PDA

View Full Version : Al-Qaeda in Plot to Assassinate Pope

MMMMMM
11-10-2002, 08:57 PM
It seems these guys really want a worldwide jihad (and not merely against the USA and Israel, but against all non-Muslim countries and organizations).

A plot to assassinate the Pope--so much for majorkong's assertion that bin-Laden's demands aren't really that unreasonable: this shows al-Qaeda to be a clearly unreasonable organization (but I guess most of us knew that already. What demands would they have made of the Pope, I wonder?--or maybe they just see him as an "infidel" who deserves therefore to die).

Anyway, it seems that at least they're continuing to do a great job of turning world opinion against themselves.

(after clicking the link below, go to the left-hand column and click on "World" which will bring up the featured article with its own clickable headline link)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/

Ed Miller
11-10-2002, 09:39 PM
*sigh* I feel the need to restate my view. Many (but not all) of Al Qaida's gripes have merit (such as Israel's treatment of the Palestinian situation... our support of the Saudi Royals... etc.). Al Qaida's methods (i.e. killing innocent people) are abhorrent. I do agree that the Al Qaida leadership is nuts... but my position is that the reasonable gripes help draw otherwise normal Muslims to their cause. People join Al Qaida because their lives are horrible. Instead of bombing and impoverishing these desparate people, we should work to make their lives better and starve Al Qaida of its recruitment base.

MMMMMM
11-10-2002, 10:59 PM
OK, I admit that not all of al-Qaeda's gripes are totally nuts (just mostly nuts), and it seems that we both agree that their leadership is nuts (however I do think that their specific demand requiring that all "infidels" vacate Saudi soil IS nuts).

Not all who join al-Qaeda do so because their lives are horrible (many are in fact quite rich). I agree that, if possible, we should try to offer those with impoverished lives a chance to better themselves. In some cases misery does make people more susceptible to the allure of such fanatical groups, but I don't believe that poverty is the primary cause of terrorism (else we would see terrorism in many other impoverished areas where in fact we don't see it). I think that long-term indoctrination is the primary cause of terrorism, coupled with a totalitarian mindset (an unwillingness to accept others' beliefs and/or to compromise. We can see such unyielding, fanatical beliefs in groups such as al-Qaeda and Hamas, which in fact publicly proclaim such positions).

I'm all for offering the poor a chance for better things; however, in the Middle East, the backwards customs, beliefs and laws which are so prevalent do impede the progress which would otherwise have a chance of creating greater prosperity for the poor downtrodden souls. The big problem is that their belief systems are holding them in bondage: closed governments simply cannot realistically hope to enjoy the prosperity that open ones may aspire to. Furthermore, those who are teaching hatred of the West are well-entrenched, popular and many. It's a vicious cycle, and as they continue to attack us, the only end to it I can foreseee at this point is the bloody defeat of the radical, aggressive elements. Unfortunately, these radical, aggressive elements now comprise a substantial portion of the total Arab/Muslim population. And unfortunately, an unyielding, aggressive, anti-secular belief system will only continue to get them into trouble with the rest of the wiorld. Reform is needed in many areas, but we can't make them drink from the wells of free thought, free government, free belief, and free expression. Until their societies see MAJOR internal reforms, they will continue to have significant conflicts against the rest of the world, and will continue to struggle with a second-class image compared to the first-world countries, which will in turn fuel more "Arab rage." But some of that rage is inevitable and unavoidable as long as their systems of government and belief continue to hold them back from embracing free thought and free development of ideas, expressions and technologies (for instance, the most popular Saudi college degree is now Theology--consider the future economic costs of so many bright students choosing that major rather than majoring in a technical field--to compete economically worldwide, a country today needs many bright young computer/technology students rather than great masses of religious teachers. Economies which rely primarily on the export of raw materials always stagnate and cannot truly compete with diversified and growing economies).

So what can we do? Fight off the nutcases who attack us, and try to tell and show the others that there is a better way. Engage in some aid and nation-building too. Good luck to the world on this one.

whiskeytown
11-11-2002, 01:47 AM
great....another holy war Catholics vs Muslims...

that's bring down a [censored] storm on all of us....LOL -

RB