PDA

View Full Version : Gonna bet the pot, the whole pot, and nothing but the pot.

Big Limpin'
04-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm going to try something...today, every bet i make will be the size of the pot. EVERY bet. To the dollar. Its more to satisfy my curiosity, but also on the off chance that i may find some sort of benefit.

I wonder what will happen? If anyone else has tried this, i am very interested to hear how it worked out. Otherwise, take a guess in my poll:

pokerlaw
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I was doing this back in about August, after I read (and misapplied, lol) as passage in which TJ Cloutier advocates always betting the pot to throw off your opponents, since they can't read your bet sizes as a tell.

Fortunetly for TJ, it probably works a lot better in the WSOP, when you have 10,000 starting and the blinds are 50/100 or so, so the pot is miniscule most of the time.

On an internet S&G, its a bad idea in my experience. When you bluff, you are giving away too many chips, and when you are not, the only hands you are getting to fold that would have otherwise called a smaller (say 2/3rds bet) are the ones that you are probably beating - so you want to keep them around. Lastly and probably most importantly, the stacks, ESPECIALLY ON PARTY, are not deep enough to make this feasible later on. Just my $0.02- gl though...

Nottom
04-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I think you'd be better off betting 2/3 of the pot every time.

pokerlaw
04-23-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

definetly.

Big Limpin'
04-23-2005, 02:17 PM
I should say im playing 1500 chip games.

Big Limpin'
04-23-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely true. But thats more or less what im normally doing. THe point of this excercise, for me, is more to see the effects of maing slightly larger bets than normal, and see how that works out.

lastchance
04-23-2005, 02:47 PM
What about moving in when betting the pot is a third of your stack or more?

Voltron87
04-23-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was doing this back in about August, after I read (and misapplied, lol) as passage in which TJ Cloutier advocates always betting the pot to throw off your opponents, since they can't read your bet sizes as a tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that was advice for Pot Limit Holdem, right?

pokerlaw
04-23-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that was advice for Pot Limit Holdem, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am 90% sure - my book is in the possession of a friend right now - that that part was in the NL section of McEvoy/Cloutier NL/PL. regardless, I don't follow it now - and TJ himself contradicts the statement later on in the book (i.e. practice hands and other sections). For some reason, I took that sentence as gospel back then. sigh...

BDarch
04-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I have that book too and that advice is for PL

pokerlaw
04-23-2005, 03:19 PM
i stand corrected /images/graemlins/blush.gif thanks...

microbet
04-23-2005, 03:34 PM
TJ poker stud
he does not sing the gospel
maybe he don't care

Big Limpin'
04-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Twenty games later.
By bankroll is now smaller.
But i took some beats.

Freudian
04-23-2005, 04:28 PM