PDA

View Full Version : JJ against unpredictable maniac

cmwck
04-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Villian (MP3) is an odd little fellow: 70/24/5.11 after 40 hands.

His style seems to be somewhere in between selective aggression with OK hands, and randomly capping two or three streets in a row as a bluff.

Preflop he almost never plays if someone else raises before him, but he raises with anything if he's the first to raise.

Postflop, he either raises or folds. He may just call on the end if it looks like bluff 3-betting the previous streets isn't working.

At random he plays a hand very reasonably and sanely.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

I wasn't really sure what line to take initialy, so I threw in a check-raise to mix it up and see what would happen.

What are some good alternate lines? Plain 3-bet/cap every street? Check-raise the flop and lead the turn? Check-raise the flop and check-raise the turn?
Lead the river?

thesharpie
04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I like leading the flop as you want MP3 to raise in order to knock out the others, UTG+1 probably has at least 6 outs against you. I would just lead the turn and 3 bet it. A turn check raise might slow some maniacs down and you'd rather not let that happen. The river depends on how gutsy you are, I would lead if he's the type to have anything.

@bsolute_luck
04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
your read sounds very good, though for 40 hands, i'd still be careful on being to narrow. based on these 2 points:

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop he almost never plays if someone else raises before him, but he raises with anything if he's the first to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop, he either raises or folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

flop: fine.
turn: i like the c/r because you know he's going to bet and it is a blank, and i think it is the same as 3-betting, but you get a better idea where you are (IMHO). but as far as slowing him down with it: the 2 isn't a scare card, so i don't think that's a good reason.

but when he reraises, your Jax may not be good. call down like you did.

jrz1972
04-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I know your read is that this guy normally doesn't play if there's a pfr in front of him, but this guy is obviously a maniac and after only 40 hands I would not be convinced that he necessarily has a hand for his pf coldcall.

So yeah, the flop is standard.

I would just lead the turn. A check-raise sometimes will get a maniac's attention and slow him down, which I don't necessarily want. I would bet and 3-bet the turn. I probably lead the river as well even if capped on the turn.

Sometimes the maniac is going to have a hand and I will lose a bunch of money. More often the maniac is throwing his money away and I am the lucky recipient. These guys are variance machines.

Hellen Lovejoy
04-23-2005, 08:40 PM
You're a complete retard who seriously needs to think of the children.

cmwck
04-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Results: Flips over ATo for the wheel and MHING

deepsquat
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
id play it the same

Hellen Lovejoy
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
id play it the same

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT... you would be much less of a douchebag for it.

@bsolute_luck
04-24-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
id play it the same

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT... you would be much less of a douchebag for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

um...i've seen 2 of your postings now and neither have been remotely helpful or useful. is there a reason you exist on these boards or are you on some kind of medication?