PDA

View Full Version : Sideways. And a question

bernie
04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
I just saw this flick last night. It was alright. Had some good parts. Im not a wine drinker but it made me want to go on a winetasting trip. However, there was one ongoing thread in the movie that bugged me. It's a situation that will always bug me. A big peeve of mine.

Lying (or being asked to lie) for a (good) friend who is cheating on his wife/g:f. I despise this. How good is a friend who puts you in that position, then would blame you if word gets out when it's their own fault in the first place? Note: We are not talking about an open relationship here.

A bud of mine once invited me to Canada for his Fantasy FB leagues bowl game. Except he told me some of what happens. Some of his friends like to take off their wedding rings and have a little fun. The motto being what happens up there stays up there. Knowing my bud, I know he doesn't partake in that, but I did ask him just how great these guys are and why he'd tolerate that. I declined the offer. The thought of being associated with that was disgusting to me.

In watching this flick I found I had to constantly look past this in many scenes. I rather enjoyed the 'bashing' scene.

Has anyone been put in this position and if so, how did you handle it? Is it really that easy for some to look past this when a bud pulls this? Do you call them on it or let them off easily?

Just wondering.

b

The Dude
04-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't think Paul Giomatti's character was ever comfortable with it, nor do I think the movie portayed said behavior in a good light. It was pretty easy to see that the writer of this film views that as a character flaw, not something he's trying to encourage.

I really enjoyed the movie, although I have no interest whatsoever in wine.

bernie
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Paul Giomatti's character was ever comfortable with it, nor do I think the movie portayed said behavior in a good light. It was pretty easy to see that the writer of this film views that as a character flaw, not something he's trying to encourage

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree they weren't glamorizing it in any way. It's my own (strong) personal feelings on the matter that comes up when I see this type of thing in a flick.

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoyed the movie,

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a well written movie. Well acted also, for the most part. Hayden church isn't exactly an emmy or academy winner, but the other actors were great.

[ QUOTE ]
although I have no interest whatsoever in wine

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Miya's description of tasting wine and all she thinks about when she's tasting it (on the back porch with giomatti while the other guy is getting laid inside) was very interesting. I never really thought of it that way. That deeply. To where you think of what was happening during that year, or how, depending on when you open it, it's taste is unique to that moment. That scene alone made me want to try some wines.

b

gamblore99
04-23-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Miya's description of tasting wine and all she thinks about when she's tasting it (on the back porch with giomatti while the other guy is getting laid inside) was very interesting. I never really thought of it that way. That deeply. To where you think of what was happening during that year, or how, depending on when you open it, it's taste is unique to that moment. That scene alone made me want to try some wines.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post makes me want to try some wines

bernie
04-23-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post makes me want to try some wines

[/ QUOTE ]

That whole scene was great. Even Giomatti description as to why he likes Pinot Noir more than other wines.

b

jakethebake
04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
The friend was ajerk

I saw this night too. Good movie, but I'd heard too much about how great it was so I was a little let down.

SackUp
04-23-2005, 09:46 PM
HA, I just watched it last night as well. I thought it was decent, but didn't live up to the hype for me.

I wish the character who was getting married would have gotten [censored] in the end. run over by a truck or something.

bernie
04-23-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The friend was ajerk

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he was. However, on the better side, he was trying to help the other guy loosen up and not be depressed.

[ QUOTE ]
but I'd heard too much about how great it was so I was a little let down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard alot about it too. But nothing specific, just that it was good. I think it was easily worth the rental.

b

jakethebake
04-23-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it was easily worth the rental.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

J_V
04-24-2005, 02:09 AM
Sideways was the most disappointing movie of the year. I hope I spelled disappointing right, because I came in second in the 8th grade spelling bee because of that. Total choke job. Dis-appoint. Pretty easy. Anyway, the guy trying to get laid carried the movie. I thought Paul Giamatti's character was repulsively annoying.

Cheating on your significant other is disgusting and I would never associate myself with someone who partook .

fluxrad
04-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Great movie.

You can keep quiet for a friend, but you can't lie for one.