PDA

View Full Version : Get Mad When You Hear People Say Jew?

IggyWH
04-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Do you get mad when you hear people use the word Jew? I have some Jewish friends and they're constantly calling people dumb jews and telling jew jokes and they think it's funny as hell. It's spread to the rest of the group now and "Jew" is the word.

Some people freak out when we're in public thinking if people hear us they'll get pissed. So, does it bother you if you hear someone use a reference like :

"dumb jew"
"that's jewish"

asofel
04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you get mad when you hear people use the word Jew? I have some Jewish friends and they're constantly calling people dumb jews and telling jew jokes and they think it's funny as hell. It's spread to the rest of the group now and "Jew" is the word.

Some people freak out when we're in public thinking if people hear us they'll get pissed. So, does it bother you if you hear someone use a reference like :

"dumb jew"
"that's jewish"

[/ QUOTE ]

its all context relative. most of my friends are like this regarding any characteristic...if i heard some guys talking, and they were obviously friends and joking around saying "you jew bastard" wouldn't offend me...if i heard some guys talking with hate in their voice about the "[censored] jew" across teh street, then obviously yes...

istewart
04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
No, not a chance. I know too many Jewish people like you perhaps. It probably wouldn't fly with some of my Jewish relatives but in general I don't know many that care.

wacki
04-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Some of my best friends are Jews. They can't stop telling Jew jokes and I love it.

Blarg
04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
I've known a ton of Jewish people and a surprising number seem to see anti-Jewish conspiracies everywhere, and even some young rich ones seem to enjoy feeling "oppressed." Not a majority, but a high enough percentage to make me roll my eyes more than is probably good for them. It gets pretty dull and annoying, in a politically correct, mealy-mouthed way.

If your friends are just the opposite of that, count yourself lucky that they know how to not take themselves so damn seriously like so many people do, and don't want to walk around pretending to be wounded and victims all the time. Better to have fun with your identity and not be uptight about it than always hold it in reserve as a weapon to beat up people, get cheesy, and bore them with. It's much nicer when people are not a grating pain in the ass to be around, and when people feel free to be silly or stupid sometimes. People constantly into taking their ethnicity seriously or oh-so-respectfully, or as if it were the hidden subtext of every conversation are incredibly tiresome to be around and are like lit bombs that nobody wants to be in the blast radius of.

jakethebake
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've known a ton of Jewish people and a surprising number seem to see anti-Jewish conspiracies everywhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

Take zaxx19 for instance... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voltron87
04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
These things are usually context, but usually Jew is ok but the verb form isn't.

Blarg
04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Stop trying to jew him out of a good thread.

IggyWH
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop trying to jew him out of a good thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... I might be the only one finding this funny but this is the exact type of comment that gets made all the time.

mason55
04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
It's all context and who you're with. It's inappropriate to tell a stranger to stop being a jew. If you're friends are jewish and you point out a penny on the ground and suggest they pick it up, it's funny. If someone else overhears you it's ridiculous for them to be offended.

The other day I told my asian gf that a pair of sunglasses she was looking at made her eyes look "chinky". Someone over heard and threw a fit, which just made my gf laugh even harder.

It's all in the context baby.

astroglide
04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
no, and my girlfriend is jewish

jakethebake
04-25-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you get mad when you hear people use the word Jew?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I? I'm not a Jew. Maybe if they were calling me a Jew I would. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a Jew.