PDA

View Full Version : Do the Lions now have the greatest receiving corp of all time?

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams......

And they're all under 25

tworooks
04-24-2005, 12:14 AM
no, but there is so much potential i don't doubt that it could become one of the greatest of all time. but all 3 need to pan out, and also harrington, but with 3 legitimate threats to throw to, this could be the most feared receiving corp for years to come. but again, they havent proven anything yet, so they cant be the greatest.

tech
04-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Surely you aren't serious.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 12:15 AM
It's not even the best in the NFL right now. Colts, Raiders both have better for sure, probably more.

ClassicBob
04-24-2005, 12:15 AM
How has anyone voted yes? Rogers has played approximately 27 plays in the NFL, and M. Williams has yet to play one. Do they have a chance? Sure. But let's see them play a few seasons together first.

[censored]
04-24-2005, 12:16 AM
is A_C_Slater out of his mind?

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

kerssens
04-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The three amigos were Mark Jackson, Ricky Nattiel and Vance Johnson?

kerssens
04-24-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is A_C_Slater out of his mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

He and Jesse Spano must be going through some difficult times.

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The three amigos were Mark Jackson, Ricky Nattiel and Vance Johnson?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. Sadly, not the best all time.

Broncos best ever was probably Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith, and Ashley Lelie...plus you had the best TE of all time in Shannon Sharpe.

A_C_Slater
Obviously they are not established pro bowlers/hall of famers. Mike Williams has yet to play. Roy Williams just finished his rookie year and he made more than a few sick grabs, including a leaping one handed grab while double covered. Charles Rogers was injured the last two years but he was the top WR in his class. I was of course making the poll based on their potential to be the best ever.

I also saw Roy Williams make a catch double covered and then break three tackles and literally walk into the endzone. I have never seen a WR do that before.

kerssens
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Broncos best ever was probably Ed McCaffrey, Rod Smith, and Ashley Lelie...plus you had the best TE of all time in Shannon Sharpe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn't put them up there as the best of all time but the post reminded me of them.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't hold a candle to Moss, Carter and whoever their 3rd WR is. Moss = best player ever.

mcb
04-24-2005, 12:23 AM
There is a good chance one of those three is getting traded. I would love to see them play together, though, because I'm a Lions fan.

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Prediction ---the Lions will win the NFC north this year.

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh, also Randy Moss and Cris Carter were a fearsome duo. I don't remember who was third on that since the other two just stole the show.

BadBoyBenny
04-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Weakest division in the NFL

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rice = best receiver ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

kerssens
04-24-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, also Randy Moss and Cris Carter were a fearsome duo. I don't remember who was third on that since the other two just stole the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake Reed had a stint in there.

[censored]
04-24-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake Reed, they may have also had Rocket's younger brother as well at the time (Ismail).

tbach24
04-24-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but Moss will be.

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but Moss will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moss will only be remembered as the most immature player ever. I'll grant you some of the stuff he pulled (i.e. the moon) was funny as hell...but that will never erase memories like him walking off the field sans teammates.

Personally, I think Moss is by far the most talented receiver in the NFL. That being said, it's obvious that he just doesn't have the work ethic or the maturity to translate that into being the best overall receiver in the NFL. Watch the interview he did with Jimmy Johnson last year and you'll see, this guy ain't never gonna change.

Personally, that's why I like T.O. He talks an incredible amount of smack, but he backs it up week after week with a ridiculous work ethic. More importantly, he plays for the team, not just for himself.

Ianco15
04-24-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't hold a candle to Moss, Carter and whoever their 3rd WR is. Moss = best player ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
A) Rice is definitely the best ever.

B) The third receiver of that crew was Jake Reed, and that was a damn good trio. This was in 1998 and Randall Cunningham was the QB and he was on fire.

In 1998 the 49ers had also had a great receiving core with Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens. They also had Steve "Hall of Fame" Young throwing the ball. The third receiver was JJ Stokes.

youngndumb
04-24-2005, 12:42 AM
So what about As Hakim? I would have to think he is probably at least the #2 reciever in detroit right now...

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Charles Rogers--- 2003 Round 1, pick #2

Roy Williams ---- 2004 Round 1, pick #7

Mike Williams --- 2005 Round 1, pick #10

They will dominate. They will burn the corners in the back field and make astounding acrobatic grabs. No one will stop them. In time you will realize that the Rogers/dual Williams trio will be >Moss>Rice>Carter.

And Kevin Jones will be seen as a worthy heir to Barry Sanders.

youngndumb
04-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Haha, not only have you not even listed the top three recievers in detroit, you now proclaim someone to be the heir to number 22. Go back to the field hockey forum, your just being a pest to actual NFL fans.

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Man. When you guys from Detroit have to go too long without hockey you get all friggin' loopy.

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man. When you guys from Detroit have to go too long without hockey you get all friggin' loopy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even watch hockey. And I believe Hakim is no longer on the roster. These 3 are the best. Rogers just hasn't been able to showcase his vast talent due to injury and Williams was clearly better than Hakim. But Hakim was good. I hope he still is on the roster.

ttleistdci
04-24-2005, 01:02 AM
post this question again in about 5 years and we'll be able to answer.

tech
04-24-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Prediction: No team with Joey Harrington at QB ever wins anything.

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not his fault. It's the O-line. He played much better this year than his first two. If you check his stats on Yahoo sports you will see that he is improving every year. A dealer at Greektown who used to play QB in college told me that if Peytom Manning had the same O-line he would look like he sucked as well. Harrington is only averaging 2 seconds in the pocket because the whole line collapses almost instantly.

tech
04-24-2005, 01:30 AM
Harrington can't throw, seriously. Even when he has time, he is off on his throws -- behind the receiver, etc. Often it is just enough to make the WR break stride, meaning the difference between a 15 yd catch and a 75 yd TD. I really really think the Lions have a great young core and want to see them do well. But they have got to ditch Harrington -- he doesn't have it.

gvibes
04-24-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not his fault. It's the O-line.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you didn't upgrade the o-line. You drafted a WR.

You lost Stockar, and picked up Rick DeMulling. I'll be gracious, and call that a wash.

So, you have an LT who's light in the ass, a RG who definitely isn't light in the ass now that he got paid, a mediocre center, an unknown at LG, and no RT.

If Joey was marginal because of his O-line last year, he will probably be slightly worse this year.

And by the way, Roy Williams drops more easy passes than Braylon Edwards, and that's saying something. He's a drive killer.

EDIT: And did you see Peyton Manning's O-line last year. IIRC, by the end of the year, they were starting two rookies, something like a 6th rounder and an UDFA. Peyton still looked incredible, and never got sacked. Why? Because he reads the field faster than any QB playing now, and gets rid of the ball almost as quickly.

EDIT2: I may be wrong about the rookies starting for the Colts, but seriously, one of their starts was named Tupe Peko.

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 01:36 AM
You're right they didn't improve the O-line at all. But the sheer volume of WR talent alone will make the Lions a cinch to win the NFC north this year. Plus Garcia (a proven playoff QB) may replace Harrington this year if he isn't working out. If they could just get that O-line together then the Lions = Superbowl.

To be honest I was hoping the Lions would have drafted Derrick Johnson instead. Defense wins championships.

gvibes
04-24-2005, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't have minded the pick as much if you didn't have gaping holes at LB, S, and DE.

You could have taken Shawn Merriman at RDE or DJ@OLB (send Holmes to the woodchipper and move Lehman to the middle). Heck, Jamaal Brown, David Pollack, and Marcus Spears all would have been better picks. The fact that Hall can play both sides would have given you a lot of flexibility in choosing a DE.

You guys also are in dire of a safety (or two), but it's a bad year for safeties. Kenoy can hit, but that's it. Marion is prime woodchip material, and I hope you aren't pinning your future FS hopes on Holt.

I've been living in SE Michigan for too long. I know almost as much about the Lions as about my team.

J_V
04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Monk, Sanders, Clayton?

Moss, C. Carter, A. Carter?

MarkL444
04-24-2005, 03:43 AM
AC quit with all of your stupid projections/declarations.

The Lions may or may not have the greatest WR corp in the league today. (Assuming health) If they don't, then they are definately near the top and have a great chance to become something very special if they pan out well.

Regardless, this was one hell of a pick. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it's going to be trying to defend these three guys, and all the holes they are going to create for Kevin Jones. Also, having also picked up Kevin Johnson (meh) the offense will probably be able to get a lot of rest in for these guys which should be paying off late in games. I'm excited.

Vaughn
04-24-2005, 08:38 PM
The 70's Steelers would have to go down as the greatest of all-time with Hall-of-Famers lining up along each sideline.

Vaughn/DUI

Vaughn
04-24-2005, 08:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Vaughn/DUI

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I shouldn't have said all-time. I was just being dramatic. But certainly the best in the NFL today.

mmbt0ne
04-24-2005, 08:50 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Haha, not only have you not even listed the top three recievers in detroit, you now proclaim someone to be the heir to number 22. Go back to the field hockey forum, your just being a pest to actual NFL fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's awesome that you say all this, and then imply that he's either replacing Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders wore number 22.

BWebb
04-24-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I shouldn't have said all-time. I was just being dramatic. But certainly the best in the NFL today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me Harrison, Wayne and Stokley or Moss, Porter and Curry, or Holt, Bruce and whoever they want to put at #3.

Bulldog
04-24-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's awesome that you say all this, and then imply that he's either replacing Emmitt Smith, or Barry Sanders wore number 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many things wrong with this thread. The cake-taker is a Lions' fan getting Barry Sanders' number wrong.

Trios better than these three just in my recent memory:

Harrison/Wayne/Stokely
Givins/Hill/Jeffires
Johnson/Jackson/Nattiel
Monk/Clark/Sanders
Clayton/Duper/The Great Jim Jensen
Brown/Rice/Porter

I may have missed more.

Jeff W
04-24-2005, 09:15 PM
The three lions receivers have about combined 20 career NFL games and a little over 1,000 receiving yards. You don't think you're jumping the gun?

kerssens
04-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Right now I'd probably take Fitzgerald/Boldin/Johnson or any of the previously mentioned trios.

pudley4
04-24-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And they're all under 25

[/ QUOTE ]

retarded.

1980 Chargers - Jefferson, Joiner, Winslow. (Yes, Winslow was a TE, I don't care. And all 3 made the Pro Bowl that year.)

Rick Diesel
04-24-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they make a trade for a QB recently that I missed? They need someone to get those guys the ball!

Rick Diesel
04-24-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what about As Hakim? I would have to think he is probably at least the #2 reciever in detroit right now...

[/ QUOTE ]

The jokes just keep coming in this thread.

drewjustdrew
04-24-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many things wrong with this thread. The cake-taker is a Lions' fan getting Barry Sanders' number wrong.

Trios better than these three just in my recent memory:

Harrison/Wayne/Stokely
Givins/Hill/Jeffires
Johnson/Jackson/Nattiel
Monk/Clark/Sanders
Clayton/Duper/The Great Jim Jensen
Brown/Rice/Porter

I may have missed more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Jensen? Don't you mean Mark Moore?

Reed, Lofton, Beebe

The Lions current 3some will never exceed the Lions threesome of Herman Moore, Brett Perriman and Johnny Morton. It would be exciting to see these guys play a full season though. That's where the expectation should end.

david050173
04-24-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. His teams have come pretty close to winning the draft lottery.

drewjustdrew
04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know. His teams have come pretty close to winning the draft lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this was basketball. Lottery?

MarkL444
04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
This has been a very stupid thread.

MarkL444
04-24-2005, 10:37 PM
To all the idiots who responded to this thread with-
"omg but whos gonna throw them the ball omg lol"

Joey will get another shot, hes got no excuses this time. If that falls through we have Garcia. The QB situation is far from stellar, but it is not a problem. Saying they are the greatest ever is absurd, but the potential there is great, for whatever its worth. Lets wait and see.

ibankonu
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Way to get up my hopes with a detroit thread and then totally let me down by asking an asinine question.

A_C_Slater
04-24-2005, 10:52 PM
The Cardinals do have very good WR's, but they're the Cardinals , I mean really c'mon /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Okay, Okay they're the best WR trio in the NFC north? At least grant me that much.

ibankonu
04-24-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, Okay they're the best WR trio in the NFC north? At least grant me that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now, Green Bay is probably better, but we definitly have more upside, and could possibly even be better by season's end.

uw_madtown
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Cardinals do have very good WR's, but they're the Cardinals , I mean really c'mon /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

And you're the LIONS.

BTW, even if they all do well for their age and potential this year, they're still so young that they won't be the best WR corp of the year. They need at least 2 years to hit their stride, and who knows if they'll all be around 2-3 years from now.

Bulldog
04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

......Lions..Cardinals
2004 6-10 6-10
2003 5-11 4-12
2002 3-13 5-11
2001 2-14 7-9

drewjustdrew
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

......Lions..Cardinals
2004 6-10 6-10
2003 5-11 4-12
2002 3-13 5-11
2001 2-14 7-9

[/ QUOTE ]

His name is A_C_Slater. I mean really c'mon.

Cornell Fiji
04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I am a Lions fan but still think that you are wrong.

In fact, this isn't even the Lions best recieving corps in recent memory. I forget what year it was ('95?) but Moore&amp;Perriman set the record for combined yards by a WR and the lions later added Morton. 3 Pro Bowlers there and that was also with no QB or O-Line.

PS, someone referenced Barry by calling him #22. Its 20.

ucfryan
04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
No, and I don't know if they will ever be. They were all highly touted coming out of college (R.Williams and Charles Rodgers moreso), but with that being said there's going to be major problems when it comes to getting them all enough balls, which I'll assume will lead to chemistry problems and fighting.

This poll is retarded though, MW hasn't played a down, Charles has played in a game, and Roy had a pretty good rookie year, but Joey has still yet to show any consistency. Mooch is a very conservative playcaller too, that's something to keep in mind.

PokerFink
04-26-2005, 12:20 AM
First of all, the Lions WR corps has incredible potential. That's obvious. The problem is that a WR corps is only as good as a) the QB throwing to them, and b) the system they play in. The Lions are lacking in both areas, especially (a).

The Lions do not even have the best WR corps in the league today, let alone ever. The Colts clearly have a better WR group than the Lions. Perhaps the Lions recievers have more potential, but potential does not win games, production does. The Colts not only have talent at WR, but a far superior QB and system.

[ QUOTE ]
But the sheer volume of WR talent alone will make the Lions a cinch to win the NFC north this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incredibly retarted statement. See above.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take this action.

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Rogers--- 2003 Round 1, pick #2

Roy Williams ---- 2004 Round 1, pick #7

Mike Williams --- 2005 Round 1, pick #10

[/ QUOTE ]

So the draft location of a player is the best standard by which to rate their ability? Are you kidding me?

Freddie Mitchell - 1st round, 25th pick
Todd Pinkston - 2nd round, 5th pick
Terrell Owens - 3rd round, 28th pick

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. What about Jeff Garcia (pro bowl) throwing to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff Garcia is a productive QB in the right system. I don't think throwing Garcia into the Lions system will solve anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think Moss is by far the most talented receiver in the NFL. That being said, it's obvious that he just doesn't have the work ethic or the maturity to translate that into being the best overall receiver in the NFL.

Personally, that's why I like T.O. He talks an incredible amount of smack, but he backs it up week after week with a ridiculous work ethic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.

[ QUOTE ]
Peyton still looked incredible, and never got sacked. Why? Because he reads the field faster than any QB playing now, and gets rid of the ball almost as quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

A_C_Slater
04-26-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would take the McNabb throwing to the Eagles' recievers WITHOUT Owens over Harrington throwing to those guys.

Harrington blows, and nothing else matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerFink
04-26-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would take the McNabb throwing to the Eagles' recievers WITHOUT Owens over Harrington throwing to those guys.

Harrington blows, and nothing else matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't help much. Let me elaborate on my other post.

The Lions are trying to implement a standard, west-coast style offense that utlizes short and medium routes, as well as some deep balls. As such, they have drafted large, physical recievers that work well in this type of system. The problem is that Harrington is terrible in this system, because he does not read the field fast enough. He is also not accurate enough, as evidenced by high INT numbers (16/22/12, 3.3% INT for career). This also shows he throws a lot of balls that have no hope. 3.3% is bad. McNabb, who is considered to be inaccurate, is only 2.2% for his career, and was 1.7% this past year.

Garcia won't solve this problem. He might help a little, because Garcia has more mobility in the pocket, which could help buy some time when Harrington would have just taken the sack. Garcia's skillset is suited to a system where he can move around, improvise, and run if he has to. I watched a lot of 49ers games back when Garcia played for them, and the thing I consistantly noticed was how Mariucci mis-used the talent on that offense. They ran a lot of short scatter routes that require the QB to read the D and make a quick throw; Garcia simply could not do this. I doubt that Mariucci will use Garcia correctly now.

I don't think plugging Garcia into the Lions current system will help much.