PDA

View Full Version : Checking it through (or bet here?) - postflop question

Scuba Chuck
04-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t575)
SB (t1515) <font color="white"> Has KT </font>
Hero (t1000)
UTG (t980)
UTG+1 (t985)
UTG+2 (t945)
MP1 (t935)
MP2 (t960)
MP3 (t1130)
CO (t975)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t45) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (t295) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, SB calls t150.

River: (t595) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t595

<font color="blue"> What do you think? Too weak tight? What I'd hate to see happen here is a check-raise. As I'd likely fold. Furthermore, all I have here is top pair with likely best kicker. Thoughts?</font>

DasLeben
04-22-2005, 10:18 PM
This is exactly the line I'd take. SB has said that he has a piece of the flop, and I don't like that jack on the board at all.

sng-sam
04-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I check this everytime. The extra chips are not worth the risk.

SAM

Phil Van Sexton
04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I think the check was fine. He overbet the flop, then check/called on the turn.....very odd. When things make no sense, I tread cautiously and likely check.

If he had bet 45 on the flop, I definately value bet this river.

Scuba Chuck
04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He overbet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume I'm not the only one who saw this overbet as a clear sign that villain has a K?

john_
04-22-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume I'm not the only one who saw this overbet as a clear sign that villain has a K?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think anyway...I check here too.

lastchance
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Stop trying to put $11's on hands. It's amazingly hard. You've got to put them on a very wide range. Right now, I'm thinking "this guy has a ok hand, probably not a great one." This means he has at least a pair, and less than trips (and probably didn't hit a jack on the river). That's the extent of my read.

Voltron87
04-22-2005, 11:22 PM
You can put in a crappy little 100 chip bet but I don't think it will be called here... I have no idea what this guy has but I know he isn't ahead of you... I doubt he has a calling or cr'ing hand so a check is fine. I probably bet small here though, no big deal.

Scuba Chuck
04-22-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop trying to put $11's on hands. It's amazingly hard. You've got to put them on a very wide range. Right now, I'm thinking "this guy has a ok hand, probably not a great one." This means he has at least a pair, and less than trips (and probably didn't hit a jack on the river). That's the extent of my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the $11 part.

But you're saying that if you were SB, and BB had been leading the betting, you wouldn't check-raise the river if you had hit your J for two pair?

Nottom
04-22-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the $11 part.

But you're saying that if you were SB, and BB had been leading the betting, you wouldn't check-raise the river if you had hit your J for two pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, hes just saying its unlikely he has KJ. I think a bet here of about 200 is fine. You could get called by a worse K or even something like A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif and the only hand I am really worried about is KJ, and I think you can lay down to a checkraise from most opponents.

lastchance
04-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Eh... Yeah, I should've edited after I realized that part was wrong, heh. Neway, at your buy-in level, I guess you can make a better read.

I'm just saying it's really hard to put bad players on hands.

With KJ specifically, I would have bet less on the flop, check-called turn, like he did, and probably led and called a raise on the river. I don't check-raise on the end often, as bad players are more likely to call a bet with crap than bet with crap, unlike me.

Maybe betting is correct, as a few hands worse than you (any King) will call, and a check-raise probably means hands better than you.