PDA

View Full Version : When are your cards not your cards?

MS Sunshine
04-23-2005, 02:35 AM
I know that most will say that I most likely remembered the previous hands hole cards for the current hand. Something funny happened just as I was alling at the river for $750. The pixals where my holecards got blurry and it looked like my top card was a red seven. Then they cleared into a 75o. I only had one other game up. I was running the usual programs, with just Empire up, plus IE.

I saw AdKd as my hand the second hand, I usually don't raise with 75o up front and call a raise. I remember looking back on the turn to make sure both of my red cards were diamonds. Let me repeat that. I remember looking back on the turn to make sure both of my red cards were diamonds. I do this because I can make a mistake and I'm real careful with flushes. I have a Dell 2001. I had an uncluttered view of the whole game window.

I feel so hosed.

MS Sunshine

***** Hand History for Game 1937076732 *****
$1000 NL Hold'em - Saturday, April 23, 01:48:02 EDT 2005
Table Table 36903 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: HoustonBob ( $1238.25 )
Seat 3: seeker2004 ( $773.5 )
Seat 4: pnuthead ( $950 )
Seat 5: RL3382 ( $1250.18 )
Seat 6: Jcardshark ( $987 )
Seat 7: tiltboy1 ( $1025.25 )
Seat 9: eromanov ( $895.25 )
Seat 10: Jasmal ( $950 )
Seat 1: cukoobird ( $690 )
Seat 8: BadLemur ( $995 )
Jasmal posts small blind [$5].
cukoobird posts big blind [$10].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pnuthead [ Kd Ad ]
HoustonBob calls [$10].
pnuthead raises [$30].
RL3382 calls [$30].
Jcardshark folds.
tiltboy1 folds.
BadLemur folds.
Jasmal folds.
cukoobird folds.
HoustonBob calls [$20].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, 5h, Ts ]
>You have options at Table 36681 Table!.
HoustonBob checks.
pnuthead bets [$50].
RL3382 folds.
HoustonBob calls [$50].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qs ]
HoustonBob checks.
pnuthead bets [$150].
HoustonBob folds.
pnuthead does not show cards.
pnuthead wins $352
***** Hand History for Game 1937084756 *****
$1000 NL Hold'em - Saturday, April 23, 01:49:40 EDT 2005
Table Table 36903 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 2: HoustonBob ( $1158.25 )
Seat 3: seeker2004 ( $773.5 )
Seat 4: pnuthead ( $1072 )
Seat 5: RL3382 ( $1220.18 )
Seat 6: Jcardshark ( $987 )
Seat 7: tiltboy1 ( $1025.25 )
Seat 9: eromanov ( $895.25 )
Seat 10: Jasmal ( $945 )
Seat 1: cukoobird ( $680 )
Seat 8: BadLemur ( $1000 )
cukoobird posts small blind [$5].
HoustonBob posts big blind [$10].
eromanov posts big blind + dead [$15].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pnuthead [ 5c 7h ]
pnuthead raises [$35].
RL3382 folds.
Jcardshark folds.
tiltboy1 folds.
BadLemur raises [$100].
eromanov folds.
Jasmal folds.
cukoobird folds.
HoustonBob folds.
pnuthead calls [$65].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8s, Kc, 6d ]
pnuthead bets [$150].
BadLemur calls [$150].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2d ]
pnuthead checks.
BadLemur checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 8d ]
pnuthead is all-In [$822]
BadLemur is all-In [$750]
pnuthead shows [ 5c, 7h ] a pair of eights.
BadLemur shows [ Ac, Ah ] two pairs, aces and eights.
pnuthead wins $72 from side pot #1 with a pair of eights.
BadLemur wins $2027 from the main pot with two pairs, aces and eights.

reubenf
04-23-2005, 02:39 AM
You use two color decks?

mannika
04-23-2005, 02:46 AM
The graphics for the cards are stored locally. Who knows, someone may have messed around with the image files for the 5c/7h.

This is ridiculously unlikely, but it just made me think of the most cruel April fools joke ever.

bconway6
04-23-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is ridiculously unlikely, but it just made me think of the most cruel April fools joke ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

AAmaz0n
04-23-2005, 04:56 AM
that sucks.

Two instances spring to mind; one technological, the other psychological/physiological.

The last time that I played PokerRoom and had three tables running plus PT my computer was running really slow. So slow, in fact that the screen wasn't redrawing as fast as the play was happening. I could hear the sounds of the cards being shuffled and chips being raised and finally the prompt that it was my turn to act. However, no cards were yet in view in front of me - the screen hadn't drawn them in yet. I had to keep waiting for the cards to show up before I could act, and sometimes the cards from the hand before were still in front of me while the sounds of the current game were going on. I rebooted, turned off the auto rate during import and things cleared up. It took some mental gymnastics in the mean time to keep track of which were my current cards and when I had to wait for them to show up.

It could be some freaky timing thing where somehow the screen didn't redraw your current hole cards, or the video card hiccuped and refreshed only part of the screen and finally caught up with itself at the end. That would explain why they finally changed.

When I play live, I look at my hole cards once and memorize them so I don't give any tells about having to check them again. At least once I remember turning over my A6 to show my flopped two pair only to have the dealer and the other player who I figured had me outkicked preflop look at me oddly wondering why I was so proud of my A8 which was only one pair with a lower kicker.It's not like I normally have any problem remembering my hand, I really thought for a moment that somehow the cards had been switched. Did I retain an image on my retina from the previous hand, or something misfire between my eyeball and the part of my brain that stores my hole cards? Who can say.

Just some thoughts, I hope maybe they help.

Shauna

MicroBob
04-23-2005, 05:40 AM
I've had similar type 'hiccup' situations at pokerroom.

Not quite having to wait for my cards to appear though.

Have also played a few hands at bodog where something goofy happened and I didn't get to see the flop.
Then a couple hands later there would be 8 cards on the board (running all the way off the edge of the table) and I had no idea which cards were for that hand and which cards were 'left-overs' from the previous hand.
I've had this happen on bodog more than once.

I haven't had as many problems with party but I have had a couple of goofy things happen there so I wouldn't be surprised if this really was some weird technical glitch and not the results of some acid-tripped-out-hallucination because your wife decided to drop a little cube of transcendental happiness in your Dr. Pepper.

I Play 2 Ski
04-23-2005, 10:24 AM
looks like a $750 redraw problem. This has happened to me, but never to the river of the hand

Mr_Gordon
04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You use two color decks?

[/ QUOTE ]

swedeD
04-23-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I play live, I look at my hole cards once and memorize them so I don't give any tells about having to check them again. At least once I remember turning over my A6 to show my flopped two pair only to have the dealer and the other player who I figured had me outkicked preflop look at me oddly wondering why I was so proud of my A8 which was only one pair with a lower kicker.
Shauna

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny

CountDuckula
04-23-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You use two color decks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; it took me a while to get used to it, but the 4-color deck really helps me spot flush draws quickly and easily.

-Mike

SkittleBrau
04-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure something like this happened to me on Eurobet once. What sucks is that once it's over it's pretty hard to prove anything to them. Given that, I just grumbled and moved on but it didn't cost me nearly what it cost you. There is probably some bug in the Party client and given how hard it would be to show them the issue, it may be difficult to get them to fix it.

nolanfan34
04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double word. And does this mean you could store Poker Stars cards graphics in the appropriate Party file? Interesting.

Baulucky
04-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I had a similar experience that I can clearly remember. I thought that I was going crazy. Now, after your post, I'm pretty certain that this is some type of inside programmer scamming money from players. It also looks like there's no way to prove it.

lorinda
04-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Orangeheat beat you to it /images/graemlins/smile.gif (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=527139&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=2&vc=1)

Lori

GMan42
04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I play live, I look at my hole cards once and memorize them so I don't give any tells about having to check them again. At least once I remember turning over my A6 to show my flopped two pair only to have the dealer and the other player who I figured had me outkicked preflop look at me oddly wondering why I was so proud of my A8 which was only one pair with a lower kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can cost you money the other way, too. Once in a home game with QJs, I flopped top two pair on a QJT board, bet out and got two callers. Turn paired the T, I got check-raised and reluctantly called. River put a 3rd suited card on board (not my suit) and I made a crying overcall of a small bet (mainly because the players were so bad and could have anything). One turns over AA, the other shows trip tens, and as I flip my cards over in disgust, I say "I just had...um...a boat..." as I look at the QT I've just shown down. This was against players that call all-ins like 50% of the time, too. Could have been a monster pot.