PDA

View Full Version : Should I have checked the river?

Wynton
04-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Only played one orbit when this hand came up. I know I couldn't anticipate what villain actually ended up having, but I'm wondering whether I should have checked river here. Situation seems pretty common and I'm never sure, without a clear read.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (4.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3c 3h (three of a kind, threes).
UTG has As Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 8.16 BB. </font>

mungpo
04-23-2005, 08:50 AM
I have had this happen to me about 20 times in the last couple of days. I bet the river.

krishanleong
04-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Not betting this river would be incredibly weak.

Krishan

Roy6
04-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Btw is limping with AA/KK UTG that common in 6max games? I've seen it a lot and I always thought it was a very bad move but it's seems to pay-off against good+agressive opponents. (although UTG's turn play is awful in this hand)

sy_or_bust
04-23-2005, 10:42 AM
The limp happens occasionally (Stars 2/4, 3/6, 5/10), but not often. If the table features a few looser types, I think this is a very strong 6max play. I've never done it, but I'm beginning to favor mixing it in.

As far as the hand goes, the limp doesn't affect anything because Hero is not folding, ever. Since UTG doesn't know that, I think his turn play is excellent - he has a monster, with position, and does not want to scare away BB when he can safely raise the river without risking 1-2BB.

Wynton
04-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Funny you should ask. I'm not sure I ever saw this before. But twice this morning I lost to players who had limped utg with AA and KK. And I don't believe this was because they were tricky/good. They just seemed stupid.

aslowjoe
04-23-2005, 11:24 AM
The river bet is a must!

arkady
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Wynton,

First of all, stop posting the results here.
Second of all, take some time and look through this board. I can't tell if you are just posting this for a bad beat sympathy response or because you actually considered checking this through. If the latter, you got some learning to do.

Man, I have to tell myself NOT to 3-bet that river. Yikes.

SkittleBrau
04-23-2005, 12:35 PM
There are a ton of hands that would pay off on the river that you can beat. Also, there are even a lot of hands that might raise here that you can beat (AK, AQ, etc.) So I would play it as you did (bet-call).

Anyone go for the check-raise on the turn here against an unknown? I would do it alot against someone I knew to be fairly aggro, but I'm unsure what to do against an unknown.

reb
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I'd follow this line, I wouldn't try to checkraise the turn here against an unknown who hasn't shown any aggression. Unsure wheter to call or 3-bet the river though.

Bluffoon
04-23-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only played one orbit when this hand came up. I know I couldn't anticipate what villain actually ended up having, but I'm wondering whether I should have checked river here. Situation seems pretty common and I'm never sure, without a clear read.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (2.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (4.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3c 3h (three of a kind, threes).
UTG has As Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 8.16 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wynton I just had a 300 bb downswing so I know it sucks but you have got to stop being such a pussy or you are going to get run over until your bankroll is gone.

Wynton
04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
I didn't mean to suggest I was entitled to sympathy. But I guess I included the results because initially I thought about asking about the limpers play also.

I really did need some reassurance that betting was correct. Believe me, I am painfully aware of how much I have to learn here. And I am reading quite a lot of old posts. But even if this situation is obvious to you, it wasn't to me. So I thought it was worth asking.

I do appreciate the candid responses everyone.