PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans

The Truth
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Me and my buddy will be staying in New Orleans may 17-27 for a WPT event. From what I understand, the rake is 5 dollars plus 1 dollar jackpot.
We've been discussing how sick this is, and we are both considering not tipping the entire trip. It will be bad, considering both of us have been dealers for at least a week or 2 each. He plays lower limits so the rake could really hurt him. Any other suggestions on how to show our disapproval with the high rake without having to screw the dealers or not play altogther?

thanks

ErrantNight
04-24-2005, 05:16 PM
i dunno. win a lot? i played great for 3 days at Harrah's there and ran about even thanks to the rake... of course, "great" is relative because this was last summer and I wasn't nearly a good a player then as I am now...

wonderwes
04-26-2005, 02:35 AM
WPT event? Don't you mean WSOP circuit event? I am also attending this. I am pretty sure the Harrah's poker room is going to be packed with a huge waiting list. If it gets too bad if I am not playing one of the tournys, I might drive to gulfport/biloxi.

MicroBob
04-26-2005, 04:05 AM
yes...this is the WSOP circuit event...not WPT.

They should be setting up tournament-tables outside the main poker-room and I wold assume they will have side-games going on in whatever convention-room of the hotel this is taking place in also.

They could still be really jammed... but I would think they will set up more space somewhere in there wouldn't they?

I wouldn't mind getting down there for this event myself but it's looking doubtful.

Regarding the rake.
It sucks.

Play higher or win a lot I guess (or both).

I suppose being a little less generous on tipping wouldn't be SO terrible.
Like a small-ish pot where you MAYBE would tip a dollar if you are feeling generous would now become a no-tip hand.

One of the more recent times I was there I was sitting in a 3/6 game (or maybe it was 4/8) next to a guy who would tip $4 or $5 for every hand he would win.
One time he won a $10 or $15 pot or something and tipped $5.
No point really...just something this thread reminded me of.

jetsg4
05-05-2005, 10:36 AM
last year they filled the Poker Room and busted those tables to fill the tables setup in the earl turner center. I can't remember how many tables they had in there, but it was a lot.... great room too... it should be great...

JET

Barry
05-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah the rake is high and they have the jackpot drop as well, but the games are usually so juicy, that it more than makes up for it.

feelixthegreek
05-05-2005, 11:05 AM
The vast majority of the dealers there are good people. I wouldn't advise taking out your frustration over Harrah's greed on them.

Besides, the low-limit games there are so good that you won't mind the extra rake.

wstaffor
05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
The 3/6 game here is so juicy, the rake makes practically no difference. Think about it, New Orleans is one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world, and just about the only place on earth more debaucherous than Vegas. Harrah's low limit games are PACKED with drunken idiot tourists who commonly don't know how to play limit because "they don't show this game on the TV." It's hilarious and profitable, all at once.

lighterjobs
05-05-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 3/6 game here is so juicy, the rake makes practically no difference. Think about it, New Orleans is one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world, and just about the only place on earth more debaucherous than Vegas. Harrah's low limit games are PACKED with drunken idiot tourists who commonly don't know how to play limit because "they don't show this game on the TV." It's hilarious and profitable, all at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems to me that it would be pretty tough to beat a $3-$6 game when the tourists are wasted. it seems like it would be much easier to be a $100 nlhe game.

squeek12
05-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Don't feel too sorry for yourself. Harrah's in N'awlins is my home room. There is a small, little known room across the Mississippi about 15 min. from Harrah's called Boomtown, but it's only 10 tables I think. Their rake is only 4 max.

Patrick del Poker Grande
05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't feel too sorry for yourself. Harrah's in N'awlins is my home room. There is a small, little known room across the Mississippi about 15 min. from Harrah's called Boomtown, but it's only 10 tables I think. Their rake is only 4 max.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, man. Don't lead these good people astray. Boomtown only spreads one game and it's something like 3/6. It's not worth the little time it takes to drive over there.

feelixthegreek
05-06-2005, 10:58 AM
There's no pleasure at all going to Boomtown, espeically just to save a dollar a pot.

Sunshine
05-06-2005, 10:22 PM
dude....there was a time I didn't tip the dealers much (younger then and winning now, so tipping doesn't make a difference), but they gotta make a livin' and you gotta live right...If you are one of those people who don't tip, then shame on you...

Sunshine
05-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Had New Orleans as a territory for a few years and won ~80% of the time...the tables are soft AND passive (at least they were)...Another reason to cover the tip...

feelixthegreek
05-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Passive mostly, with the occasional maniac fest, especially if a bachelor party rolls in. Oftentimes, late on a weekend, there will be people playing whose lights are out completely. Don't feel bad for them, though, as they will probably get mugged on their way back to their hotel room anyway.