PDA

View Full Version : 2005 NBA Playoffs

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Sixers got killed by the Pistons in game 1 earlier today. Mavs getting killed by the Rockets right now in game 1. T-Mac is going nuts as expected, lets see if they can put it away in the second half.

My first round predictions:
Mavs beat Rockets in 6
Nuggest beat Spurs in 7 (!)
Sonics beat Kings in 5
Suns sweep Grizzlies

Pistons beat Sixers in 5
Celtics beat Pacers in 6
Wizards beat Bulls in 6
Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

Gonna be fun to see how everything plays out.

[censored]
04-23-2005, 06:43 PM
I'll take the Wizards as the only upset, with the rest of the top seeds winning.

IronDragon1
04-23-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm all for being devil's advocate and such but now you're just being crazy.

kerssens
04-23-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm all for being devil's advocate and such but now you're just being crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that too...still wouldn't mind seeing Jersey win because it would make Stephen A. Smith look like a fool.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Rockets beat Mavs in 6
Nuggest beat Spurs in 6
Sonics beat Kings in 5
Suns beat Grizzlies in 5

Pistons sweep 76ers
Celtics beat Pacers in 5
Wizards beat Bulls in 7
Heat beat Nets in 6

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 06:52 PM
lol yeah I know its out there, but both are possible, and you'll all be telling me what a genius I am if either of them happens. +EV.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that too...still wouldn't mind seeing Jersey win because it would make Stephen A. Smith look like a fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steven A does it for himself.

Vince Young
04-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Rockets > Mavs
Spurs > Nuggets
Sonics > Kings
Suns > Grizzlies

Pistons > 76ers
Pacers > Celtics
Bulls > Wizards
Heat > Nets

Spurs > Sonics (could be a sweep)
Rockets > Suns

Heat > Bulls
Pistons > Pacers

Spurs > Rockets
Pistons > Heat

Spurs > Pistons

kerssens
04-23-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Steven A does it for himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna edit my post to add a comment like this.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Agreed. Steven A. pisses me off.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take the Wizards as the only upset, with the rest of the top seeds winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denver will win. Guaranteed

Vince Young
04-23-2005, 07:00 PM
No. They win 1 game if they're lucky.

holeplug
04-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Should have some good first round matches this year. Duncan and Shaq's health will determine so much though so its hard to predict what will happen.

Suns over Grizzlies in 4
Spurs over Nuggets in 6
Sonics over Kings in 5
Mavs over Rockets in 6

Heat over Nets in 6
Pistons over Sixers in 5
Celtics over Pacers in 7
Wizards over Bulls in 6

tbach24
04-23-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked your bracket too. And add this and I have to ask, do you even follow the NBA?

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nuggest beat Spurs in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Nuggets have the best chance at a real upset in the first round (they match up well with the Spurs, Duncan isn't 100%, George Karl has them playing insanely well lately), but saying they'll beat the Spurs in less than 7 is stretching it a bit. Could happen though.

[ QUOTE ]
Pistons sweep 76ers

[/ QUOTE ]

I give the Sixers at least one game. I think they missed their best chance to steal one today, but I give them one at home. AI will play great every game, and the role-players (Webber included) will come together for one good game. That should be about it though.

holeplug
04-23-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nuggest beat Spurs in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Nuggets have the best chance at a real upset in the first round (they match up well with the Spurs, Duncan isn't 100%, George Karl has them playing insanely well lately), but saying they'll beat the Spurs in less than 7 is stretching it a bit. Could happen though.

[ QUOTE ]
Pistons sweep 76ers

[/ QUOTE ]

I give the Sixers at least one game. I think they missed their best chance to steal one today, but I give them one at home. AI will play great every game, and the role-players (Webber included) will come together for one good game. That should be about it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iverson will go for 50pts one night and the Pistons will miss like 15 free throws or something and they will win by 2. Basically like the Miami game a week ago. But they have no chance to ever win this series.

[censored]
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that?

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rockets > Mavs
Spurs > Nuggets
Sonics > Kings
Suns > Grizzlies

Pistons > 76ers
Pacers > Celtics
Bulls > Wizards
Heat > Nets

Spurs > Sonics (could be a sweep)
Rockets > Suns

Heat > Bulls
Pistons > Pacers

Spurs > Rockets
Pistons > Heat

Spurs > Pistons

[/ QUOTE ]

Rockets over Suns? I doubt the Spurs will sweep the Sonics either. Too much Texas pride in this bracket...

tbach24
04-23-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hottest team in the NBA. Deep, deep bench. Carmelo is playing well. A couple good big men. A barely healthy Duncan.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nuggest beat Spurs in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Pistons sweep 76ers

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Detroit plays defense too well to let AI takeover. Chauncey is a great, great player. I still can't get over how he was a Celtic for that short time. I'm hoping that Ainge won't make the same mistake with Banks that (insert old Celts GM) made with Billups that

Dead
04-23-2005, 07:18 PM
I hope that Carmelo and the Nuggets beat the Spurs, for obvious reasons(:p), but I just don't see it happening.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:19 PM
McGrady has been all but unstoppable so far. I don't think people realize just how good he can be when he puts out maximum effort. The guy is just incredible. Mavs making a comeback at the end of the third now at the freethrow line. Yao called for 4 stupid fouls already.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope that Carmelo and the Nuggets beat the Spurs, for obvious reasons(:p), but I just don't see it happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone underrating the Nuggets doesn't follow the NBA

<font color="white"> TJ SORRENTINE!!! </font>

Dead
04-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I am not underrating them. I think that the Nuggets are a great team, and a lot of that has to do with Melo. They definitely wouldn't have made the playoffs without him last year or this year.

But I think that the Spurs are too much for them to handle.

I think that the Spurs will win the whole thing.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree that the Spurs are probably the best team in the tourney, with the best chance to win the whole thing... However, I think their biggest challenges on the road to the championship are going to be Denver, Phoenix, and whoever wins the East. Duncan is the key to the Spurs' success, so his health is really going to be the biggest factor in how far they make it. As the playoffs go on, Duncan's health will improve, so whoever faces the Spurs first, when he is at his weakest, will have the best chance to knock them out. I think if the Spurs get away from the Nuggets, they'll coast to the championship.

Dead
04-23-2005, 07:31 PM
What gives the Spurs the best chance is that they are team players. The rest of the teams in the West(save for the Suns, somewhat) rely on 1 or 2 people for the majority of the offense. The Spurs spread it out to everyone. They are similar to the Suns in that respect, but the Spurs are so fantastic defensively.

I would love to see a Spurs-Pistons finals.

kerssens
04-23-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see a Spurs-Pistons finals.

[/ QUOTE ]

First to 80 wins.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:40 PM
The Spurs do spread it out well, but they are not good enough without Duncan to beat the Nuggets. With Duncan at 100%, the Nuggets don't stand a chance. He's somewhere in between, so it's a tossup.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, A Spurs Pistons game might get pretty boring. Does anyone remember that weekend last year when we had that Lakers/Spurs game with like three game winning shots in the last 19 seconds (culminating with Fischer's .4 second miracle), and then the Nets/Pistons triple-overtime madness (including a half court bankshot at the buzzer from Chauncey Bullups) the next night. I've never yelled "oh my [censored] god!" so much in my life. My roomates thought I was crazy. I don't think the excitement of last year's playoffs can possibly be topped, but I'm hoping. I'm excited for some of these matchups.

tinga81
04-23-2005, 07:49 PM
For everyone picking the Wizards over the Bulls, I just don't see it happening.

The Bulls may not be the Bulls of old, but they've shown a lot of improvement over this season. They started off the season 0-9, but overcame all the critics and showed that they have the playoff potential. They surprised the heck out of the people of Chicago, and I think they're going to turn a few heads in the playoffs.

Yes, I am a Bulls fan, and I went through all the garbage of the past 7 seasons. Maybe they won't go all the way, but damn I'm proud of them. They're still a young team, and it only leaves good to come for the next few seasons.

tbach24
04-23-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For everyone picking the Wizards over the Bulls, I just don't see it happening.

The Bulls may not be the Bulls of old, but they've shown a lot of improvement over this season. They started off the season 0-9, but overcame all the critics and showed that they have the playoff potential. They surprised the heck out of the people of Chicago, and I think they're going to turn a few heads in the playoffs.

Yes, I am a Bulls fan, and I went through all the garbage of the past 7 seasons. Maybe they won't go all the way, but damn I'm proud of them. They're still a young team, and it only leaves good to come for the next few seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I need to say: Eddy Curry

istewart
04-23-2005, 07:52 PM
The Pistons are tiresome. I would rather see anyone reach the Finals but them. In the past I would say the same for the Spurs, but this year they've turned into an interesting team to watch.

tinga81
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I need to say: Eddy Curry

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Curry was a big loss. They have shown they can win without him.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 07:56 PM
I think the Bulls are a good sleeper pick for the first round. They've got a good chance, but with their injuries, you can't possibly paint them as a favorite. Same deal for the Pacers.

istewart
04-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Dikembe Mutombo should die. God I hate him.

AngryCola
04-23-2005, 08:26 PM
I will be shocked if the Rockets make it out of the first round.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure I'd be shocked, they played a great game today, with minimal contribution from Yao. McGrady probably didn't have his best game of the series yet either. Dirk will of course play better than he did today. I think it will be close, big win for the Rockets today though.

Schneids
04-23-2005, 08:39 PM
All you guys are forgetting about the Wolves. Wolves in 6.

[censored]
04-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Entirely based on injuries, not out of disrespect to the Bulls.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Back in the playoffs in six years? Probably /images/graemlins/grin.gif

&lt;-- Knicks fan, shouldn't talk.

Phoenix1010
04-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Pacers are getting hammered...

tbach24
04-23-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pacers are getting hammered...

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Marcus, Al and Ricky.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Well Saturday's games were kind of boring until the end. Bunch of allstar chokes: Jermaine O'neal, Dirk Nowitzki, and Mike Bibby all had subpar performances, especially Bibby. Hopefully, they'll all bounce back for game 2 so it will be more interesting.

The Sixers got 27 points from Webber and still couldn't steal game 1, which does not bode well for their chances of not getting swept. I'm betting that they'll have some extra lift at home though.

Cuttino Mobley went nuts in the fourth quarter (or as the annoying announcer constantly called it, "the money quarter") in the Sonics/Kings game last night. It's awesome to see a player get that fire in his eyes and just put his team on his back and take over the game, especially when it's someone you don't expect. Too bad Mike Bibby left his heart at home.

The Nets lead at halftime earlier today, but the Heat have taken over. Nets have been making small runs but they haven't been able to cut it to ten in a while. Richard Jefferson hasn't really been a factor, as expected. The game is pretty much over at this point.

Suns and Grizz play later tonight, I predict a massive blowout.

ThaSaltCracka
04-24-2005, 06:01 PM
IIRC, the Sonics either won the regular season series or tied the regular season series with San Antonio this year. ANd nearly every game had Duncan playing.

ThaSaltCracka
04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
dude, I was at the Sonics/Queens game. Horrible officiating, and Cutino did go off.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Denver takes the lead with one of K-Mart's angry dunks. Still early though. Both teams look a little disorganized on offense.

Vince Young
04-24-2005, 09:08 PM
They split it, but the Spurs dominated in the last 2 meetings, one without Duncan. I don't think they'll sweep but I wouldn't be surprised by that or a 4-1 win.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They split it, but the Spurs dominated in the last 2 meetings, one without Duncan. I don't think they'll sweep but I wouldn't be surprised by that or a 4-1 win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this won't happen as the Nuggets will beat the Spurs.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Spurs are getting ready to pull away here.

Vince Young
04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
$10 bet? Straight up?

tbach24
04-24-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$10 bet? Straight up?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not a large enough edge for me to take. HCA is too big. I still think Denver will take it though.

Vince Young
04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Ah, ok.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
THE BANK IS OPEN! Tie ball game at the half. I love buzzer beaters man.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Bulls also took game 1 today, for anyone who missed it. Gordon was unstoppable, I might have to reverse my prediction for that series.

tbach24
04-24-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bulls also took game 1 today, for anyone who missed it. Gordon was unstoppable, I might have to reverse my prediction for that series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gilbert was 3-19. Good defense, bad shot selection, or both?

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't say it was all defense. I didn't watch the whole game but from what I saw it looked like they were just missing shots they could be making. Playoff pressure probably played a big part.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Tie ball game Spurs/Nugs. Five to go in the fourth. Good game going on here. Watch it.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Andre Miller is choking pretty badly here.

Phoenix1010
04-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Denver up by 2 with a minute and a half left in regulation. I'd like to point out that I have the Nuggets winning this series.

Vince Young
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Wow. Total collapse.

holeplug
04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Duncan looked really bad tonight. Spurs are in for a dog fight.

Phoenix1010
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Pacers tied up the series 1-1 in a really ugly game tonight. The announcers were all over Reggie Miller's balls for most of the game, but he earned it, great game for the old guy. This is probably my favorite first round series. The Celtics have a really good team this year, I think they're one solid big man and a good head coach away from being the best team in the East. And the Pacers would be the best team in the league if they had their whole roster available. Right now, Indi has one hurt big guy and one fading old timer as their go-to guys, against all of Boston's big guns. It's heart against talent. Great series so far.

And for those who missed it, Tracy McGrady just absolutely posterized Sean Bradley. Wow. Sickest dunk of the playoffs so far. It will be all over Sports Center. Rooting for the underdog Rockets to take this series, even though it goes against my predictions.

[censored]
04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Big game for the Mavs tonight. I think Houston may be the true sleeper in the West as most people have figured out Denver is legit and much better than their record (caused by slow start) would lead you to believe.

Phoenix1010
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah, Rockets are really showing up. Nice that T-Mac is finally playing to his full potential. Even if Mavs lose this game it's not over though, Mavs have second best road record in the league. They're going to have to dig a little deeper than they are to win this series though.

[censored]
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
No not over, but Dallas would certainly be in trouble.

Yao and McGrady look like that are clicking tonight. And if Barry continues to shoot the lights out, Dallas has very little chance this game.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Great game: Houston by 2 with 26.4 left.

McGrady has come up huge tonight along with the Houston supporting cast. Yao has also played well.

If Dallas doesn't pull something out here, they will be in quite a hole.

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Dallas is f'ed.

Houston has this series.

I think that they will sweep now.

[censored]
04-26-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dallas is f'ed.

Houston has this series.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you of all people would realize the absurdness of statements like that.

I doubt we will hear McGrady talking about being in the second round tomorrow.

Dead
04-26-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't expect that.

I'm just giving my opinion.

I didn't make a prediction on this series because these are two very good teams, and they are very evenly matched imo. It's a lot like the Bulls-Wizards series in terms of closeness.

But there is no doubt that Dallas is at a huge disadvantage right now.

holeplug
04-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Well the Rockets sure surprised me tonight.

wonderwes
04-26-2005, 03:14 AM
T-mac trade for Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley is paying off huge.

I bet on each game of the series with 2 of my Mavericks friends so now I am up 2 games. Is a sweep possible? I got to attend Saturday's game and was all alone wearing my rockets gear. Yao Ming needs to play like this on a consistent basis.

Phoenix1010
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
T-mac trade for Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley is paying off huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great topic. The big trade was hyped up so much that when the Rockets had a mediocre start everyone seemed to give up on it immediately. Conversely, the Magic got off to a decent start and everyone was talking about how great a trade it was for them. Look at the two teams now. The Rockets have 2-0 lead in the playoffs and the Magic are watching the games at home. I know the results are skewed a bit by Grant Hill's resurgence and then reinjury and the midseason trade of Cutino Mobley (which I think was horrible), but there's no way you can argue that the Magic got the best of the trade now. Some moves take a little bit longer to pan out than others, people are too quick to judge some of these things. Almost the exact same thing applies to the Nuggets this year. Everyone went crazy over the trade for K-Mart, then cursed the team when they started out poorly. They're one of the best teams in the league right now, and almost favored for an upset. I love how assumptions can be broken and reaffirmed over the course of a season, and it all culminates now.

That Rockets game was indeed awesome last night.

Intense game going on right now between Jersey and Miami. I like how Jersey is playing right now, despite the fact they're down. Kidd isn't rotating off of Damon Jones to help down low, no wide open shot for DJ = not many points for DJ. Now they just have to get some offensive rhythm going.

Phoenix1010
04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Nenad Krstic has missed at least two easy dunks/layups where he got fouled. Throwing points away. Nets can't win without a big man who can put it down. Nets are getting nothing on offense, and poor defensive rebounding. Refs missed a loose ball foul on Haslem when 'Zo made that three point play, bad no-call, cost Jersey three points. Heat up 11 at halftime.

Non_Comformist
04-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Alonzo Mourning is coming up huge tonight. Good to see. If he be productive it would be huge for Miami.

Phoenix1010
04-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah He's made a huge difference. If he and Damon Jones are going to play like this every day I really don't see who can challenge them. The Nets certainly don't look like a worthy competitor right now. They're looking like a big disgrace, but I still have them winning at least one at home.

The Pistons/Heat series is going to be really interesting. Are this year's Heat better than last year's Lakers? Big question. You can argue forever about Wade vs' Kobe, but the role players are really interesting matchups. Is Zo a worthy substitute for Malone? Damon Jones seems to be really similar to Derek Fischer, but Fischer never became the reliable consistent shooter that Jones seems to be. What I don't like is that the Heat don't have an experienced clutch player who's going to make all the right plays when the chips are down, an X-factor like Robert Horry or Gary Payton. I predict that this team's lack of experience is going to doom them in one of the big series', but it looks like they're going to sail smoothly to the conference finals.

___SK___
04-26-2005, 10:34 PM
just some tidbits for ya. the spurs lost both game 1s of the first round on their way to both their titles. they also lost game 1 against dallas two years ago in the WCF.

Phoenix1010
04-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I would just like to say that Nenad Krstic is going on my list of players I hate with every fiber of my being and wish life failure upon. He joins Keith Van Horn.

Phoenix1010
04-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Spurs are absolutely killing the Nuggets right now in game 2. It seems whoever said that the Spurs always lose game 1 on their way to the championship was being prophetic...

The Sixers were demoralized again in game 2 yesterday, that series is all but over. Same deal with the Kings, they've just given up it seems.

Right Houston/Dallas and Indiana/Boston are the most interesting matchups.

By the way, if anyone here doesn't read Bill Simmons on Espn.com, you're severly missing out. He's by far my favorite sports journalist.

"In case you didn't see it, the Celtics had a 75-68 lead with the ball and eight minutes to play, as well as a 76-70 lead with three minutes to play ... and somehow ended up losing, 82-79. I would tell you more, but I can't see out of my right eye after punching myself in the face 25 times last night"
More Cowbell (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/blog)

Phoenix1010
04-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Well the Spurs just completed a 28 point massacre of the Nuggets. One close sloppy win for Denver and one dominating blowout for San Antonio. It's hard to think that Denver has any kind of chance to win this series. Lets see if they come back strong at home.

The Yugoslavian
04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

By the way, if anyone here doesn't read Bill Simmons on Espn.com, you're severly missing out. He's by far my favorite sports journalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav
PS I have my own pseudo-analysis of the playoffs so far on my blog: (check the 'homepage' in my info screen)....if you care....

holeplug
04-27-2005, 10:50 PM
I think the Spurs will still win the series but Denver still took a game in S.A which is huge since they only lost 3 games all year at home while being just 1 game over .500 on the road.

Phoenix1010
04-27-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the Spurs will still win the series but Denver still took a game in S.A which is huge since they only lost 3 games all year at home while being just 1 game over .500 on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Also, you know Karl is going to get on their asses and have them ready to bounce back. It will be interesting to see how Carmelo responds after his awful game today.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Yes! Jersey is finally putting up a fight against the Heat. I love it! Heat have gotten some help from role-players, and have the lead, but I REALLY like the effort I'm seeing from the Nets.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 08:54 PM
A random thought: I hate what Stan Van Gundy has the heat doing. They're dumping the ball down into Shaq and spreading out three point shooters along the perimeter, very much like the mid 90's Orlando magic with Dennis Scott, Brian Shaw, and Nick Anderson. Doesn't Van Gundy realize that this kind of thing doesn't work against a strong team defense, like say, the Spurs or the Pistons (or the '95 Rockets)? Especially if you only have one reliable outside shooter (Damon Jones) and a few mediocre ones. If Detroit was able to figure out the triangle offense, I'm pretty sure they can beat the dump to Shaq and spot up offense. I certainly hope they have something else lined up for the stronger teams, or they're toast.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Nets take a 1 point lead in the fourth quarter! Watch this game.

Another Miami weakness: freethrow shooting. They're something like 6/15 tonight. It's very hard to win championships without reliable free throw shooters down the stretch.

holeplug
04-28-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A random thought: I hate what Stan Van Gundy has the heat doing. They're dumping the ball down into Shaq and spreading out three point shooters along the perimeter, very much like the mid 90's Orlando magic with Dennis Scott, Brian Shaw, and Nick Anderson. Doesn't Van Gundy realize that this kind of thing doesn't work against a strong team defense, like say, the Spurs or the Pistons (or the '95 Rockets)? Especially if you only have one reliable outside shooter (Damon Jones) and a few mediocre ones. If Detroit was able to figure out the triangle offense, I'm pretty sure they can beat the dump to Shaq and spot up offense. I certainly hope they have something else lined up for the stronger teams, or they're toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats why you gameplan differently depending on who you're facing.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
J-Kidd missed a wide open three at the buzzer for the win. Going to overtime. It's anyone's game at this point, but Wade has proven himself to be a good overtime performer. Should be exciting.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Horrible Horrible call just now. Great nets defense wasted by a crappy officiating. That was an offensive foul if anything.

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another Miami weakness: freethrow shooting. They're something like 6/15 tonight. It's very hard to win championships without reliable free throw shooters down the stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 10:06 PM
VINCE CARTER AT THE BUZZER! Double overtime. I must be the only one watching this amazing game, lucky me.

blindu
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
it wasnt really an amazing game. miami and jersey were HORRIBLE in OT and 2OT. this game made me realize how cold jersey shooters can go. and i hate it when carter thinks that every play is 22 seconds of him dribbiling and faking, and then taking a kobe-like shot.

miami only won because jersey was playing terrible in both OT's. not because they were good. jersey got lucky to send it into both ot's. its looking very improbable that jersey gets even 1 game.

at the point that miami can win a game where shaq and wade dont have good games, the east is in trouble.

Phoenix1010
04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pistons sweep 76ers

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to show everyone that I'm a genius.

Dead
04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks Steven A. Smith.

Phoenix1010
04-29-2005, 10:56 PM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

By the way, 37 points, 15 assists. Iverson is a beast.

Dead
04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
We already knew Philly would take one though. I think Detroit wins the next two and then eliminates the 76ers. Philly could win one more.

istewart
04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Iverson is God.

Dead
04-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Iverson still doesn't have [censored] on Jordan.

Phoenix1010
04-29-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Iverson still doesn't have [censored] on Jordan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but, to use your terms, no active player has [censored] on Iverson. Iverson needs to be recognized as one of the top three players of his generation. Lebron will have [censored] on him in a couple of years, but at that point, no one in the history of basketball will have [censored] on Lebron.

Dead
04-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Bingo.

I don't deny that Iverson is an incredible player. I mention how great he is in almost every basketball discussion I have with my friends.

But to say that he is God is just ridiculous.

Jordan is, imo, the greatest ever. The Big O, Bird, Kareem, and Wilt round out the top 5.

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Obviously he's not Jordan... clearly "Iverson is God" was hyperbole...

Lighten up Dead. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dead
04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Fiiiine.

Roy Halladay is GOD. He shut out our 200 million dollar team for 9 innings.

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:21 PM
[censored] that.

Dead
04-29-2005, 11:25 PM
We had better kick some Blue Jay ass the next two days.

I am anxious to see if our Wang can follow up on the great performance of our big Johnson.

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Anyone else think these playoffs have been fairly good, compared to recent years? Maybe I'm not thinking right. I'm more anxious to watch these games than normal, however.

Dead
04-30-2005, 12:03 AM
They're definitely better.

I'm watching every single one that is televised here.

Now I'm going to go crawl into bed and drink some shitty beer, and hopefully pass out while watching the Sonics.

Phoenix1010
04-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Kings win! Bibby found his heart! I love Sacremento! I take back everythiung I saiud abuot ray Allen. he played with a lot of killer instinct tonight man. The sonices sjust depend too much on rashard lewis. iuf he isnt playing well, they don't win man. great game tonight htough. tonight game was an ewxample of why a team that depends on outside shooting cant wint the playuoffs. whjen you're not shooting well, you can't win. great game! go sacto! Iverson is god!

Bulldog
04-30-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix1010
04-30-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nets beat Heat in 7 (!)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha you got me there. The Nets are actually just playing into my plan. They knew it had to get to seven games, so they figured they would just lose the first three games and sweep the rest of the series.

tbach24
04-30-2005, 10:59 PM
The C's were amazing tonight

The officials however, were [censored] awful. What a joke, a very important game and they totally favor the Pacers.

holeplug
05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Miami looked really good in the first round. Shaq didn't really do much and they still demolished the Nets. They get a cakewalk series in round 2 so he will have a couple of weeks to gear up for Detriot.

The Suns are so fun to watch play I am kinda hoping they win the title just for the overall good of the NBA.

It looks like the Spurs just had a road bump in game 1 more than anything since Duncan only has had 1 good game so far and they are still up 2-1.

My poor Sixers could have made it interesting yesterday but Willie Green almost airballed a free throw that would have won the game for the Sixers and at least would have made things interesting for a day or 2 in Philly.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Suns are so fun to watch play I am kinda hoping they win the title just for the overall good of the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to be saying this. I guess the Suns' run and gun style is more exciting for the casual NBA fan than the Spurs or Pistons defense-oriented style, but I don't think a Suns championship is going to create any new fans the way people seem to be speculating it will. I really don't see anyone who didn't like basketball before saying "oh snap, the Suns averaged 120 points and won a championship, I should start watching basketball now." Jacking up threes early in the shotclock on almost every possession doesn't make you much more fun to watch than every other team, especially when it comes to true fans of basketball (mostly just my opinion). The Pistons aren't hurting the NBA by winning with a team-first, gritty defensive mindset. If that were the case, the Patriots would have long since buried the NFL.

tbach24
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
This is excessive. IMO an outrage (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2051807)

Voltron87
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
in other news, whoever designed this 16 team best of seven all the way taking way too long playoff system needs to be taken out back and beaten. nobody wants to see these matchups, they're a waste of time.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is excessive. IMO an outrage (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2051807)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's interesting. I think it's likely that there is some stuff that goes on behind the scenes in the NBA that doesn't really fall into the realm of fair and sportsmanlike conduct. The league has a history of coming down hard on anyone who speaks out against these kinds of things. When it's a player making 10 mil a year, or a billionaire like Cuban, the punishment isn't such a big deal, which is why you have to applaud Jeff for making a public statement.

Dead
05-02-2005, 09:15 PM
It didn't used to be that way, Voltron. The first round matchups used to be only 5 games if I'm not mistaken. It was better then.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It didn't used to be that way, Voltron. The first round matchups used to be only 5 games if I'm not mistaken. It was better then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it better back then. Not because I think either way is more boring or takes too long, but because it made it more likely that we could see some first round upsets. The Nuggets would have never beaten the Sonics and the the Knicks would have never beaten the Heat in '99 (one of the greatest moments in NBA history) if they had played 7 game series. It also allowed for the sure slaughterfests like both of this year's 1-8 matchups to get over with that much quicker.

Voltron87
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
all good points phoenix.

but seriously, it's hard to take a sport seriously when there are 500 teams in the playoffs. It was better as a 3/5, since upsets were possible, but there really should only be 8 teams in the playoffs.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all good points phoenix.

but seriously, it's hard to take a sport seriously when there are 500 teams in the playoffs. It was better as a 3/5, since upsets were possible, but there really should only be 8 teams in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, but I think a lot of people take the NCAA tourney pretty seriously, and they've got quite a few teams in there; the number of teams can't be the whole problem. It's a combination of the number of teams and the number of games per series that bogs it down. I guess I agree that it's a bit much, but I'd find it hard to make a case for cutting the Nuggets, Rockets, Bulls, and Pacers out of the playoffs this year.

ClassicBob
05-02-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it is excessive at all. Apparently, there is a current referee in the NBA system who is sharing secrets with one specific coach. This is extremely unethical, and a fine is deserved, as well as extra investigation.

tbach24
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it is excessive at all. Apparently, there is a current referee in the NBA system who is sharing secrets with one specific coach. This is extremely unethical, and a fine is deserved, as well as extra investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ref isn't the one who got the fine though. 100k is very excessive when that will be like 1/5 his salary.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, there are secrets going around between officials in the NBA that stand in the way of fair and balanced officiating. This is unethical, and a public statement is deserved, as well as extra investigation.

contentless
05-03-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The ref isn't the one who got the fine though. 100k is very excessive when that will be like 1/5 his salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. It's excessive, but

[ QUOTE ]
The deal is believed to be for at least four years with a value of $4 million to $5 million annually.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0609/1565431.html

I believe the final value was 4 years, $18 million.

Vince Young
05-03-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked your bracket too. And add this and I have to ask, do you even follow the NBA?

[/ QUOTE ]
gg

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
gg

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Rockets have to get by the Mavs (much less beat the Suns in the second round like you predicted) before you can call it a game /images/graemlins/wink.gif Your picks are looking pretty good right now though.

blindu
05-03-2005, 02:14 AM
his picks look good except for the nuggets beating the spurs in 7...

you know...becasue the spurs are leading 3-1...and the next 2 of 3 games are at home...

the suns will beat either the mavs or the rockets

Vince Young
05-03-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
gg

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Rockets have to get by the Mavs (much less beat the Suns in the second round like you predicted) before you can call it a game /images/graemlins/wink.gif Your picks are looking pretty good right now though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was only talking about the Spurs, but I do still think the Rockets will win.

Joe826
05-03-2005, 02:39 AM
anyone wanna take a $20 even money bet that the suns will beat the spurs when they meet? if these teams don't meet because one of them loses in the next round then either i'll pay up $20 if the suns lose, or you pay up $20 if the spurs lose. if they both lose in the next round, we'll each take our $20 and spend it on alcohol.

i only have room for two takers /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

___SK___
05-03-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone wanna take a $20 even money bet that the suns will beat the spurs when they meet? if these teams don't meet because one of them loses in the next round then either i'll pay up $20 if the suns lose, or you pay up $20 if the spurs lose. if they both lose in the next round, we'll each take our $20 and spend it on alcohol.

i only have room for two takers /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

you got a taker right here. spurs all the way!!

___SK___
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
bump so the guy that made this offer sees i am interested!!!

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump so the guy that made this offer sees i am interested!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought KaneKungFu taught us that message board wagers only lead to heartbreak.

___SK___
05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
its 20 bucks and i dont plan on losing, so its up to the lsoer to pay, if not he is just that a loser!!

tbach24
05-03-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
gg

[/ QUOTE ]

Me = pwnerated

Aceshigh7
05-04-2005, 04:19 AM
My Rockets are down right now. Have been completely screwed by the refs. Whether its a league directive or incompetence or a combination of both I don't know.

Despite this, this team has so much heart. They are going to make some magic on thursday. Yao and TMac will not be denied.

On thursday Clutch City 2005 is born...

Joe826
05-04-2005, 04:25 AM
ah. nice, thanks for the bump i missed this. any other takers?

Phoenix1010
05-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Everyone watch the Pacers/Celtics game. This is unbelievable.

Uglyowl
05-05-2005, 09:53 PM
What the hell is Paul Pierce thinking? I hope the Celts can overcome this, but what a bonehead move.

Phoenix1010
Jamaal Tinsley for MVP.

Homer
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Pierce is a dipshit.

Voltron87
whats going on?

ethan
05-05-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That technical Pierce committed is among the dumber things I've seen today.

Celtics are up 84-83, 13 seconds left, he gets fouled and swats away the guy who fouled him. The refs think and call a technical. He already has one so he's gone, Reggie Miller gets to tie the game with the free throw, and the Pacers get to pick who comes of the Celtics bench to shoot the free throws since Pierce has been ejected. The shooter misses both, the Pacers don't score, and the game's now in OT.

Voltron87
05-05-2005, 09:56 PM
holy crap

Voltron87
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
im just going to let stuart scott break all this down for me at twelve eastern.

holeplug
05-08-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should have some good first round matches this year. Duncan and Shaq's health will determine so much though so its hard to predict what will happen.

Suns over Grizzlies in 4
Spurs over Nuggets in 6
Sonics over Kings in 5
Mavs over Rockets in 6

Heat over Nets in 6
Pistons over Sixers in 5
Celtics over Pacers in 7
Wizards over Bulls in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

On to round 2:

Heat over Wizards in 4
Pistons over Pacers in 5

Suns over Mavericks in 5
Spurs over Sonics in 6

The Pacers and Wiz don't stand a chance in the East. I think the Suns will kill the Mavs and Amare will have a huge series. Spurs perimeter D is too good for the Sonics. I really don't see any of these series being competitive.

Vince Young
05-08-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Suns over Grizzlies in 4
Spurs over Nuggets in 6
Sonics over Kings in 5
Mavs over Rockets in 6

Heat over Nets in 6
Pistons over Sixers in 5
Celtics over Pacers in 7
Wizards over Bulls in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

On to round 2:

Heat over Wizards in 4
Pistons over Pacers in 5

Suns over Mavericks in 5
Spurs over Sonics in 6

The Pacers and Wiz don't stand a chance in the East. I think the Suns will kill the Mavs and Amare will have a huge series. Spurs perimeter D is too good for the Sonics. I really don't see any of these series being competitive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed but I'll take Spurs in 5 also.

Phoenix1010
05-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Someone start a new thread about how amazing the Pacers are.

tbach24
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you

istewart
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
The playoffs have gone from a very interesting first round to a dreadfully boring second round, as it stands.

PhatTBoll
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay

tbach24
05-11-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The playoffs have gone from a very interesting first round to a dreadfully boring second round, as it stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to watch seeing as the NBA fixed it for the Pacers to win so that Reggie would have a nice going out story, not a first round exit. I wish GP would've done the media hype.