PDA

View Full Version : Fold the idiot end of the straight?

cmwck
04-23-2005, 05:46 AM
No reads on anybody.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Maybe debatable limp here. I've been trying to get my vpip up lately but I hope this isnt too loose.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

standard flop w/ 7 outs?

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

now i have 6 outs, again, standard call?

River: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero ...

What do you think? I'm guessing I either loose to MP1 or split it, so can we fold the river?

milesdyson
04-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Preflop limp is fine. I'd call 76s there with loose passives behind. Flop call is fine, I thought about raising the turn to showdown for free, but I'm not confident in that line, and folding is not an option here with our OESD and pair (even if half the straight draw is weak). So we call the turn.

And no, you can't fold that river.

cmwck
04-23-2005, 06:06 AM
Just a quick Q about the free showdown line. I'm guessing you don't like raising the turn for a free showdown because he could 3-bet, and then our 'free' showdown turns into a 4-bet showdown.

So, in general, when raising the turn for a free showdown, is the idea to fold to a 3-bet?

milesdyson
04-23-2005, 06:12 AM
Totally depends on who you're up against and the board texture. If you knew that a 3-bet meant you only had, say, 2 outs and the pot was laying 8:1 or so to call the 3-bet, you'd fold. You would really only be attempting to buy free showdowns against pretty passive players, so you do have to be careful when 3-bet.

There are times when you would have maybe second pair and a nut flush draw on the turn. You're obviously not folding to a 3-bet there, but you may fold to a single bet on the river without hitting your flush. So just think of it the same way you would calling any other bet. What range of hands does villain have when he 3-bets, and do I have enough outs against those hands to call the 3-bet?