PDA

View Full Version : When will you quit using AIM?

augie00
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I was just thinking about this...I'm on AIM about 24/7, when I'm not at the computer I leave an away message.

At what year of my life will I cease to use AIM? Ever since I've been about 13 it's been continuously running for 6 years now. When does the madness stop? 25? 30? NEVER???

Ianco15
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
It's a generation thing. We are in the first generation to use AIM. Older people don't use it as much as us because they didn't grow up with it like we did.

I would say never.

PoBoy321
04-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Some day I'll have an away message that says "Getting my yearly colonoscopy. BRB"

AngryCola
04-24-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a generation thing. We are in the first generation to use AIM. Older people don't use it as much as us because they didn't grow up with it like we did.

I would say never.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not completely generational.
I used to use AIM a lot, but barely touch it these days.
I think that I remember TSC saying something similar.

mason55
04-24-2005, 10:51 PM
i thought the same thing. i started being on aol then aim almost constantly... god.. probably 10 years ago. at this point, i enjoy not people able to have people constantly getting in touch with me. i don't really want to talk to people about crap, if i want to do something with my friends i'll call them. i always kind of thought the same way as you but around the time i turned 21 i just kind of lost interest in being on aim all the time.

tdarko
04-24-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
d.. probably 10 years ago. at this point, i enjoy not people able to have people constantly getting in touch with me. i don't really want to talk to people about crap, if i want to do something with my friends i'll call them.

[/ QUOTE ]
i am the same way, i keep it constantly on but always on away until someone i really do want to talk to signs on.

Jack of Arcades
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I'll stop using it when I don't want people to find me. Maybe not then, I might just switch names.

(SN: Jack of Arcades)

astroglide
04-25-2005, 12:05 AM
/images/graemlins/heart.gif msn messenger
/images/graemlins/mad.gif aim

Rhone
04-25-2005, 12:55 AM
What's AIM?

Rhone, (33 years old)

(OK, kind of just kidding. I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I've never used it.)

augie00
04-25-2005, 12:57 AM
AOL instant messenger

TimM
04-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Trillian - Connects to AIM, MSN, Yahoo and IRC in one program (ICQ also but I don't use it).

Age 38, but I've been using online services since the mid 80's with my Commodore 64 + 1200 baud modem. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dynasty
04-25-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AIM has been around for a while. When I was a kid, it was my favorite toothpaste. But, that's only because it was green. Now that I'm an adult, I just use a really good toothpaste like Crest.

Saying it's a generational thing isn't right. That implies us older (in 30s) folks don't know what we're doing.

ThaSaltCracka
04-25-2005, 01:06 AM
I think he is implying that since those that are younger (27 and younger) have virtually always had and known AIM. My parents know what it is, but they don't use it nearly as much as my brother and I do.

Anyways, Trillian rules, all my AIM and MSN names in one easy to use program.

fatmongo
04-25-2005, 01:18 AM
when they charge you for it. and even then, i still might use it.

Tron
04-25-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when they charge you for it. and even then, i still might use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 09:34 AM
I have AIM but I only really use to talk to a couple of people. I use Yahoo Messenger all the time though. Is this wrong? Can AIM and Yahoo talk to each other?

vulturesrow
04-25-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trillian - Connects to AIM, MSN, Yahoo and IRC in one program (ICQ also but I don't use it).

Age 38, but I've been using online services since the mid 80's with my Commodore 64 + 1200 baud modem. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gaim is like Trillian, not sure how they compare since I havent tried it(Trillian). But Gaim is very good.

I also had a Commodore 64 but sadly never got online with it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
I will most likely never stop. Again, AIM use doesn't have anything to do with your age; the program was released and the computer-saavy younger generation was the one to pick up on it.

My mom and grandmother both have accounts, now. They love it.

MarkL444
04-25-2005, 10:00 AM
hopefully soon. if it wasnt for all the 2p2ers i talk to on there i think i would have quit by now. major time waster.

tbach24
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
I use gaim. I don't know if I'll ever stop. It's very useful. I can't talk to 8 people about fantasy baseball at once on the phone, can I?

Voltron87
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I think I'll always use it to some degree, but not as much as I do now.

spamuell
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/heart.gif msn messenger
/images/graemlins/mad.gif aim

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really surprised by this. Why do you like msn messenger more? It's so, I don't know, bulky. Especially msn 7 which I refuse to use until they force me to (which will probably be pretty soon).

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't talk to 8 people about fantasy baseball at once on the phone, can I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually yes.

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gaim is like Trillian, not sure how they compare since I havent tried it(Trillian). But Gaim is very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know these things existed. I'd love to get rid of AIM and Yahoo and get a single program. Are they free? Which is better?

tbach24
04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know these things existed. I'd love to get rid of AIM and Yahoo and get a single program. Are they free? Which is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Trillian, but I really like Gaim. Just do a google search for it as I believe it was an odd website.

tbach24
04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Anyways, there's no phone in the computer room here, and I hate being on the phone unless it's important.

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
How?

[/ QUOTE ]

Conference call feature. Check with your service provider.

vulturesrow
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Jake,

Gaim is free, as I said, I dont how it compares to Trillian. But Gaim works quite well for me since I dont sue all the neat little features that bloat the messenger programs. I use it to talk to people, period. Gaim is pretty good in that it doesnt take up much of your system resources and it is very stable.

astroglide
04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised by this. Why do you like msn messenger more? It's so, I don't know, bulky. Especially msn 7 which I refuse to use until they force me to (which will probably be pretty soon).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.badbeat.com/tmp/mainwindow.jpg
http://www.badbeat.com/tmp/chatwindow.jpg

- it looks/feels like a native windows app and doesn't use custom widgets
- no integrated spyware/media viewers/etc
- interface can be stripped to the bone
- good native smilies
- winks are cool
- the ability to 'paint' a message with builtin ms paint basically
- automatic display of previous chat when you open a chat window for context

touchfaith
04-25-2005, 11:54 AM
It depends on how much you get bugged.

I use to be attached at the hip to IM'ing. My ICQ # is in the low 6 figures if that's any indication of how long... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif ...But it got to a point that I spent more time answering PC questions on IM that I had to cut the cord.

Once it starts, I'm not sure age plays into it. I think if you are the type of person that likes to talk, you will have some form of IM open on your PC forever.

Freakin
04-25-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
used to use AIM a lot, but barely touch it these days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Freakin

asofel
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at this point, i enjoy not people able to have people constantly getting in touch with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

this hurt my brain /images/graemlins/wink.gif

beerbandit
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
never used it

i hate people, talking to them is even worse