PDA

View Full Version : I am new to stud and need advice

Nicmavsfan28
04-23-2005, 08:30 AM
What are the great starting hands of stud, are they consistent with hold em or do you want to have good draws?

Andy B
04-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Great starting hands? Rolled-up trips are obviously best, and big, live pairs and big, live three-flushes are excellent starting hands. Stud hands change in value according to the cards that are out, who is raising if anyone, etc., though, so you can't do a Sklansky-type hand ranking.

For a real guide to playing starting hands, get 7CS4AP. Others may recommend this or that beginner's book, but if you've studied hold'em some, you can just go straight to 7CS4AP, in my opinion.

crookedhat99
04-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm new also, can you give me some beginner's advice on stud hi/lo

Andy B
04-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Read Ray Zee's book.

Play for the scoop. Low hands are usually better than high hands, rolled-up trips being an exception. Don't chase for half the pot. And read Ray Zee's book.

SittingBull
04-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Micro-Limit to 10/20 players "7 Card Stud..".
Then start on "Theory of Poker" by Sklansky.
View Mike Caro's video "tells".
Perhaps study and buy his book.
After practicing West's ideas for several months ,proceed to the advance stud book by RayZee,Malmuth,Sklansky.
Occasionally read West's articles in "CardPlayer".
After a few years,go ahead and buy Konstantin Othmer's stud for Intermediate and Advanced players.

HappyPokering, /images/graemlins/smile.gif
SittingBUll

lane mcbride
04-23-2005, 06:10 PM
For stud Hi lo you want to play hands that have a chance to win both the high and the low end of the pot. 3 low (8 or under) flush cards is a great starting hand, 3 to a straight with three low cards is great (even with gaps) 3 low that contain an ace is a great hand. a pair of aces with a low card is a good hand.

Also, the strength of your hand changes depending on the action before you, the cards that are out, and the number of players you anticipate in the pot.

for example... a hand like a pair of aces with a low kicker plays better with fewer opponents.

with a hand like 236 hearts, you would prefer more callers because it plays well against a lot of opponents

Nicmavsfan28
04-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Excellent advice friend, i will do just that. If I want to master Razz, are there any books other than the obvious Sklansky i might need?
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy B
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Sklansky on Poker should do the trick.

Nicmavsfan28
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Excellent. will do, i already have sklansky's theory of poker, just lack the biggy Sklansky on Poker. 8( /images/graemlins/spade.gif