PDA

View Full Version : two pair sucks!

george w of poker
04-23-2005, 04:35 PM
on a general note, lately i've been getting a lot of money in with two pair and losing. i get the feeling that i'm overplaying it a bit.

villain in this hand is unknown. i just know that he's a bit loose. i guess checking the turn is a better move. what if i check and he makes a 1/2 to pot sized bet. or any sized bet for that matter.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($146.4)
MP ($303.55)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Button ($99.5)</font>
SB ($81.22)
BB ($126.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, Button calls $5, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $4.

Flop: ($16.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15, MP folds.

Turn: ($46.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, Button calls $79.50 (All-In), Hero calls $39.50.

River: ($205.50) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $205.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jc Kd (two pair, kings and jacks).
Button has As 6s (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Button wins $205.50. </font>

-Skeme-
04-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't think checking the turn is better. I play this pretty much the same way.

AncientPC
04-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Check / call a ½ pot sized bet and throw out a blocking bet on a non-/images/graemlins/spade.gif river. These hands are always nasty.

But in reality I'd probably bet the turn smaller and whether or not I call a reraise all-in is player dependent. Versus an unknown I might lean towards folding.

Trainwreck
04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Way over played I think, Flush flop and str8 draws galore, I am not at all surprised you're losing, that board texture was horrible for your 2 pair.

Insane overbet after being called on flop, I have to slow down not speed up.

Looks like you totally ignored the possibilities.

&gt;TW&lt;

Bukem_
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Why are you raising $5 pre with this crappy speculative hand?

Thats the reason you end up all in here. Otherwise you can keep the pot much more reasonable.

Unless you have a read on the button that tells you he is drawing you need to check the turn. If he has a weaker hand he will check behind and you can decide if you want to value bet the river.

No way are you ahead when he pushes the turn. You don't have enough outs, fold.

Tuben
04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I think hte play here was terrable. 2 pair on that board whit 3 spades and straight draw then 2 pair is only a marginal hand. You can be drawing to only 4 outs. Almost dead and you overbet the flop . Why should he call pot sixe whit no flush or maybe straight open ended flush draw ?

Bet less and if bigg raise then fold. Bet Half to 2/3 of the pot.

I would have played it somthing like this.

Bet the flop is right but i would have bet like half the pot. And like know he called. The i must put him on made flush or the A flush. Maybe AK ? The on the turn i would bet agin but maybe litle less the half the pot. Only so i am sure i give the draw bad odds if he has like the A of spades. And if he makes a big raise i would fold.

It is like i think know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaveduFresne
04-23-2005, 07:22 PM
All the advice you were given on this hand was correct imho.
Fold it next time.

David