PDA

View Full Version : Playing TT post flop

dfscott
04-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Tens are my favorite hand, but I think I might've been a little tentative here. However, I had a lot of company, so I was a bit jumpy when the turn Ace came.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t665)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t1045)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t730)</font>
CO (t730)
Button (t720)
SB (t2090)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t570)</font>
UTG (t680)
UTG+1 (t770)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t30</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB calls t20, BB calls t15, UTG calls t15.

Flop: (t180) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t175, UTG folds, MP2 calls t120.

Turn: (t705) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t705) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

dfscott
04-24-2005, 03:28 PM
hmm... ok, one bump

tjh
04-24-2005, 03:40 PM
I am not an expert but am I out of line when I suggest that he bets the turn? Also barring a bet on the turn there seems to be a standard line of reasoning that if the flop comes A-10-3 and it is checked once around then you can assume that your middle pair is good. So if the A was checked you have to assume that your tens are good. I know that means betting the river, but I feel like you have the best hand unless a flush was made by the villain.

I am almost proposing a bet on the river.

Am I crazy ?

pooh74
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
I like your line here and maybe its weak but I wouldnt want to open up this betting. One had a 5 and missed his straight, but the guy with an A maybe waiting to call your bet bc you raised...I think checking behind is fine...if someone has an underpair, hit the 9 7 etc... I doubt theyll call it, and the A will call for sure (obviously str8s and flushes too)

Blarg
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I think a bet on the turned ace is fine, since it was checked to you, and your not betting signifies that you don't have an ace, which means your opponent can pretty freely bet on the river and automatically pick up the pot, unless he's faced with a big scare card on the river somehow.

So betting the turn would be useful, but also expose you to quite a few risks. The first of course is simply a checkraise by someone holding an ace, and how much you discount that is up to you. The second is that you're betting into a board with both straight and flush possibilities, and while neither are all that likely, the monsters under the bed are starting to feel a little crowded down there. Finally, the problem when you have one card to go and your pair is only 10's is that you're still in quite a fair amount of danger from someone who will call with overcards or with any pair hoping to spike a second pair on the river.

So there an awful lot of ways to get killed on the river, and it will be just about impossible to tell if villain's river bet after your turn check will be anything from a busted draw with only useless low cards to the nut flush or straight, two pair, trips, or a pair higher than 10's.

If you feel you're going to defend the river no matter what comes, then you might as well make a turn bet and see if you can represent an ace. If you feel the river may well bring up a card that would have you folding if bet into(and there seems to be many possible candidates for that card), or may have you folding if check-raised, then checking along on the turn might be fine.

I basically don't like this flop and turn for you much; it seems to be leaving you with a little of every kind of danger. Checking the turn may lose you the pot, but it strikes me as okay in this instance because you have so many other ways to lose it anyway on the next card, and you may already be behind anyway.