PDA

View Full Version : Brain of 1970's Terrorist Removed For Study

MMMMMM
11-10-2002, 05:48 PM
I have often wondered whether certain individuals (serial killers, mass murderers, and some terrorists) possess certain defects which go beyond merely psychological or even psychiatric problems. In other words, what causes them to lash out in horrific violence towards innocent people who are totally unrelated to their "gripes" or dissatisfactions? (here I am speaking primarily about those who seem to be complete psychopaths) Is it merely a combination of psychological/psychiatric factors, or is there something even more seriously wrong with the way their brains are "wired"?

Here's a link about a case of German anti-establishment terrorist, from the 1970's, whose brain was removed for study. By the way, the relatives want the brain back for proper burial, and others are saying that terrorists have a right to a proper burial too. While I sympathize with the relatives, I also can't help but think that such research might prove valuable, and that in committing acts of terrorism, mass murder or serial kilings, perhaps the perpetrator should cede such personal posthumous rights since this research might uncover something important. For instance I think that the brains of people like Jeffrey Dahmer should certainly be examined in detail--maybe some significant physical abnormalities might be discovered--and who knows, perhaps some similar or related problems might eventually be treatable or preventable in others.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/11/09/germany.meinhof/index.html