PDA

View Full Version : ethics of playing with friends online

iluzion
04-22-2005, 07:36 PM
How many of you play with friends who are less strong poker players online? Do you take it easy on them or if you don't, what happens when you take money from them? I play 1/2 and am starting to make the move to 2/4 but a buddy wanted me to play a few sessions of .5/1 with him. He is one of those "deposit $50 and hope to go big on party" kinda guys, and was down to $15ish by the time I played a game with him. Assuming its wrong to play light on him, I played my normal aggressive game, but loosened it up alot. On one hand with ATs I called his raise from the blinds, flop came with and ace and two of my suite, he had AK, there was lots of action, river brought my flush and his leading bet put him all-in. When I showed he got really pissed at me, and now, a few days later, I run into him and all I get is "you owe me money" and he wont talk to me. Is this stupid or should i have been easy on a friend like this?

BeantownCaller
04-22-2005, 07:46 PM
When I play with one friend and a bunch of strangers in real life, or online, I try not to get involved in pots with my friend. Call it what you want, but it's not collusion, I'd rather just play against the other 8 people at the table. I guess limit is different, but if I was playing with someone who could not afford to lose $15 I wouldn't play with them at all, it's just too small an amount of money to make an issue out of.

brazilio
04-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I play with a friend of mine. He's possibly a bit better than I am, but it'd be pretty goddamned disappointing if he or I took it easy on the other. If you aren't playing poker to make money, you shouldn't be playing. Unless you're at a 2+2 table to relax or someth. Your friend's an idiot though, if you value friendship I'd try to avoid ganking his money. Personally, $15 is worth more than a tool like that.

ugh, nevermind.

Reef
04-22-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I showed he got really pissed at me, and now, a few days later, I run into him and all I get is "you owe me money" and he wont talk to me. Is this stupid or should i have been easy on a friend like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's ignorant. Get a new friend.

grimel
04-22-2005, 08:02 PM
He's a moron. I play w/ 1 person I used to work with occasionally. I play w/ 1 cousin and several of his/my friends at SNG, MTT, and the odd cash game. The real your friend is a moron kicker is we (cousin and friends) pay $20 once a week for an online tourny (we live 1-4hrs from each other) winners (top 5) take all.

IggyWH
04-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Recently, I ran into this dude on the tables that I went to high school with. We were what I liked to call "school friends". We were friends in school, but never hung out outside of school. We had almost all the same classes together so it was more of a convenience for us to be friends in school.

We'll play 3-4 tables at a time together and our goal is to see who can win the most money off of each other. There's no taking it easy. It's a little hard now though since we have pretty much perfect reads on each other (playing 2000+ hands together will do that with anyone) but it's still balls to the walls. None of this pussy crap, taking it easy on each other.

I think if you go easy on someone purposely because they are a friend, you are colluding and are no better than the people who share hole cards. It turns into a 8 vs 2 game when you go easy on each other and that simply isn't fair to everyone else at the table.

iluzion
04-22-2005, 08:29 PM
yeah, you guys are all pretty much saying the same thing i was thinking here. im giving him his money back when i see him and telling him if he expects a refund, dont expect me to play with him anymore, it was a net won of i think $7-8 from him.

A-Baum
04-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Little bit of a hijack, but a question toward the guy who 4 tables and has played 2000+ hands with the same guy.

Doesn't the poker site notice that? I mean, what would keep me and my buddy from doing that and chatting over AIM about our cards and isolating players? I'm obviously not accusing you, you're just having fun with your friend, but I'm sure people do exactly what you described but are doing it to cheat. Have you ever gotten an email about you playing with the same person all the time?

Richter
04-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I go after my buddies more than others at the table for some reason. Guess it's a competition thing.

The few times we ended up at the same table in NL tourny's I guess I tried to stay out of pots with him when it was convenient to do it... I get a good hand though and I don't care if it's my mom across from me.

ZimbuTheMonkey
04-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I second the "get new friend" motion.

I give strict importance to debts, ESPECIALLY gambling debts. If a friend ever came to me and said "you owe me money" that I fairly won, I would just say "Sorry, you lost that money, and you knew the terms in which we were playing". It doesn't matter if it's 2$ or 200$, it's a matter of honor and I expect the other party to keep theirs.

Freakin
04-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Would he owe you money if he won the hand?

Freakin

ThrillFactor
04-22-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, you guys are all pretty much saying the same thing i was thinking here. im giving him his money back when i see him and telling him if he expects a refund, dont expect me to play with him anymore, it was a net won of i think $7-8 from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If 7 or 8 bucks is that big of a deal to him, first tell him to get a job, then go get a new friend.

Eihli
04-22-2005, 09:29 PM
I'd pay him $100 to never have to see or hear from him again.

brazilio
04-22-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Little bit of a hijack, but a question toward the guy who 4 tables and has played 2000+ hands with the same guy.

Doesn't the poker site notice that? I mean, what would keep me and my buddy from doing that and chatting over AIM about our cards and isolating players? I'm obviously not accusing you, you're just having fun with your friend, but I'm sure people do exactly what you described but are doing it to cheat. Have you ever gotten an email about you playing with the same person all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've probably played almost 3k hands or so with my friend, and I've never had a problem. We're not colluding, and we're generally in hands together very infrequently. He'll tell me his hole cards when I'm not playing vs him and vice versa (but one of us is in the hand). The thing is that I've played almost 2k hands with a LOT of TAGs, so he's not particularly different. I chat with him on AIM at the time, but in general our gameplay doesn't change significantly other than comments about each other's play.

grimel
04-22-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I tried to stay out of pots with him when it was convenient to do it... I get a good hand though and I don't care if it's my mom across from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLSCOK

Spoken like a true poker player. Stay out of pots if it's convenient (i.e. I gots crap) and God have mercy cause I ain't if I got the cards.

grimel
04-22-2005, 10:05 PM
So, you are going to let him whine, get "his" money back, and then tell him if he expects any more gifts not to expect you to play with him anymore?

Looks like a win for him. He gets money back and 1 less shark to skin him later.

People like your "friend" just burn my tail.

naschburger2
04-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Your friend is a jerk. I avoid playing on the same table as my friends because I do tend to not go after them but they would never be upset if I beat them. Party does not allow me to play on the same table with a person I referred to the site. I actually think this is a good idea to avoid collusion.

ChipFish
04-23-2005, 03:35 AM
I think you should make a really tacky necklace out of the money you won from your "friend" and wear it everytime you expect to see him.
When he asks what it is, Tell him it's "his" money.

EliteNinja
04-23-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, $15 is worth more than a tool like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make a really tacky necklace out of the money you won from your "friend" and wear it everytime you expect to see him.
When he asks what it is, Tell him it's "his" money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classics.

EjnarPik
04-23-2005, 04:21 AM
I have a good friend, which I treasure. Once he gets drunk, he wants to play poker. One day he kept on nagging me to play heads-up with him. I finally gave in, took him for $200, let him get off for free and told him never to ask me to play with him again. It worked for us.

So if you value your friend more than the money you won, that might be a solution.

Ejnar Pik, Southern-Docks.

IggyWH
04-23-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I chat with him on AIM at the time, but in general our gameplay doesn't change significantly other than comments about each other's play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one thing that worries me... as we talk crap to each other over AIM to keep it out of the chat. His AIM name is nothing at all like his poker handle, but I'm always worried Party will see a screenshot and put 2-and-2 together.

We never cheat, never talk about other players, never tell hole cards (even when one is out of the hand already) so we're never doing anything wrong. That doesn't mean Party won't think otherwise though.