PDA

View Full Version : Responding to min raises

Tilt
04-24-2005, 10:12 AM
How do you respond to min raises in the BB during the middle rounds or near the bubble? I often feel priced in, especially when the min raise come with good reads on the villain's holdings.

Three examples

Hand 1 - from the 10's. Blinds 100-200. We are 5 handed, I have the table covered by a slight bit. Me in BB with t4700 and holding 44, min raise from weak button player with t1400 means AJ-AK, 88+. Easy fold? I did. Should I try and flop a set here?

Hand 2 - from the 10's. Blinds 50-100, we are 7 handed. Me in BB with 9Ts and t2300. Button is semi-maniac with t1800, folded to him he min raises which means any A, K, any PP, any two broadway. See a flop or just steal it back later?

Hand 3 - from the 20's. Me in BB with 5700, have table covered, we are 5 handed. Blinds 75-150. I have 56s when passive weak player min raises from button with a stack of t1000. His raise means he has AQ+, TT+. Easy fold, Im sure, but I called with a plan to set him in with any pair or draw.

Any comments - even sarcastic haikus - on the general topic of responding to min raises are appreciated. These hands are a small sample....I am being min raised all the time, and am uncertain about when to call and play the flop. I have a good sense of when to just pop them back with a reraise. But if these min raises are theoretically mistakes made by my opponents, what is the best way to make them pay for their mistakes?

Tilt
04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
And so I bump this
Have all of you no wisdom
Or haikus to offer?

Bigwig
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - from the 10's. Blinds 100-200. We are 5 handed, I have the table covered by a slight bit. Me in BB with t4700 and holding 44, min raise from weak button player with t1400 means AJ-AK, 88+. Easy fold? I did. Should I try and flop a set here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not an easy fold. And no, I wouldn't try to flop a set. You don't have the implied odds to call strictly for set value. Many people might recommend the stop n' go here, but I would push all-in preflop. My guess is that you're probably about 50/50 against his range of hands, or possibly even better higher. With the dead money, and your large stack, I'd put him to the test for his tournament life.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 - from the 10's. Blinds 50-100, we are 7 handed. Me in BB with 9Ts and t2300. Button is semi-maniac with t1800, folded to him he min raises which means any A, K, any PP, any two broadway. See a flop or just steal it back later?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a maniac, why are you going to reraise him all in with T high? If he's nuts, you're likely to get a call from his KT. On this one, I see a flop. You're getting good pot odds, and the extra 100 is less than 5% of your stack. Great time to flop a good disguised hand, or something you can semi-bluff with.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3 - from the 20's. Me in BB with 5700, have table covered, we are 5 handed. Blinds 75-150. I have 56s when passive weak player min raises from button with a stack of t1000. His raise means he has AQ+, TT+. Easy fold, Im sure, but I called with a plan to set him in with any pair or draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this hand range? It's far too tight. His raise could mean anything, even 97s. I'd call here and see a flop. When you're in the BB facing a mini-raise with a stack that's healthy (especially very healthy at 20+BB), you're getting odds to call and see a flop with virtually ANY playable hand. This includes low suited connectors, any two broadway, A7+, any pp, etc. Hell, even T9o. Call and see the flop. And don't assume such narrow hand ranges.

[ QUOTE ]
I am being min raised all the time, and am uncertain about when to call and play the flop. I have a good sense of when to just pop them back with a reraise. But if these min raises are theoretically mistakes made by my opponents, what is the best way to make them pay for their mistakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said how to make them pay. Call with your playable hands when you've got a stack. Make them pay when you hit a flop. Reraise back all-in when you're sure that you're a solid favorite over their range of hands. Mini-raising isn't always a mistake, BTW. But in general, players mini-raise far too often.

Sandwich
04-24-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And so I bump this
Have all of you no wisdom
Or haikus to offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo check your third line
You see that ain't no haiku
Sarcastic enough?