PDA

View Full Version : Lower calling/pushing standards #1 -- Spite push?

Blarg
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Sure, this hand shows some lower pushing standards as well as calling standards, but I thought it was just an interestingly silly example of how someone can have both -- and maybe be doing something similar to what was referred to in another thread as a spite call -- a spite push.

I thought both the call and the push were extraordinary, and lots of threads lately are talking about how much more calling people in the low level SNG's are seeing lately. I'm seeing it too. See for yourself, as follows.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t865)
MP1 (t1300)
MP2 (t495)
MP3 (t740)
CO (t760)
Button (t760)
SB (t725)
BB (t785)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t770)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t65</font>, Hero calls t50, MP2 is all-in, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls t430, Hero folds.

Flop: (t602.50) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t602.50) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t602.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t602.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has As Js (two pair, jacks and sevens).
MP2 has Qc Th (two pair, queens and sevens).
Outcome: MP2 wins t602.50. </font>

p0t_Commit3d
04-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Hmmm. I dont understand exactly what is so bad other then them position. The AJ call was horrible IMO. The QT call was iffy but still bad because of position.

The pushes I have seen in this game are absolutly ridiculous. 99 is good, but so many of you will push with so much worse.

I have read that its all about stealing stealing stealing. But the game conditions change, and this game is moving towards a more call game. Poker has trends just that same as any sport. Tennis changed from a finesse game to a serve only game.

Think about it. If your opponent is willing to push with alnost any two short satcked then you should be calling him down with any 2 paint cards. You will get ousted by AK and the like from time to time, but you will be up against trash most of the time. Not to mention too often you are pot commited with the BB... Never mind, I am getting ahead of my own thoughts here..

I aggree with you that the calls are bad here, but either one of those hands could call you by themselves in the BB with no other action.

This has been the tokepost of the day. brought to you by p0t Commit3d!

Blarg
04-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm not really thinking about my own play here; anyone can correct me if they feel I'm wrong, but I felt quite satisfied with it. What struck me was MP2's play.

MP2's original limp was pretty bad both by virtue of the cards themselves and because of position. Merely calling the 50 raise was bad, and going all in with that junk seems to me even worse. Remember we're still in round 1 here and the BB is only 15. Even though MP2's stack isn't huge, it seems he could easily find a better time to risk the tourney than this.

Seems to me this guy went from too loose limping standards directly to too loose suicide standards, probably acting mostly on emotion and a desire to gamble it up.