PDA

View Full Version : Opponents' loose calling standards at $215s - how to adjust?

TT_fold
04-23-2005, 05:59 PM
We've all seen raptor's posts which advocate pushing virtually any two as the big stack 4-handed, and this strategy has been a major part of my success at SNGs up to the $109 level. It works so well because according to the ICM, your opponents are only correct to call with a very tight range of hands, even if you are pushing with any two. However, I've had trouble adjusting to the $215 level, where many players don't behave rationally on the bubble or 5-handed, hurting both my $EV and my opponent's $EV. Case in point:

In the following spot, I would push with a very wide range of hands. Let's call my range { AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-K2s, QJs-Q2s, JTs-J4s, T9s-T6s, 98s-97s, 87s, AKo-A2o, KQo-K2o, QJo-Q2o, JTo-J4o, T9o-T6o }.

***** Hand History for Game ########## *****
NL Hold'em $200 Buy-in + $15 Entry Fee Trny:######## Level:6 Blinds(150/300) - Wednesday, April 20, 19:27:46 EDT 2005
Table Table 11783 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: PLAYER1 ( $2050 )
Seat 3: PLAYER2 ( $2545 )
Seat 4: PLAYER3 ( $1650 )
Seat 5: PLAYER4 ( $1395 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $2360 )
Trny:######## Level:6
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO 6/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif
PLAYER2 folds.
PLAYER3 folds.
PLAYER4 folds.
HERO is all-In [2210]
PLAYER1 is all-In [1750]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6s, Kc, 9s ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qd ]
** Dealing River ** [ 9h ]
HERO shows [ 6h, Qc ] two pairs, queens and nines.
PLAYER1 shows [ 7d, Ks ] two pairs, kings and nines.
HERO wins 310 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, queens and nines.
PLAYER1 wins 4100 chips from the main pot with two pairs, kings and nines.

If PLAYER1 folds, his $EV is .1834. If PLAYER1 calls and wins, his $EV improves to .3329. Therefore, PLAYER1 needs to be at least 55.1% to win in order to call. According to PokerStove, my opponent has a 48.9472% chance of winning at showdown against my selected range. However, because of $EV considerations, I would definitely prefer that he folds K7o to my push.

I feel as if there is no proper way to adjust to opponents who call too liberally 4- or 5-handed. By folding too much, my stack will quickly be blinded down, but aggressive bubble play often fails against opponents like PLAYER1. What adjustments can I make?

TT_fold
04-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Here's one more example to consider:

4-handed, level 8, blinds are 250/500. Stacks before posting are as follows:

UTG (1)
Button (1)
SB (3999) <--- HERO
BB (3999)

If Hero pushes with any two, BB can only correctly call with QQ-AA. However, how can Hero adjust to a BB who behaves irrationally and calls with a larger range of hands?

Apathy
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What adjustments can I make?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much of the skill the top players have IS making these adjustments. I'm not sure what knd of answer you really believe someone is going to give you.

Just understand that it is rare if ALL players are calling you this loose because you are never playing one type of opponent. Practice good seat selection and Learn who has wider calling ranges with x number of chips. Obviously only make $EV pushes given the calling range you put them on (I.E. tighten up against crazy K7o if the same situation comes up).

Before every push I make I always put the players yet to act on a calling range, start doing that and you will see yourself improve.

FieryJustice
04-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Some people call with anything. Some call with nothing. Figure out who does what and it all becomes simple.

~Jcardshark

Gramps
04-23-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel as if there is no proper way to adjust to opponents who call too liberally 4- or 5-handed. By folding too much, my stack will quickly be blinded down, but aggressive bubble play often fails against opponents like PLAYER1. What adjustments can I make?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're plunking down $215 to play an SNG, even if you're a donating fish, you have a lot less risk aversion than players at lower levels. People don't like to be run over - even if all they do is grumble to themselves and fold anyhow. The less risk-averse fish populating the $215s won't fold and grumble to themselves - they will express their displeasure at you running them over by making "spite calls" that may be -EV for them...but are also -EV for you (e.g. if it's 4-handed, the other players get a "freeroll" at finishing in the money, etc. increasing their EV).

Since these bubble "spite calls" on average decrease your EV, note which players make spite calls and manage your image a little better/narrow the range of your pushing hands. You don't have to never push a crappy/semi-crappy hand, you just have to be conscious of your image and "pushing credibility" (what have you done the last few hands? Have you pushed on this particular BB twice in a row? Have you pushed from your SB the last 3 times you had a chance to? Etc.) and pick your spots well.

It's not a question of pushing everything or pushing only your best hands, it's considering all the variables in play and finding the proper pushing balance.

And if a player is super-loose calling all-ins from the BB, note that and don't overpush on him. Pick on the other players more if you can, and there's a good chance the loose player with have a confrontation with another player, getting you in/close to the money without having to showdown a hand yourself...

Ryendal
04-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Do you use a soft to calculate your EV ? or which system do yuo use ? may be there is a thread to read for that ?
Could you let a link please ?
Thank you