PDA

View Full Version : Jew Food

dsm
04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Please recommend a favorite Jewish bakery treat. I went to Canter's in Los Angeles to get my mom some pickles and noticed they had a bakery section. Too many people in line though, so I'll try something next time I go. Thanks.

http://www.cantersdeli.com/images/canterssign.gif

tbach24
04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I hate all normal Jewish desserts. If you're looking for something that's okay for passover, just get some of that cake mix. It's really good and probably not that difficult to make.

jakethebake
04-24-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate all normal Jewish desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was one?

tbach24
04-24-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate all normal Jewish desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was one?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. yeah, there's these dry mini-cookie things. [censored] gross.

Beerfund
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Money pie served with a side of penny flavored ice cream.

istewart
04-24-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Money pie served with a side of penny flavored ice cream.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

dsm
04-24-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking for something that's okay for passover, just get some of that cake mix. It's really good and probably not that difficult to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodman's kosher cake mix, I just found it on-line. I'm not Jewish so I don't celebrate passover, but if the cake is that good I'll give it a try. Thanks.

-dsm

tbach24
04-24-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking for something that's okay for passover, just get some of that cake mix. It's really good and probably not that difficult to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodman's kosher cake mix, I just found it on-line. I'm not Jewish so I don't celebrate passover, but if the cake is that good I'll give it a try. Thanks.

-dsm

[/ QUOTE ]

Its good as far as unlevened food goes. But so is matzot pizza. IMO, the only Jew food that is good is matzot ball soup.

Blarg
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Unleavened anything is prisoner food as far as I'm concerned. It's what you eat only when the alternative is dying.

Matzo soup is okay though, if the broth is really good. Not a classic to me, but maybe if I grew up with it, it would be.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unleavened anything is prisoner food as far as I'm concerned. It's what you eat only when the alternative is dying.

Matzo soup is okay though, if the broth is really good. Not a classic to me, but maybe if I grew up with it, it would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the opposite. I'm not from a very Jewish family, and we didn't really do Jewish meals a lot, so whenever I got matzot ball soup I thought it to be a treat. I agree that unlevened foods aren't very good, but MRE's and treatment foods are worse.

istewart
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Matzoh Ball Soup is the pwn.

Gefilte fish is... NOT.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Matzoh Ball Soup is the pwn.

Gefilte fish is... NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. One more Jew-esque food I have to add is whitefish salad. I don't really see it up here but in my grandparent's largely-Jewish condo thingy, there's a cafe and they have it and it's really good.

Blarg
04-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah those jewish cold fish platters are good. Gefilte fish, though, is one of the most disgusting things ever. My mom used to love that stuff. There was NO danger anyone in the house would ever snarf it up before she got to it, that's for sure.