View Full Version : TOP check check bet rule

jt1
04-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I have QQ and raise in EP. A quiet player in LP raises. I call. It's HU

XXX

check call

x

check call

x (all rags no paint and just one hole card would not have made a straight nor was the board three suited)

Hero bets. Villian raises. Hero folds /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MoP_86
04-24-2005, 02:51 PM
yes you may infact be beat here... but with just one last bet to call you must call with a hand like QQ especially since the board was all rags. If the board was more threatening then you would consider a fold.

MoP_86
04-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Id also like to add that while it was your choice... you have not shown any power throughout the hand and his betting style is very common for someone holding AK...

Yobz
04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
QQ is not the kind of hand I would pull this line with: its vulnerable to overcards. Cap preflop, bet out, 3-bet, and if capped then call down...i have a problem, even against a passive, laying QQ down w/o overcards

WhiteWolf
04-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Forgive my ignorance... what is the TOP check check bet rule?

TIA,

The Wolf

jt1
04-24-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the TOP check check bet rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in Theory of Poker by Sklansky, he writes that when you are three bet on your left while holding a big pair, it is often best just to call the raise and check call through, sometimes leading on the river.

imported_stealthcow
04-24-2005, 03:16 PM
you have to play faster on the flop/turn.

and there are very few players who i'll lay down this hand on the river too given how its been played

jt1
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and there are very few players who i'll lay down this hand on the river too given how its been played

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that JJ and TT will call down if you cap and lead, while, AA and KK will raise you, probably, on the turn. Furthermore, AK will fold the river. But if you check call and bet the river then you only loose a half bet each by JJ and TT, while saving a bet each by not giving AA and KK the opportunity to raise you, and you get an extra bet from AK, because, that holding will usually call the river. Overall, you get the same amount of money from the hands you beat, and loose slightly less from the hands that beat you.

However, it all breaks down when you get raised on the river /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nor is the math close to as exact as I described...

chesspain
04-24-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the TOP check check bet rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in Theory of Poker by Sklansky, he writes that when you are three bet on your left while holding a big pair, it is often best just to call the raise and check call through, sometimes leading on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's from Holdem for the Advanced Player.

ErrantNight
04-24-2005, 06:33 PM
you should be bet/calling most of the time w/ c/c c/c b when you have an unknown.

more importantly: you should be capping QQ.

ErrantNight
04-24-2005, 06:36 PM
since the only two hands that scare you are AA and KK, but villain could easy have a hand with outs against you, but given his range of hands you probably have an equity edge preflop, this is a REALLY, REALLY easy cap.

most of these way ahead/behind situations occur when you raise something like AJo or ATo or KQ and get isolated and hit an A (or, say, a K). Or similar situations. Where your hand does not definitely have a preflop equity edge to cap w/, and where after the flop you're likely ahead to stay or behind to stay.

But REGARDLESS call this river. Please.