PDA

View Full Version : Raise or Limp

mcreech65
04-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm having a little waivering doubt about raising or limping or with marginal hands in short-handed play (4-6 people)

Assume 6 handed, blinds 50/100. Hero has 1000 chips. Assume everyone folds to Hero. From button or 1 in front, do I raise 250 or call 100 with marginal hands like 33, A6, K8, 65's. I'm thinking more about managing the size of the pot. I'd like to know how many people raise, call, or fold with these hands.

A6
K8
65's

Also if there was an early caller how would it change your play?

willperkins
04-24-2005, 10:31 AM
I do not claim to be an expert, and will bow to others better than I, but IMHO, I play these hands this way:

Button or cutoff folded to me:

33 and A6:
Raise 3 X BB (if I decide to raise 4 X BB I will go ahead and push) trying to steal blinds with the following criteria:

1. I think there is a good chance that Button, SB and BB will fold.
2. None of them have a huge stack.

If I thought that they might call the raise or they have a huge stack, I would limp with 33 in the hopes of flopping trips. I would fold to a reraise.

I would not limp with A6. I would either fold or raise if the criteria above is met.

I would fold K8 and 65s and wait for a better hand. I am getting short stacked in relation to the blinds and would not want to get involved with these two hands.

As stated, I am still learning this game and could be very wrong in my play.

mcreech65
04-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Assume average stacks for the small and big blind

pooh74
04-24-2005, 11:33 AM
huge difference between 4 and 6 people IMO. Being more specific in this regard will lead to vastly different answers to your question.

mcreech65
04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Assume 6-handed, but please discuss the differences between your style of play 4 handed vs. 6 handed.

pooh74
04-24-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not claim to be an expert, and will bow to others better than I, but IMHO, I play these hands this way:

Button or cutoff folded to me:

33 and A6:
Raise 3 X BB (if I decide to raise 4 X BB I will go ahead and push) trying to steal blinds with the following criteria:

1. I think there is a good chance that Button, SB and BB will fold.
2. None of them have a huge stack.

If I thought that they might call the raise or they have a huge stack, I would limp with 33 in the hopes of flopping trips. I would fold to a reraise.

I would not limp with A6. I would either fold or raise if the criteria above is met.

I would fold K8 and 65s and wait for a better hand. I am getting short stacked in relation to the blinds and would not want to get involved with these two hands.

As stated, I am still learning this game and could be very wrong in my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you raise to 300 w/ 33 and then fold if BB pushed?

If you limp with 33 for set value, youre calling 1/10th your stack on a chance that 1. you're not raised PF and 2. 8-1 to see a 3 flop or youre done. This is VERY LEAKY.

I think with 4 left, Ill fold these (33/A6) on button...but wont be happy about it. My reasoning is that at level 4 if there only 4 left, must be pretty loose and its impossible that both sb and bb are small stacks here. Bad hypo...if you have a 1000 and 4 left...where are the chips?

pooh74
04-24-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume 6-handed, but please discuss the differences between your style of play 4 handed vs. 6 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 handed calling ranges will be tighter if you push. Pushing these are better 4 handed than 6...ppl will call with a wider range 6handed bc they know they are not assured to place if they just sit back...you may be called down to 44 and A9s 6 handed....whereas 4 handed that range will tighten up.

Here its all about fold equity...hence the seperate issue of stack size and table posture.

microbet
04-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Very very rare that I will limp at this point. If it is limped to me and I'm on the button, and I wanna play, I'll at least raise 300 to try and steal the blinds. That works a lot. If the blinds (especially BB) have less than like 9BBs, I will either push or fold.

I know the sorta rule with pp's is you can limp with 1/10th of your stack or so, but at this point you need those chips for folding equity. Much better to limp with pp's back when it was 1/20th of your stack or less.

Bigwig
04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a little waivering doubt about raising or limping or with marginal hands in short-handed play (4-6 people)

Assume 6 handed, blinds 50/100. Hero has 1000 chips. Assume everyone folds to Hero. From button or 1 in front, do I raise 250 or call 100 with marginal hands like 33, A6, K8, 65's. I'm thinking more about managing the size of the pot. I'd like to know how many people raise, call, or fold with these hands.

A6
K8
65's

Also if there was an early caller how would it change your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't answer the 'button or one in front' line, because my answers will change based on that one extra seat. I will say this: don't call with that chip stack and those blinds with any of these hands.

mcreech65
04-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I can't answer the 'button or one in front' line, because my answers will change based on that one extra seat. I will say this: don't call with that chip stack and those blinds with any of these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me how the 1 seat would change your play.

Bigwig
04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me how the 1 seat would change your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the CO, I have three players left to act, and my hand equity is different for three random hands vs. two. Additionally, if you call, and the Button calls, you'll be out of position postflop. Therefore, your raising standards need to be tighter from the CO than the Button.

I think that's pretty obvious, but maybe that's not what you're asking.