PDA

View Full Version : is this a tell?

TStoneMBD
04-23-2005, 12:43 AM
been playing the 5/10 short for about 2.5 days now, great game. if 5/10 6max was heaven i could live a prosperous eternal life.

and ive come to notice a tell that alot of players seem to have.

when betting the river, or sometimes the turn, the player will take a long artificial pause as if hes thinking about something, then bet. everytime they do it i want to fold so bad but i have a hand that i normally would pay off if it werent for "the tell".

has anybody else noticed this? is the tell reliable? should i be inclined to fold many more hands when i see the tell or is it just coincidence up to this point?

in truth, i may have been a culprit of the tell in the past. for the first 15k hands or so that i logged at 3/6 i would take the artificial long pause when i wanted to get paid off. i try not to do it too much anymore, or i mix things up. now that im playing more tables than i was back in my first 15k hands at 3/6 (was 4tabling), i dont think it matters now anyway since most pauses from me are just from playing too many hands.

i only have 8k hands logged.

imitation
04-23-2005, 12:51 AM
No

kiddo
04-23-2005, 04:40 AM
People out of position with a not very good hand will often wait 5 sec before checking river if river is a scary card. But they will also wait and think if they do hit that river.

Dont trust tells, the best reason to do something strange is because u want the other guy to not do what u think he will do, so normally u should do what u intended to do.

Victor
04-23-2005, 04:57 AM
lol

i wouldnt really use this as a tell. handreading works better.

so does running good.

Victor
04-23-2005, 04:59 AM
also. i do this all the time. usually its cuz i am multitabling.

arkady
04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
i will tell you what IS a tell.

when they check to you, but take like 5 seconds. they usualy have crap, but are trying to scare you into checking it through. don't fall for it.

Jeff W
04-23-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't rely on these slow timing tells. I do make notes of what a player has when he bets very quickly, as those tells are usually reliable one way or the other.

I pause for 4 seconds before every action. It's an old trick I learned from Jim Brown-he used to get up very slowly any time he was tackled, regardless of whether he was hurt or not. That way, when he really was hurt, the defense couldn't tell.

ctv1116
04-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't want to play at your table.

imitation
04-23-2005, 02:37 PM
To extend my post sok I will ciek thebtton when I have an opportuneity, sdomtimes i am unvabiablable. Udnetsarand?

Danenania
04-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't look to start applying generic tells to unknowns, however I do make frequent use of tells against players who I've been playing against for a decent time, if I notice any consistent patterns.

Nate tha' Great
04-23-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i will tell you what IS a tell.

when they check to you, but take like 5 seconds. they usualy have crap, but are trying to scare you into checking it through. don't fall for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah-ha, this one is pretty reliable! Very similar in spirit to some classic Caro/B&M tells.

Similarly, an insta-check can mean a higher likelihood of a check-raise IMO.

Nate tha' Great
04-23-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pause for 4 seconds before every action. It's an old trick I learned from Jim Brown-he used to get up very slowly any time he was tackled, regardless of whether he was hurt or not. That way, when he really was hurt, the defense couldn't tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

-EV.

Yes, I'm serious.

You're probably costing yourself say 2-3 hands table/hour by doing this.

arkady
04-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Ay /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Problem with the insta-check read is the flip side. When they have NOTHING, like really really nothing, it can also be insta-checked.

In fact I am pretty sure they check off 'check/fold'. I have seen people do that in small unraised pots, where they are totally not interested in the pot. They just put check/fold and it is insta-checked to you. Bet with anything and take the pot.