately, you are probably right, which makes me sick. I was on a date tonite and the girl happened to mention that she belonged to a female-only gym. Can you imagine the uproar if there was a male-only gym? Surely there would be an uproar and probably a lawsuit, but if it is women only it is ok.

I guess discrimination is only allowed if it is against whites or males (and especially if it is against white males).

Clarkmeister
11-12-2002, 01:04 AM
I thought that was a great interview. He is right. Why should he apologize or compromise?

I also agree with him that he isn't hurting the Masters. What has been hurt? It will get the same monster ratings it always does. It will remain arguably the toughest ticket in ALL of professional sports. The Masters itself will continue on unharmed. The same cannot be said for individual members who are being unfairly attacked and critisized. But that, too, will pass.

Nepa
11-12-2002, 01:05 AM
Give 'em hell Hootie. It is a private club and they should be able to make there own rules. They do let women play on the course they are just not allow in the clubhouse. What is the big deal?

ripdog
11-12-2002, 03:55 AM
She was interviewed by one of our local radio talk shows recently. I wasn't impressed with her demeanor. It seemed like she just wanted to make some trouble for the folks at Augusta. I don't see how letting women join that particular club would do any real harm, though. Would it disrupt the "good ole boys" network? Sounds to me like maybe Hootie needs a good hard kick in the beanbags. If his attitude is the prevailing one at that club, then I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

scalf
11-12-2002, 05:27 AM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif funny thing about hootie...as a banker, he was known as being very profressive regarding racial issues...particularly the tough times of desegregation several decades ago...and oddly enough an advocate for women in business...

but hootie is right here...masters does not have to have women play in the tourney...it would be inappropriate...if the membership thought augusta national golf club would benefit from women members, they would vote em in....

the whole issue is individual freedom...hootie is standing tall in the saddle...he is right...gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

adios
11-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Admittedly I'm not up to date on this controversy. FWIW it does seem like the protesting group(s) will try to put pressure on the sponsors of the Masters, especially televsion sponsors, to pull their adverstising. If CBS doesn't make money the tournament won't be broadcast and CBS will take the "politically correct" course of action. Not sure why the "womens" group(s) are so opposed to an all male membership at Augusta. Is their an equality of pay issue involved here or something like that? Honestly I really don't know.

HDPM
11-12-2002, 11:40 AM
The Masters already fired the sponsors for at least this year. No advertising money at all. They did this to prevent coercion, but it won't work as well as they think it will. CBS will be compensated by Augusta.
The pressure came because one group didn't like Augusta's policy. Hottie blew it in his response and has ended Augusta as he knew it. What is happening now is that some members are coming under fire. They are CEOs or sit on boards of public companies and entities with non-discrimination policies. (The first African-American Augusta member is on the USOC. They have said they won't force him to quit Augusta even though the USOC doesn't abide by gender discrimination. I think the pressure will mount on them though.) They are going to be forced out of Augusta. The politicians who are members are crazy. They will be forced to quit. The members who spoke to the press will be kicked out if Hootie enforces the club's policy on speaking to the media about Augusta.
As far as the Masters goes, companies are not buying entertainment packages this year. Any publically held or high profile company cannot entertain at the Masters anymore if they know what's good for them. The PGA Tour has taken a somewhat hypocritical stance and will come under more fire. Look to pressure being put on companies with big ties to the Tour. I would also expect that major equipment companies who allow their logos to be worn at Augusta will come under fire. That will start a year form now if the situation hasn't changed.
Another interesting situation is that of the USGA. The USGA has a record for inclusion of women in golf and their organization. A couple of guys in line for the USGA presidency are Augusta members. They are not going to be the USGA president without resigning membership to Augusta.
Maybe Hootie will invite Gorby to join. They will have something in common, although Hootie's crumbling empire is hilarious on a much smaller scale.

11-12-2002, 08:10 PM
What would be the use of going to the gym if there wasn't women to look at?

Tom D
11-12-2002, 10:55 PM
The problem is that both men and women prefer to hang out with men, and some women think their “right” to choose who they hang out with takes precedence over someone else’s “right” to choose who he hangs out with. I have to wonder if what Burk is doing isn’t grounds for Augusta National to sue.

Tom D