PDA

View Full Version : Jack and Nine: Blind vs. Blind

Sweaburg
04-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Villain here is okay but not great. I don't have many hands with this guy but he's played pretty ABC in the half dozen or so hands I've seen him play. I have yet to enter a pot with him and I've been getting a cold run of cards and probably look pretty rockish.

UB 5/10 6max 5 handed
Folded to me in SB with J9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I raise BB calls and the flop comes:

J/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/spade.gif6/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Bet, raise, 3 bet, cap.

4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Bet, call.

K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check and call his bet.

Cap on flop seems like a no brainer to me. Right or wrong?

Turn, I bet because I hate to give a free card to a lone spade. Would a c/r be o.k here against a more agg. player?

River, the K is not the worst card that could have fallen but it seems like a card that could have made him a better two pair. Who bets this river and if you do do you call a raise?

Thanks,
Sweaburg

Brom
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I agree with your turn bet. It would be a shame if he capped it on the flop in order to take a free card on the turn for his flush draw. I'd maybe checkraise an aggressive ABC player on the turn, though not very often. If he were trickier, then I don't like a check raise as much because it could prove to be a very volatile move. Betting out is the better move IMO.

I vote for a river bet here too. There are plenty of worse hands to call you here, and maybe even raise you. I think that if he had a decently high flush, he'd raise the turn. If he had such a low flush that he didn't raise the turn, then he is unlikely to raise the river either. I'd think that he has a hand more like Q/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or A/images/graemlins/spade.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif. Obviously you can't beat that straight hand if that is indeed what he had, but you showed so much strength by betting out on the turn after his flop cap that he will be reluctant to raise the river some of the time. If he had a hand like the second one, then he is likely to call with it more than he would bet, so you have to bet into it.

If he is a total unknown, then you are going to have to call a river raise too. But if you have any read on him at all, you should be able to discern his river raising habits. I just of thought fact that he could've also possibly had the nut flush and waited until the river to raise (a bad line IMO). Either way you have to know how tight his river raising standards are before you go calling every time.

tongni
04-23-2005, 08:22 PM
A spade + a pair will cap this flop, the lone ace of spades, top pair, and any sort of weaker two pair. You really need to bet the river and call a raise.