PDA

View Full Version : Even worth trying to read players in micro limit?

A-Baum
04-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Playing $.50/$1 PP and wondering if it's worth my time at all to even attempt to get a read on opponents. I personally don't think it's possible most of the time. How can you read when someone calls to the river a 32o and takes a pot because the river made their runner runner wheel?

I usually pay no attention to the table unless I'm in the hand. It's probably better EV to read this forum than it is to both reading those people, because there's probably nothing to read.

benkath1
04-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I partially agree. The thing to figure out is how to play against those players, and adjusting to the mix of good and bad. If you are in a pot with a donk and an eagle, how do you handle those situations and maximize profits. Sometimes I don't even pay attention to the donk and it winds up costing me.

McGahee
04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing $.50/$1 PP and wondering if it's worth my time at all to even attempt to get a read on opponents. I personally don't think it's possible most of the time. How can you read when someone calls to the river a 32o and takes a pot because the river made their runner runner wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your timing is uncanny. Just got runner runner wheeled 2 minutes ago /images/graemlins/mad.gif

A_C_Slater
04-22-2005, 08:55 PM
You should at least be taking notes on how bad they really are. Are they passive postflop or aggressive? Will they only raise if they have a monster? Do they protect their top pair/good kciker hands in multiway pots or do they just check/call? Yes, they are usually all bad, but you have to take notes on their degree of ineptitude.

If you're only paying attention to the fact that he plays 32o then you won't know what to do when he check raises you on the turn Heads up. Is he the bluff happy LAGGY type post flop? Or is he the "raise only with nuts" loose pasive type post flop? Against laggy you can call down with your marginal hands, but against the loose passive you should be folding. This information is important

Buckmulligan
04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
You raise an interesting point that is true to a certain extent. I have found that table VPIPs are more reliable than individual reads in terms of trying to make decisions (your decision being to leave or remain at a table). I have also found that tight players obviously play more predictably than loose ones, but since there are so many loose players at micros, often times reads are way too inconsistent. Still, you work with the information given to you, although it is limited.

olavfo
04-22-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's a good read in itself. When an opponent can have a broad spectrum of hands, including absolute junk, you will be able to bet marginal hands for value more often against him than against a solid player.

Occasionally he will beat you with runner-runner straights and whatnot, but that's poker.

olavfo

Aaron W.
04-22-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'read' doesn't mean knowing exactly what your opponent has. Villain in this case was probably playing just about everything. That sort of read is useful because you know you can isolate with weaker hands and still have the best of it. You also know he'll pay you off by chasing weak hands. (See how much information you can glean from a single sentence? Imagine how much information you're missing!)

[ QUOTE ]
I usually pay no attention to the table unless I'm in the hand. It's probably better EV to read this forum than it is to both reading those people, because there's probably nothing to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably false. Reading players (even bad ones) is far more +EV than reading stuff you can read when you're *NOT* playing poker.

TripleH68
04-22-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you read when someone calls to the river a 32o and takes a pot because the river made their runner runner wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a read? I mean, some of my notes say "pays no attention to position" or "calling station will stay in with any draw including a gutshot."

ArturiusX
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
If only poker was as simple as 'bad' and 'good'.

Why are they bad? Why are they good? What range of hands? What would they push hard? and so on.

Make your opponents predictable, you've won most of the battle.

A_C_Slater
04-22-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How can you read when someone calls to the river a 32o and takes a pot because the river made their runner runner wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a read? I mean, some of my notes say "pays no attention to position" or "calling station will stay in with any draw including a gutshot."

[/ QUOTE ]

Will stay with any draw? Even a (gasp) gutshot draw, the hell you say? Oh yeah... well try to classify this one smart boy.

Paradise Poker $2/4 ---ten handed

UTG folds, AC raises with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

(5 SB)
2 players --FLOP: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

AC bets, CO calls.

(3.5 BB)
2 players-- TURN: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

AC bets, CO calls.

(5.5 BB)
2 players-- RIVER: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

AC bets, CO calls.

I am 99% sure the pot is going my way and then CO shows T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

No pair...no draw, no gutshot....not even a backdoor flush.....just....ten high? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

And to top it all of he hits his miracle river card and he fails to raise me! What hand does he think I have that beats him? Does he now think I have pocket nines? WTF!!??

I cannot possibly comprehend how anyone could possibly think on such a level of obvious mental retardation and still be able to operate a mouse.

Isura
04-22-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even worth trying to read players in micro limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

See the Fundamental Theorem of Poker. Hand reading is one of the last skills that an expert masters. So, Yes.

TripleH68
04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Sooted three gappers are lucky hands.

A-Baum
04-22-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If only poker was as simple as 'bad' and 'good'.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience at a $.50/$1 limit game, I read the table as being bad, as an entity. They pay no attention to position, or hand quality. They are mostly calling stations, and if they raise you, you're probably beaten unless you have the nuts. They don't check raise, and they don't bluff. It's very straightforward for the most part, that is until they table 64o UTG and take the pot when the board is 4 A T 9 6 and you've been leading out every round with your AKs just to be called.

I always throw up just a little bit when I'm called down to the river when I've isolated someone. You just have NO idea what you're going to see.

Saint_D
04-23-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In my experience at a $.50/$1 limit game, I read the table as being bad, as an entity.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as .5/1 tables go, I am better than about 1/2 the people at the table. Knowing which half that is makes a HUGE difference in my win rate. I punish the people who are more donkish than me, and I stay out of the way of people who show an ability to outthink me.

I find that a VP$IP < 20 is a good indication that I need to give the person some credit. This in turn makes them a little easier to read, and I usually know when I am ahead.

Even with 4 tables I can get read on anyone who sticks around a table for a few orbits. This in turn helps me make descisions. KTs facing a raise? PFR 40% gets an isolation re-raise. VP$IP 18 gets a fold.

-D