PDA

View Full Version : NL Hold'em Tournaments

PokerProdigy
04-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I have recently decided to just focus on NLHE tourneys for now, instead of just trying to play limit hold'em ring games.

I wanted to know what are some good books I should read to take my NLHE tourney game to the next level? What are the best tournaments to play in? Single table, multi-table, etc? Also, what does a good NLHE tourney player, expect to make? (I understand this last question is general and will vary greatly, but I am just looking for an estimate or what some of you guys have made per tourney or per hour, and how many tourneys you have (aka your sample size))

Jbrochu
04-24-2005, 12:07 PM
In my opinion and many others who post here, Harrington on Hold'em is the book to choose if you can only read just one tournament book. I don't see many other posters recommending TJ Cloutiers books, but I found them to be worthwhile also.

I also got a lot out of Supersystem. Just be careful, the strategy in Supersystem is not tournament strategy. Just use the section on NL play to open your mind up to new ways about thinking of how to play certain hole cards.

I think you need to play both STT and MTT. Without playing STTs, you will be at a disadvantage at shorthanded tables and when you start to make final tables. A good compromise is to play the two table tournaments at Stars. (I'm guessing other sites also have two table tournaments.)

Regarding ROI - I cannot help you here. My play is about breakeven, but I've only been playing poker for 4 months now. I would be a positive ROI player at STT, but I keep trying to move up levels, and also use the money I win at STTs to pay for my MTTs. My main focus is learning though, not making money. Just know that varience at MTTs is huge, even for very good players.

BTW - there are tons of other posts out there regarding books, and I think a review section on 2+2.

Good luck.