PDA

View Full Version : LV trip report; or, could I BE any more of a luckbox?

leon
04-24-2005, 03:39 AM
Continuing with my tradition, here's my latest LV trip report. I'll go back to the old format of day by day progress.

I flew in Fri night after being on call 25 hrs Thurs and basically being up that whole time. What a horrific call. Thus, Fri was basically "come in, eat dinner with the parents, and sleep" for me. I'll be in action come Sat.

Sat-
off to the Mirage to meet up with pokerbabe. She's in the 20/40 game with Bob S, another long time poster here. She intro's us. More on Bob later- he's a cool guy, a great player, and we end up hanging more throughout the week. I sit 40/80 and drop 200, then move to the 20/40 to spend time with the babe and Bob. I end up +100 in a bad game. The babe leaves. Bob proposes we go to the palms and try and get a 5/10 NL game going there. I've never played in the palms so I say sure, plus I could picture some loose action there so we head. There's no game going when we get there so we grab some grub and wait. Bob tells me part of his story- basically he works 6 mo out of the year, but plays well enough to support himself the other 6 mo. He strikes me as a pretty down-to earth guy and someone who is realistic about poker. I think with the recent boom, the huge flood of losers, and the new winners thereby, that some people really forget this is a long run game. And unforgiving. No matter- it doesn't apply to Bob. We get called for the game and it's fair, not great. Couple of soft spots in the game though- one moron to my left who will come into any pot for 40$ or so with total trash, then play predictably postflop. Good. Also a guy who wouldn't bet his flopped set despite a non-threatening board. This was on all streets, mind you. OK, if he bets he gets no action from me unless I have something approximating the nuts. I get lucky and break a guy with my flopped set and rivered boat against his turned flush. I leave shortly after 1800$ winner. Apparently Macaulay Culkin was there filming an episode of Celebrity poker showdown and came by and played later- and dropped 2K. Oh well.

Sun-
My friend Tom gets in. Tom plays low limit HE and is learning the game. He also is willing to join me in craps and thus will make a good companion for the next few days. He leaves Thurs so I assume my serious playing will be basically put on hold till then. We head straight for the Mandalay Bay for some 1/2 kill, 1/2 blind 4/8 HE action. For those who don't know, I'm the action in this game. My sole goal is to put as many bad beats on people and create as much action as possible, while still trying to play semi-correctly post flop. Ie, I'll 3 bet PF with 27o, but then won't give action post flop unless I flop to my hand or think I can put a move on my opponents, etc. It's great fun- basically I'm just killing time, having a blast doing it, while being a theoretical ATM to my opponents. It's funny how many people I've played with doing this that get upset- usually it's not too bad but some people (usually grumpy old men) REALLY tend to go on tilt. Most people react with good humor to my style of play and a good time is had by all. Plus I normally break the grumpy old men anyways. So we play, Tom wins 60$, decent for this game, and hits the high hand jackpot there with quad 5's. WOOHOO! Of course, to qualify for the jackpot there has to be at least 20$ in the pot. Yours truly generated that requirement for Tom by betting into him on all streets with a busted 10 high. You're welcome Tom. "How much is quad 5's worth? Oh, 20 bucks". LOL. I manage to only get stuck 200. Our plan is to hook up on Mon with the babe and Bob for some more Mandalay action, where I am promised that the babe will open up her game.

Mon-
Tom and I meet the babe and Bob. We eat at the buffet first and talk poker, medicine and life in general. Life is good. Then, the wrath on the mandalay 4/8 is unleashed. Babe, as promised, opens up her game, of course not nearly to the extent I do. Tom profits from this wild play and books a 100$ winner, plus hits the high hand jackpot AGAIN with quad queens, against the babe. I call Tom's hand blind before he flips his cards. Cool. "How much is quad queens worth? Gee probably 20$ again. Oh wait, it's 500$. WOOHOO!" Nice little bonus for him. Babe crushes the game and racks up 200$ more than she started with. I go through huge swings as predicted and end up 12$ winner. Bob... let's just say Bob is running bad. He bleeds like a stuck pig, good hands and bad hands alike. At one point he calls my hand and says, "he's either got X or Y". I of course have Z which is totally different, and as I'm raking in the pot, juiced up with a sizable portion of Bob's money, I go "good read Bob. Dead on as usual." The table laughs. We did end up breaking like 15 people and finally broke the game itself. Good stuff.

Later that night Tom and I head to the stratosphere, my favorite place to play craps. I'll say it again- craps is my biggest poker leak. That being said, I OWN the stratosphere. That night is no different as the table is hot right when we step up. Tom has a good roll, the next guy has an even better roll and all of the sudden I'm up almost 2K. I have a nothing roll, color up and out and walk with a 1600$ win. Cha-Ching!

Tues-
we figure we'll check out the new MGM poker room. I like the room for it's space and foot traffic nearby, and HATE its proximity to a noisy bar. Oh well, hot chicks and random passerbys are the by-product so I guess it's cool. Tom sits 2/4 and I sit 10/20 which is the biggest game they have. For 3 hrs I'm the only name on the 15/30, 20/40, 30/60 and 40/80 lists. I feel like a PLAYA, ya know? The 10/20 is ridiculously easy but I find an irrepressible urge to play Mandalay style. The game just isn't big enough to attract my interest which is a dangerous thing, b/c Mandalay style in a 10/20 game could easily cost me 500 or more. No matter- balls to the wall baby! I Mandalay it for an hr and start putting people on tilt. This guy next to me says "you seem like you can handle your chips. When I ask you questions you seem like you know a lot about the game. So why do you play SO BAD?" I laugh and apologize and promise to play "better", which I promptly don't do. The session is capped with my raise UTG+1 with 27o which is cold called by a horrible but nice calling station on the button and UTG who thinks I should play better. Flop- A 2 7. Yum. Check-bet- think and fold?!, think and fold. Doh. I flip my cards up and say to the calling station "good read. good read". The whole table loses it. Next and last hand, I have some trash UTG. All fold to calling station who limps. BB raps. Same 3 of us. Flop is some garbage missing me completely. We check, callign station bets and we fold. Calling station flips up Q5o for top and bottom pair and says, "good read. Good read". LOL. It doesn't get better than this. I leave the game 200$ winner, which I promptly give back...

at the Mandalay. Same game, different outcome. Both Tom and I get stuck. I feel bad for Tom b/c he's learning and really trying to play well, and I'm not setting an example for him. I do teach him and offer him good advice, but he certainly can't model his play after mine haha. I drop the same 200$ after being stuck almost 400$ in this game. At that point I decide that I can handle giving these fine people 200, but 400$ is crossing the line. So, I play well and manage to only book a 200 loser.

Wed-
I convince Tom to head to the Bellagio so we can check out the WPT 25k event and I can play some serious poker for a while. He sits 4/8 and gets creamed. Standard "new player trying to play well, getting premium hands and getting his head handed to him". A lesson he will have to become very familar with, I tell him. I sit 10/20 NL and almost immediately wish I hadn't. The game is playing very big, a couple of 10K stacks, and very aggressive with huge overbets preflop and big moves post flop. Yuck. Meanwhile I'm the idiot in there with a medium stack (3K), wishing I could short stack myself so I could make moves preflop with these guys, or considering buying in for another 7K to give me some room to maneuver. Normally I'm a post-flop player in NL but these guys were really cramping my style. I'll freely admit I was outgunned at that table simply from the way the action played out. Of course, that doesn't stop me from getting lucky and winning 2.5K in the game. I look over and see Bob at a 15/30 table and we chat. The more we chat the more I realize I really don't want to play in this game. I rack up and leave which I consider the best decision I made the whole trip. Bob heads to the Sahara for a tourney and Tom and I head to the Mandalay. This night is mine- I run over the table and win almost 200$. Tom gets stuck again- a lot of it to me. Oh well. I feel bad, sort of. Time and time again my trash flops 2 pair to his 1, and I'm forced to play it seriously (Obviously I would never soft play a friend). Anyways, it's nothing he won't have to deal with time and time again in his poker careeer.

Thurs-
Tom leaves today. We start out with craps and the table is ICE COLD. I drop 500$ in the blink of an eye and sit out while Tom plays more. He's not an aggressive bettor like me so his chips definitely last longer when the table is cold. I have a fine time just watching him, although it would be better if I was watching wins. Finally he drops 200 and says enough. We head to the Mandalay again for his last session, where he promptly... gets stuck. I win 2$. He needs to work on his game for sure, but at least he has a fledgling bankroll to do it with. All in all a good trip for him, a net win and lots of experience under his belt. After I drop him off at the airport I decide I'm too tired and just chill at home.

Fri-
this is where things cross the line from ridiculous to surreal. I meet the babe and Bob at the Mirage as planned. I play 40/80 for a while until they show and book a small win of 370$. Once they come we all sit 20/40. All of us have a good time, although Bob continues to run bad. He's leaving the next day. I absolutely STEAMROLL the table. Everything I touch wins, and I get good action on my hands too. I use my momentum accordingly and start putting moves on people- exhibit A- irishboy (I think?), a fellow 2+2 er is sitting to my right. He openraises in semi late and I 3 bet with AQo. All fold and we see a K rag rag flop. He checks, I bet, he check raises. Him. I sense weakness and 3 bet. He folds. For all I know I might have had the best hand and this was not, in fact, a move. Exhibit B- horrible player limps UTG, I pop in middle with A9o, and horrible player on the button cold calls, and babe in the BB calls. Uh oh. That didn't work. Flop comes 238 two tone and babe bets out. UTG folds, I raise, horrible player cold calls again?! and babe calls with a knowing look on her face. Knowing look to me says "leon has to have a big hand here. That's how he played it the whole way through. Plus, this horrible button is chasing. So Leon's probably not bluffing". My read is, horrible player is chasing and I still probably have him beat, and Babe will fold to a turn bet. Here we go. Turn is a blank, check-bet FOLD?! Fold. ahh. I really didn't think button would fold, but hey, miracles happen. Babe's fold I expected. Bob goes, "show the aces Leon". I say, "I can only show you one" and flip my ace high up. Quizzical looks ensue.

I take a short break from the game and walk with babe and Bob to her new car, which is pretty sweet. Say my see-ya-laters to Bob who really is a cool guy. Nice playing with you Bob, hope we can do it again. After that it's back to the game, where I end up running over it for 2.3K total. It takes me 7 racks and 2 trips to the cage to get all my chips over. The plan now is to meet Key West Mike, another one of the babe's best boys at the MGM later and try and get a 40/80 game going there, and feast on some loose action. Apparently they've been able to do this the last 2 weekends with good results. I have my doubts but show up anyway. 8 of us end up playing in probably the worst 40/80 game West of the Mississippi. Everyone at the table could play decently, and some were damn good. Of course we were all there waiting for this loose action which never materialized while I was there. It was sort of humorous to have a new player sit down several times and try and buy in, only to realize it wasn't the 2/4 game he was looking for. LOL. We tried in vain to convince them to join us, citing the new pink 10$ chips as a reason, but to no avail. Around midnight I decide this is stupid and rack up 800$ winner. Lucky. Apparently the game got good after that and went into the wee hrs. Oh well.

Now that I'm up 3.4K for the day I decide to try and make it an even 4K. I'm pokered out so I head for the stratosphere/craps. The table is hot, I own the stratosphere again and quickly win 1K. Not done, I decide I haven't played video poker in a while and go for that. I hit quad aces on a machine that pays more for precisely that hand and win 100$ there too. Just surreal. I end the day 4.5K winner.

Sat-
The end of the trip. Too bad. I'm looking forward to going home but it will also mean the end of my vacation. I join the babe at the Mirage one last time for some 20/40. Great game but I get no cards. I've run so well for so long now I don't even care. I'm just getting bored which is the shame. Both babe and I get stuck, me for 500$. Once she leaves I bail and go clean up the house a bit. After dinner I felt I wasn't done and head to the Hilton. I collect 1$ chips from places and the Hilton was one of the few I didn't have, plus it's right across from my parents place so I figure what the hell. While I'm there I think to myself, "you know, you haven't played any blackjack this whole trip! Which is good, b/c you always get killed at blackjack" So what do I do? Of course I play blackjack. And catch a huge run. I mean huge- I've never personally had that hot of a shoe. Betting 25$ I ran 400 into 1.7K, all while playing for the dealer with nickels every time. I couldn't lose- all my double downs won, I had pat hands, and every time I had 15 or some such the dealer would have a 6 up and bust. It was tremendous. I leave 1.3K up and completely erase the earlier session at the Mirage. Not finished, I then head to the stratosphere for a last- bit of craps. I plan on allowing for a 500$ loss. Instead I win 400$. Nice. OK, well, how bout some video poker? In the final cap to this whole ridiculous week, my machine hits quads 3 TIMES IN 10 MIN. I make quad aces, 3's and queens. I play down to a 300$ win at that machine and call it a night, and a trip.

This whole week has been just surreal. Net win- 10.9K. Nevermind the fun and human interaction I had, and meeting new people. What a f'ing cool week. Thanks for reading.

Leon

rlr
04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Nice report ^^

Mike Gallo
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Awesome report.

Barry
04-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Nice report and nice run Leon. I hope I run as well as you did when I head out there in 2 weeks.

What's up? No golf with the Babe and Bob S.?

PokerBabe(aka)
04-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Hey Barry,

leon does not play golf. I mean, with all this gaming and socializing, not to mention counting his money, how the heck could he find time to play golf? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both Key West Mike and Bob S. had very nice things to say about this best boy. Looks like he will make the list again in '05. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course, that is provided the "s" thing GOES.

Give Tom my regards. He is on the way to LGPG status so please encourage him to play solid and conservative poker (for now).

Say Hi to Alice.

See you next time.

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PukaPlaya
04-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Great report, great results.

Keep em' coming.

PokerPaul
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Pokerbabe,

just curious but since he said you are a mirage 20/40 regular, and i was at mirage 2 weeks ago for several days at the 20/30, just wondering if i played you.

Are you dark haired, parted down middle, neck length, aprox. mid forties?

PokerBabe(aka)
04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes, with bangs. Good memory.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

PokerPaul
04-26-2005, 02:20 PM
ahhhhhhhh...

whats with the heart!!

after the fact i think i should apologize to you, i went on quite a run there and drew out on you quite a few times.

although i must say..nothing seeme to rattle u

Barry
04-26-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
although i must say..nothing seeme to rattle u

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you didn't get "You called MY raise with that?" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

leon
04-26-2005, 05:28 PM
The babe is pretty much unflappable when it comes to that stuff. You'd have to put multiple bad beats on her and laugh or something before she'd get ticked off.

Once you know her, however, you might catch more of "wait, you called me with that?!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif You'll know she respects your play at that point.

Leon