PDA

View Full Version : Common mid-low pair situation: Ragged flop

Aaron W.
04-23-2005, 02:32 AM
PFR is relatively new to the table. I think this was the first raise I saw from him. He seemed relatively tight preflop and hasn't done anything to get my attention.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, Hero...

ArturiusX
04-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Fold without looking twice.

Entity
04-23-2005, 02:39 AM
I think checkraising is ok sometimes. I also think folding is ok sometimes.

This time, I think I'd checkraise.

Rob

milesdyson
04-23-2005, 02:46 AM
I would check raise this against myself. It all depends on how tight/passive CO is, but I would raise here more often than fold.

ArturiusX
04-23-2005, 02:48 AM
On a second look, a check-raise might be good with a good read. I have no problems mucking this though.

olavfo
04-23-2005, 02:50 AM
This pot is worth going for. I check raise to get it heads-up, but I'd have to know a bit about Villain's raising standards before making this play.

If I know Villain to be a tight raiser, I check raise the flop. If Villain reraises and leads the turn, I fold. If UTG+1 folds and Villain just calls my raise I check behind/call down unless scary cards hit.

In all other scenarios I'd re-evaluate the situation on the turn.

olavfo

Kumubou
04-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I'm curious as to why a check-raise may be proper. Is this read-dependent, trying to spook the PFR off his overcards?

I'm guessing you can safely fold to a 3-bet (or call and fold the turn UI).

-K

milesdyson
04-23-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to why a check-raise may be proper. Is this read-dependent, trying to spook the PFR off his overcards?

I'm guessing you can safely fold to a 3-bet (or call and fold the turn UI).

-K

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he will incorrectly fold many overcard hands to a single bet on the turn.

olavfo
04-23-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very possible that your hand is best at the moment. A check-raise will most likely force out UTG+1 and maximize your chance of winning this pot.

olavfo

Aaron W.
04-23-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why checkraise this time?

Entity
04-23-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why checkraise this time?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is large, you only have one other PF caller to "make it" through, it's a good flop for 66, and you have some backdoor draws which help cushion the blow if you do get 3-bet.

Rob

Shillx
04-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Normally fold but sometimes check/raise.

jaxUp
04-23-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would check raise this against myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me a PM when this matchup happens. I'm curious to see the outcome.

Also, for some content:
All things considered, I like a c/r here. But I'm not sure if I would have made that decision at the table.

cmwck
04-23-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I know Villain to be a tight raiser, I check raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tighter the raiser the more inclined you are to check-raise? Why is this? Wouldn't his tightness increase the chances he has a pocket pair?

xenthebrain
04-23-2005, 07:59 AM
I would fold than one. Given your read and with 2 overcards on board and even if you are ahead you hand is very vulnerable.

fl0w
04-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Folds.

davelin
04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I've been experimenting with c/r in this situation with a fold with a 3-bet on the turn UI.

However, I'm surprised how often I'm passively called down with QQ-TT here.

Aaron W.
04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I stared at the board for a moment, told myself that that it's just a follow-through bet in position and even though I've got less than second pair, it's not a bad spot to check-raise. Then I got gunshy and folded.

I don't think a fold is terrible here, but to those who auto-fold this type of hand, the check-raise on a ragged board against a PFR is worth considering and adding to your playbook (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2197070&amp;page=3&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1).