PDA

View Full Version : is there a 12 step program for suited connector addiction?

sng-sam
04-23-2005, 01:13 PM
I play 67s and 89s and 9Ts for a limp only at all levels in most middle and late positions. Am I just giving chips away? It seems that the risk/reward ratio is off here.

SAM

adanthar
04-23-2005, 01:15 PM
At all levels? Are you including 50/100, 100/200, etc?

Because that costs you a ton of money.

Bigwig
04-23-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I just giving chips away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Early in tournaments, I suppose it's 'okay' to limp with these hands in the last four seats. Personally, I prefer it to be the last two seats. Additionally, the hands are terrible to open limp with. Suited connectors are good in multi-way pots, where if you flop two pair, a low set of trips, or a disguised straight, you can get a lot of action.

Once the blinds increase, you're not getting very good implied odds to limp with. You can if you're a big stack, and you have position, because you may be able to use those to your advantage postflop, even if you don't get a piece. But, yeah, I think you're throwing chips away.

spentrent
04-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Suited connectors are hands you play for implied odds or for having something reasonable with position against weaker players.

As the levels increase in a tournament, you and/or or your opponents just don't have the stacks to pay off those implied odds.

Also, if you're limping with suited connectors late in the tournament for position, you were probably better off to have just stolen the blinds, since players are more likely to make plays at that big pot once a flop comes down.

As for playing them early in the tournament (assuming a Party Poker SNG structure), you don't want to be a casualty of Level 1 mania. Buying the button late or limping late hoping to semibluff to steal the pot is playing bingo against the wild players who are willing to die with middle pair.

Sounds like a leak to me.

BradleyT
04-23-2005, 01:33 PM
When it's non-raised PF, how can you expect a lot of action postflop to overcome the implied odds needed?

Hell sometimes it's hard enough getting any action on small pairs that flop a set to overcome the implied odds.

sng-sam
04-23-2005, 01:34 PM
well...after reading your responses. No I don't do it at the higher blind levels for obvious reasons. I probably stop at the begginning of level 4 unless I have a big stack by level 5 I'm done. I'm rarely open limping usually I'm looking for multiway pots like I'm 'supposed' to. But..it just seems that more often than not I'm reraised off the hand or I don't hit the flop. So.....I guess I'll toss them more often.

SAM

ps. thanks

microbet
04-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm with everyone else. Pretty much only in last two positions (or blinds) in the first couple levels. Like 67s I'll only limp from button on the first level. By the third level I may be ok doing this if I have a bigger stack and at least one of the other limpers has a bigger stack. If I have a shorter stack I wouldn't limp at all.

spentrent
04-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Another thing that should come to mind when you want to smoke the suited crack pipe early in a Party game is "do I need to play an implied odds hand to double up?"

The type of player who will pay off your straight will also call your 10xBB pre-flop AA raise with QJ. EDIT: Or he'll dump you chips when you steal in Level 4.

pokerlaw
04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
It is wiser of a limp on a Stars or UB structure - but it is probably still not a good play, even early.

I like to call with suited connectors (add 79, 810, j9 suited also, and even unsuited connectors) when I see the following:

Prerequisite: I need at least 20XBB (something like 3500 chips on 25/50 would be ideal for my liking - talking 1500 starting btw) to do this:

1) I have late position, CO-BB, and I think there is a good chance I will see the flop with 5 OTHER people;

2) Someone MRed, and I think that their mini-raise is indicative of KK or AA. Doesn't happen often, but when this is the case, I will limp if it is just us two in the pot, since the implied odds are there;

3) Late position again, only 3-4 people in the flop, but at least one of them is a maniac/bad player who is likely to pay me off if I hit.

All in all, this results in me limping MAYBE 3 times in a UB sit and go; but more likely 1-2 times, if at all.

Do you ever bluff/steal with suited connectors?

Not a bad idea...when you bet after the flop, people tend to think you are bluffing with overcards at the 6 8 5 flop when in fact you have top pair and a staight draw.