PDA

View Full Version : very confused about bubble play

TStokes
04-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I have been having trouble lately playing on the bubble. It seems like no matter what my stack size when we get down to 4 I end up taking 4th the majority of the time. I know that I need to be aggressive but I find that at times I am really confused as to what to do. My main problem is that I do not know if I should just push all in or make a minraise. This seems to be my biggest problem because if I just go all in and get called im done but usually my minraises get called. I also am not really comfortable raising with nothing I know that eventually I will be but it seems foreign right now. Should I be raising everytime it is folded to me? thanks for any advice you guys can give

Nottom
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
First rule of bubble play is to be the pusher and and not the caller, except with your very best hands.

Once you know that, bubble play all comes down to stack sizes and opponents calling standards. The trick is just figuring out what those calling standards are.

There are probably 10 hands/day posted about bubble play. Go back and read most of them for the past week and that should give you a good idea about what you should be doing.

TStokes
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
thanks I will start reading those but just as an example if im small and its folded to me and I have 72 and the big blind and I are even as far as chips are concerned and the big blind is around 300 what should I be doing here? this is the sort of situation I have trouble with

Nottom
04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks I will start reading those but just as an example if im small and its folded to me and I have 72 and the big blind and I are even as far as chips are concerned and the big blind is around 300 what should I be doing here? this is the sort of situation I have trouble with

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks? Is he loose or tight?

Like I said, these are the 2 most important things to think about on the bubble.

TStokes
04-24-2005, 08:45 PM
could you give me examples of what the right play would be if he was loose and if he was tight?

Nottom
04-24-2005, 08:47 PM
If he's loose tend to fold, if he's tight tend to push.

TStokes
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
thanks for the help

beeyjay
04-24-2005, 11:42 PM
This question shows a large misunderstanding when it comes to bubble play in itself. I can't answer this without knowing stack sizes. If you both have 4500 chips and the other 2 have 500 a piece this is sooo different than if you both have 800 chips.

From the sounds of it you just need to hang in there, learn what you can here but most importantly just play more and you will get better.

jzpiano14
04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Also just don't push with crap hands like 72, make it so if you get called you have something. 78 is a better hand, something suited, having a K or A also can make a big difference.

pooh74
04-25-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also just don't push with crap hands like 72, make it so if you get called you have something. 78 is a better hand, something suited, having a K or A also can make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I think people tend to take the "any two" thing too far...you want to have a hand that, if called, will still have a chance of success.

If you put x opponent as an 80% chance of folding you'd ideally like to have a hand that has a chance of winning so you are:

80% to win ~500 (blinds plus antes...does party poker have antes?)

and if called, on his range, your y hand will have a say 40% chance of success.

so of the 20% of the time your called, you will win 8% of the time...leaving an only 12% of going bust with this push....with 72o you may now go bust 15-16% of the time which over time equals real money in or out of your pocket.

These figures are just made up but just used to make the point.

p

tech
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My main problem is that I do not know if I should just push all in or make a minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, you should not be minraising. If you are going to raise and you are shortstacked, push.

ewing55
04-25-2005, 12:51 AM
MiniRaise vs. Push: it's debatable, but I think the general thought is that if either you or the 'villians' have less the 10BB (6.5BB...13BB) you push. If you are down to about 6BB or less, you pretty much have to push with just about everything.

------------Jeff