PDA

View Full Version : Death penalty poll

ACPlayer
04-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Assume you have been convicted of a crime and been awarded the death penalty. The Governor of the state you are in says he will pardon you but you must agree to life term of solitary confinement, no possibility of parole and that you will have access to nothing except food and water. You must also agree to never appeal to change this or its is back to the death penalty.

partygirluk
04-23-2005, 11:54 PM
This is probably more apt in OOT that OOP, but I wouldn't like to live a life like that. I hate needles though, would prefer death by firing squad /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ACPlayer
04-24-2005, 12:01 AM
We have been talking about punishment role of the DP in some of these threads. So, I thought this is the better forum.

The Dude
04-24-2005, 01:34 AM
I voted to accept life in solitary, although I can't be sure that 2+ years into my sentence I'd change my mind.

vulturesrow
04-24-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted to accept life in solitary, although I can't be sure that 2+ years into my sentence I'd change my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you would change your mind. One thing I learned in survival training is that solitary confinement is a very effective means of breaking a person down. Thats why the various methods of commnication that the POWs developed in the Vietnam war were so vital.

player24
04-24-2005, 10:37 AM
I would imagine that many people would, immediately after being convicted, choose death over life without the possibility of parole, even without the solitary confinement stipulation. This is the reason why the recently incarcerated are often put under suicide watch.

For a convict facing life without parole, I imagine that the urge to committ suicide will subside with time (as the person adjusts to their fate). Although I would imagine that the urge to committ suicide would probably increase for those kept in solitary confinement (because it is such a brutal form of punishment).

Starrkitty
04-24-2005, 06:47 PM
No books. No TV. No computer. Never talking to anyone. Just left alone with my own thoughts and staring at four walls that would seem to keep getting closer and closer. No thanks.

Solitary confinement for life would be a punishment worse than death especially if there was no hope for appeal.