PDA

View Full Version : Hands to play preflop

Fatdogs12
04-24-2005, 03:21 PM
This question may be dumb but how do you know which hands to play preflop at which points in the game. I mean I am constantly reading and rereading TOP but I am constantly confused by the hands that people say to push at certain points preflop and to fold.

What reasoning do you generally use to figure this out?

Thanks

jpg7n16
04-24-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Other books.

Ie. Harrington on Hold'Em... Tournaments for Advanced Players...

TOP is great as far as theory of poker goes (hence the title)... but for strategy for the specific game of hold'em... buy other books.

Bigwig
04-24-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This question may be dumb but how do you know which hands to play preflop at which points in the game. I mean I am constantly reading and rereading TOP but I am constantly confused by the hands that people say to push at certain points preflop and to fold.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a dumb question. It's a very good, important one, in fact.

The problem is that I could write 10,000 words on the subject. It's very difficult to answer.

I suggest finding Aleo's Guide to help you start with this stuff. Additionally, adjusting Sklansky's Limit Groups for NL can give you some ideas. The adjustment should lower the value of suited connectors and broadway cards, and raise the value of A's and pairs.

Hope that helps.

Tilt
04-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Start here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&fpart=&PHPSESSID=