PDA

View Full Version : weight lifters

boedeker
04-23-2005, 09:00 PM
okay so summer is getting near and its time to shed excess winter insulation.

so i decided to and weight training to this years plan. this is the first time i have started lifting weights since high school.

so my first work-out was thursday, and now saturday night. im mostly not sore anymore. EXCEPT. my triceps right near the area about 3 inches from the elbow. and they hurt something feirce.

what are the odds that i hurt something. when should i go to a doctor?

Brainwalter
04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I don't think you hurt anything.

The Dude
04-23-2005, 09:04 PM
If they still hurt in 4 days, then worry about it. You should always go very easy your first week back in the gym (basically just go through the motions with minimal weight resistence). The second week should also be fairly light. Don't try to really push yourself until the 3rd week.

EliteNinja
04-23-2005, 09:12 PM
If you want to shed some insulation, weightlifting doesn't help as much as aerobic exercises like running, cycling, etc.

It would be good to mix it up with some aerobic exercises too.

Matty
04-23-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to shed some insulation, weightlifting doesn't help as much as aerobic exercises like running, cycling, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]Once you get some muscle mass just the effort of carrying it around will burn off some fat and give you some aerobic excercise.

Especially if your school is comprised of tall buildings like mine is.

bisonbison
04-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Besides, obsessing about how cool you look with post-lift muscle swelling is pretty much what keeps you coming back.

JaBlue
04-23-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah

jakethebake
04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
You probably didn't hurt anything. I don't know what your workout looks like, but the small muscles are easy to overwork, especially if you worked them by themselves in addition to say benchpressing or other lifts that work them peripherally as well.

boedeker
04-23-2005, 09:28 PM
the reason im adding weight training is i want to bring the muscles up at the same time as i bring the fat down. im defintitely excercising.

ok well ill give a couple more days. i definitely worked them seperately as well as with bench press.

ceyoung
04-23-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the reason im adding weight training is i want to bring the muscles up at the same time as i bring the fat down. im defintitely excercising.

ok well ill give a couple more days. i definitely worked them seperately as well as with bench press.

[/ QUOTE ]

gaining muscle mass and losing fat are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Matty
04-23-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That doesn't sound right at all. In the past month and a half I've nearly doubled my bench weight, and turned a little pot belly into an eight-pack.

Edit: with no aerobic excercise whatsoever.

ceyoung
04-23-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That doesn't sound right at all. In the past month and a half I've nearly doubled my bench weight, and turned a little pot belly into an eight-pack.

Edit: with no aerobic excercise whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

steroids don't count.

SackUp
04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
If you doubled your bench then you are either juicing or you started out at like 45lbs and are now up to 100lb. You just can't double your bench in a month w/o some help or a rather low starting point.

Also you can lose fat by lifting alone but you need to have a rather intense workout. Doing stations or just short time b/w lifts can do it as it is almost like a cardio workout added in.

I do recommend doing cardio on top of lifting though.

Matty
04-23-2005, 09:54 PM
I said nearly doubled, and a month and a half. I went from about 140 to 230, no supplements, just lean cuisine, bananas, soy milk, subway, and cereal mostly. I do reps whenever I need to rest my eyes from poker, and it isn't really that extreme of a workout.

cookie
04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
If you eat more calories than you use, then you gain weight

If you eat less calories than you use, then you lose weight

And it is that simple, what you eat are more important than wether you add 15 minutes of cardio to your workout.

Cutting(losing fat) and bulking(gaining musclemass) can't be done at the same time, unless some very serious food planing are involved, because you cant be eating more calories than you use while eating less calories than you use.

To the OP.
Agree with th eothers, give it some time. Did you do something at the workout that you might suggest to be th ereason for an injury? Or is it just plain old DOMS ?